Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PR card renewal/passprt copies/exit/entry record
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR card renewal/passprt copies/exit/entry record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:43am
So your case is going in the same direction as the "Sung Chan CHOI" case. But H&C are strongly dependant on how you present the case and therefor require a good preparation.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) we are not the ones make the decision.

Reading the above mentioned ruling and comparing with your situation., I would guess that there is a chance. But you do not have to convince us, you need to convince "them".
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 3:18pm
Hi

Originally posted by hfxresident hfxresident wrote:

<font ="apple-style-span"="" face="'Times New Roman', Times, serif" size="2">
Thank you guys. 
<font ="apple-style-span"="" face="'Times New Roman', Times, serif" size="2">People working in the CIC are humans just like ourselves thinking with reasons. Therefore, I wanted to get your feed back as to how you would feel about the case, if you were the person, say, approving the case, considering all other docs and checks were positive. What I think would be considered biased by most, as I feel, my father should be given another chance. 
<font ="apple-style-span"="" face="'Times New Roman', Times, serif" size="2">But I see some hope in this esp, when you said, "<span ="apple-style-span"="" style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">Having strong ties and particular having children whose lives are established and centralized in Canada, are H & C factors that, I think, loom much larger." I believe he has strong ties to Canada as his children are working & living in Canada right now. </span>A few points that may clear some misunderstandings. All his dependents were living in NS for five years since they all landed together, going to universities here and leading a normal immigrant-Canadian life. And to bear their expenses of getting educated and living here, the head of the family had no choice, but give less priority to his own permanent resident status and rather give more priority to his dependents' education and their resident status, who all now meet the residency requirement because of him. I mean, of course, they could work in a restaurant or something & not go to school and get a degree, but I trust and believe the Government would not have supported that idea. At least, I hope not.
<font ="apple-style-span"="" face="'Times New Roman', Times, serif" size="2">Yes, I understand and agree about having a licensed lawyer, I want my immigration lawyer to have at least a SOLID 10 years of experience, before I proceed with him. So, I was just trying to be vague regarding the 'representative' on this forum. But my father is working with a well-reputed, licensed lawyer.   

If you go to http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/index.html and search with text Residency Obligation, you will find that a high proportion of the appellants have spouses and children residing in Canada, and they are being refused, no H.& C.
PMM
hfxresident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfxresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:40pm
Jogruni, Thank you. I believe so too, but then again, you never know. But I do not believe that it is anything like "Sung Chan CHOI" as his is a twisted heap of issues with his PR card to start with. The idea is the same, yes. Anyways, I was just trying to discuss the matter with people who are into it, not trying to convince or anything. Smile

PMM - Perhaps, however, after reading all the cases on the page/link. I stand behind Canada/Federal/Visa Officers on ALL of them. Esp, the first few cases were obvious from their "fake" stories, some exaggerated a bit. Most of the stories were actually quite hilarious! And the PR who assaulted a victim w/ a gun..... "Jesus!! What the hell were you thinking man??" - is what I'd tell him. Wink

Edited by hfxresident - 01 Nov 2011 at 9:56pm
HFX: Sent Apr2010 | Letter Oct2010 | Process Feb2011 | Transfer Mar2011 | Test Sep2011 | Oath Dec2011

Comments are for discussion purposes only. Not intended to be relied upon.
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:16am
Hi hfxresident,
on one side "Sung Chan CHOI" case is different, because of the PR card issues, but on the other side he could have worked, even without the PR card. He did not know that, but I am not sure if this was the #1 reason for the appeal. But also the motivation to support the family is a good argument and the amount of time being short.

From reading manuals of enforcement and overseas procedures, I got the impression, that it is way more difficult to get a TD abroad, than entering Canada over land via US. (OP10 - see 8.4) It is mentioned as a legal option to enter Canada without proper documentation (expired PR card).

To obtain a TD in an Embassy, you need to prove that you complied the residency obligations or have reasons on H&C grounds. Without TD you cannot board a commercial carrier.

On a land border the situation is different. BSO only have to determine the PR status. If you can proof the status, even if you are not in compliance with the RO, you have to be granted entry. (read 11.4 carefully) If the officer has doubts about the RO, the only thing they can do is to inform a local office for further investigations (which still could result in removal order). But they have to allow you to enter.
(ENF04 - see 11 especially 11.4)

If travelling to a land border via the US is an option, maybe this is the way to go and hope, that the inspection on the border is not looking into the ROs (in many cases I heard, that expired PR cards only triggered, that the officer reminded to apply for a renewal - yet no guaranty). Once in Canada, you can try to stay long enough to fully comply the 730 days rule before reapplication.

This procedure is mentioned in manuals, actually recommended in cases, when you cannot get the TD.

Depending on the days present, it could mean that your father cannot leave the country for 2 years.

I am no expert, and this is not my decision, but I would look into this scenario. IMHO the worst case, that could happen ist that you have to present the case on H&C. But it contains a good chance to enter without going through that.

I will go through that procedure in a few weeks, but I am in a different situation. I am in full compliance with RO. I just rather discuss the situation on Canadian soil at a POE, than overseas, with a chance of being denied the TD and therefor be refused to board a plane destined to Canada.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:47am

I have a long (longer) post (been writing it offline) to make about H & C grounds and some related issues in determinations to revoke PR status due to a breach of the Residency Obligation. I will post that shortly.

What jogruni says about obtaining a Travel Document from abroad versus what happens at a POE is indeed well illuminated in the cases decided in the Federal Court and before the IAD. They are obviously a lot, lot tougher on PRs abroad applying for a TD.

That said, a major caution is in order:

In the post I am about to put up here there is one case involving a PR who was found to be inadmissible due to making a misrepresentation at the POE, that finding based on the inference that he did not divulge the fact that he had previously been denied a Travel Document. This individual traveled to the U.S. and entered Canada from Buffalo, N.Y. The Panel found that the PR withheld the information (about having been denied a Travel Document) from immigration when he calculatedly entered Canada through the United States. Now, this particular individual was also found to otherwise lack credibility and failed to satisfactorily explain how it was that he was able to obtain entry via a land crossing from Buffalo. But, again, he was found to be inadmissible due to the inference he made a misrepresentation (by omission) at the POE.

Remember, 40(1) explicitly refers to "directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of" the immigration laws.

There is another case in my next post involving PR inadmissibility due to misrepresentation; this case, the CHUN MAN “VICTOR” POON case , and it involves stupid 1 and stupids 2, and is another of those cases involving a consultant that makes me cringe (albeit these PRs were lost cases before consulting with the consultant so I guess they were just doing what they could to attempt to regain their PR status). Bottom line, they managed to get into Canada after having been absent for many years. The consultant (stupid 1) advised them (assisted them actually) in making application for new PR cards containing misrepresentations as to how long they had been in Canada. Stupid enough to make that application, since once in Canada all they had to do was stay and wait until 730 days had passed and they would have been good to stay and keep PR status. But they were lucky. The got new PR cards. Then they, being stupids 2, filed an application to sponsor the children they had had while not living in Canada. It was this application that brought their breach of the RO to the attention of CIC and then things went very awry.

In any event, it is worth emphasizing, again, that 40(1) explicitly refers to "directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of" the immigration laws. So a failure to divulge how long one was outside Canada upon seeking entry at a POE, and in particular, any overt misrepresentation about how long one was outside Canada, could, it appears, be considered a misrepresentation that in turn could result in the PR being inadmissible and losing PR status.

I have not spent much time looking at the cases regarding misrepresentations by PRs, but it appears to me that this language has been fairly broadly applied. A fairly recent case, the Yong Tian DENG case, emphasized that the duty of candor does not allow one to plead "while I did not disclose, you did not ask." (PR removed, lost status, 8 years after landing, based on failure of his sponsoring wife, during the original processing of the PR app, to disclose, in a letter to CIC asking about the timing of their application and in which she said that she was pregnant, but failed to disclose that she was pregnant by a man other than the husband she was sponsoring.)

Anyway, my next post is a really long one, long even relative to my norm.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:51am
H & C considerations in PR RO decisions

Foremost, while many decisions by the IAD and the Federal Courts have articulated a number of H & C grounds relevant to a PR's application for special relief notwithstanding a breach of the residency obligation, it is worth emphasizing that in making a determination as to whether or not a PR should be denied a Travel Document or issued a removal order due to a RO breach, the statute itself requires H & C grounds to be taken into account; in particular, in 28(c) it states:
Quote a determination by an officer that humanitarian and compassionate considerations relating to a permanent resident, taking into account the best interests of a child directly affected by the determination, justify the retention of permanent resident status overcomes any breach of the residency obligation prior to the determination.

H & C grounds must be considered, and in particular, the best interests of a child directly affected by the determination must be considered.

While they do not state just how or why or to what extent the Residency Obligation was breached, the Karim BENABID case seems typical of those in which H & C grounds based on the best interests of a child have strong sway in allowing a PR to retain PR status despite the breach of the RO.

Another decision illustrating the influential role the interests of a child will have can be found in the panel's decision in the PENG MING CHU case, where the PR was present in Canada merely 392 days in the assessed five year period, what the panel considered to be a "serious breach" of the RO weighing heavily against granting special relief.

That panel found, in deciding to set aside the removal order made against the PR:
Quote The panel has taken into account the best interests of a child directly affected by its decision, has weighed the evidence, considered and balanced the many factors relevant to humanitarian and compassionate considerations for granting special relief in all of the circumstances of the case and applied the relevant jurisprudence accordingly. In the process, the panel has concluded that there are sufficient humanitarian and compassionate considerations to warrant the grant of special relief in all of the circumstances of the case.

Just to be clear, the most commonly expressed statement of issues in a PR Residency Obligation case is straight-forward, and two-fold:

1 -- did the PR meet the 730 day residency requirement (before IAD and on appeal this is phrased in terms of asking whether a decision to deny the Travel Document or enforce a removal order was "valid")

2 -- even if the PR did not meet the Residency Obligation, are there sufficient humanitarian and compassionate considerations such as would justify the retention of permanent resident status

See: Torsten Olov NENZEN , ANAHIT DILANYAN , Zhe LI among many, many others.

Some decisions explicitly couch part two above in terms of whether or not there are there
Quote sufficient humanitarian and compassionate considerations, taking into account the best interests of a child directly affected by the determination, such as would justify the retention of permanent resident status.

The latter is clearly based, directly, on the language of the statute itself.

Clearly, the best interests of affected children looms as perhaps the most significant H & C consideration in whether or not special relief should be given a PR who has breached the RO.

Thus, while I do not doubt the accuracy of PMM's statement that there have been many cases decided against PRs, based on the breach of the RO, despite the PR having children in Canada (I came across three or four that to one extent or another fit this), I do think it is misleading to the extent it may be taken to suggest that this ground is not a particularly persuasive or influential one. In contrast, it is, obviously, the one most significant issue weighing in favor of special relief. Indeed, in my perusal of decisions including those by an IAD panel, it is only in the more egregious cases that having children living in Canada has not been a deciding factor in favour of a PR who has breached the RO, and those are usually cases in which the child or children involved are either living separate and apart from the parent anyway or are really well-established in a life in another country. For example, in the CHUN MAN “VICTOR” POON case the children involved were mere visitors to Canada (actually this is one of those cases illustrating . . . cannot help but call it the stupidity of some people: they had been absent from Canada for many years and had children while abroad, in their home country, and then they came to Canada and obtained entry, a side story in itself, but in any event if they had not applied to sponsor their children for PR their breach of the RO would not have come to light . . . all they had to do was wait another year). Moreover, they were also deported for misrepresentation attendant their return to Canada (misrepresenting the amount of time they had been in Canada, obviously to avoid a residency examination and the issuance of a removal order -- in fact this was largely pursuant to advice they received from a consultant . . . maybe that stupidity attribution should have been directed at the consultant).

The HONG YU ZHOU case is, perhaps, typical of the sort of case in which a child in Canada has not saved the PR his or her status, but if one reads that decision it is clear why the child's interest did not save this PR's status, and actually there are multiple reasons. A key reason, though, is that the pattern of absence had already been a large part of the relationship with the child, and so the best interests of the child in Canada did not require the [PR] to stay in Canada.

In contrast, again, see the decisions in the Karim BENABID case and in the PENG MING CHU case, which seem (in my brief review of such cases) to be more typical of the way in which the interests of children may warrant special relief based on H & C grounds.

strict liability

In the meantime ANAHIT DILANYAN is notable because the applicants were only 20 days short of the PR RO. They lost, they lost PR status.

Indeed, the panel stated:
Quote The appellants are, therefore, 20 days short of meeting the residency obligation. As the residency obligation imposes a strict liability on the appellants, the panel finds the refusal to issue the appellants a travel document valid in law.

"Strict liability" is a strong term in law. Usually it means no excuses. H & C grounds are, in many ways, about excuses. What I think this panel was articulating is that a PR who does not meet the 730 day requirement is in breach. Excuses do not change that. What H & C grounds do is allow "special relief" and thus, despite a breach, in cases where warranted due to H & C grounds, the individual may be allowed to retain PR status, again, despite the breach. In other words, persuasive H & C grounds do not change the fact that a breach has occurred. H & C grounds may, however, provide relief from the consequences of a breach that has occurred.

Just being close to the 730 day requirement is not enough. In particular, without real H & C grounds, being close is not enough.

H & C grounds to be considered

Many cases offer a clear statement of the H & C grounds to be considered, including, for example, the ANAHIT DILANYAN case in which the factors to be considered were enumerated:

Quote --   the extent of the non-compliance and efforts to return to Canada,
--   appellant’s initial and continuing degree of establishment in Canada,
--   his or her reasons for departure from Canada,
--   reasons for continued, or lengthy, stay abroad,
--   ties to Canada in terms of family,
--   whether reasonable attempts to return to Canada were made at the first opportunity
--    whether in dismissing the appeal the appellant or his family, in Canada, would suffer any undue, undeserved or inordinate hardship,
--   the best interests of a child directly affected by the decision, and,
--   whether or not there are unique or special circumstances present in the case which establish sufficient grounds for “special relief.”

Another panel (Diz Lopez v. CIC ), articulated the H & C grounds to be considered this way:
--   the extent of the non-compliance with the residency obligation;
--   the length of time spent in Canada and the degree to which the appellant is established here;
-- the reasons for the appellant leaving and remaining outside of Canada;
-- the best interests of a child or children directly affected by the decision;
-- the degree of hardship that would be experienced by the appellant if he were not allowed to return to Canada as a permanent resident.

Yet another panel (HONG YU ZHOU) stated the H & C grounds to be considered this way:
Quote in addition to the best interests of a child directly affected, the following factors are particularly relevant to residency obligation appeals: the extent of the non-compliance with the residency obligation; the reasons for the departure and stay abroad; the degree of establishment in Canada, initially and at the time of hearing; family ties to Canada; whether attempts to return to Canada were made at the first opportunity; hardship and dislocation to family members in Canada if the appellant is removed from or is refused admission to Canada; hardship to the appellant if removed from or refused admission to Canada; and whether there are other unique or special circumstances that merit special relief. These factors are not exhaustive and the weight given to each may vary depending on the circumstances of each individual case.

Similarly, H & C are grounds are specified in the Cheng-Hsin YAO case, including, for example, the degree of establishment of the [PR] outside Canada (presumably in contrast to) the continuing connections the appellant has to Canada, including connections to family members here and the hardship and dislocation to family members in Canada if the appellant ultimately ceases to be a permanent resident as a result of his or her non-compliance.

The Cheng-Hsin YAO case is also one of those cases in which there were children in Canada involved, but it did not save the PR; similar to the HONG YU ZHOU case; likewise, the pattern of absence indicted that not having status to stay in Canada would not be a hardship on the children.

In both these cases, Yao and Zhou, it should be noted that they both had spouses with status in Canada and that if their intentions were indeed to settle permanently in Canada, they could be sponsored for PR again.

side note:

I did not keep track while doing this research, but I was surprised by the number of cases that involved PRs during the first five years following landing. For one reason or another, this usually involved PRs who needed a Travel Document, who applied for a Travel Document, were denied, and appealed. For example, in the case of HONG YU ZHOU the PR card was lost.

By the way, the HONG YU ZHOU case is of interest, as well, because after his application for a TD had been denied, he entered Canada via Buffalo without informing the border officers that he had been found in breach of the RO and had been denied a TD. Thus the individual was found to have made a material misrepresentation. The panel referred to the "duty of candor" and found that this misrepresentation constituted a violation of the IRPA.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 1:46pm
My suggestion to use a land POE is not to make any misrepresentation or to make false representations to sneek in. I just look at the procedures and kind of questioning you will be facing at the different steps.

Obtaining a TD:
I would not suggest to apply for a TD, if you are considering to enter over land. A succesful application basicaly involves to completely explain the case and ask for admission based on H&C grounds. If refused it will make "over land" much more difficult (you have to disclose that). But still no reason for denial of entry over land.

To issue a TD, the officer has to find out, not just your status as a PR, but also the fact if you are in comliance with RO. If not, whether there are H&C reasons to let you in. Overall to get a TD you need to convince the officer about H&C ground. This is the most difficult part.

entering over land:
The POE inspection on a land crossing is very different from the TD application, because here ONLY the status or the PR is important.
Originally posted by ENF04 - 11.4 ENF04 - 11.4 wrote:

When a permanent resident appears at a POE for examination, the BSO must determine whether the person is a permanent resident.
BSOs must remain cognizant of the fact that the Act gives permanent residents of Canada the right to enter Canada at a POE once it is established that a person is a permanent resident, regardless of non-compliance with the residency obligation in A28 or the presence of other inadmissibilities.
BSOs can refuse entry to a permanent resident only when the person has already lost the status in accordance with the provisions of A46 (such as a final determination has been made that they have failed to comply with the residency obligations or when a removal order comes into effect).
In other words, once a permanent resident’s status is established, the person may enter Canada by right and the immigration examination under IRPA concludes.

This is the huge advantage, that the RO are not important on a land crossing. You only have to prove, that you are a PR with copies about. Technically the officer is not even allowed to ask you about compliance with RO. This is not his job at that point. He only has to determine the status and then the inspection is over.

This why, there is a good chance, that you will not really be questioned at all. A posession os a even expired PR card, and the existance of a FOSS database entry, should be enough to prove that.

But still you should be prepared to present the whole case!!! Have all your documents ready, just in case.

If you are basically waved through, you just need to wait until you have the 730 days together and THEN apply for a pr card renewal and you're done.

If the officer discovers that your father fails the RO, you have to present the case, just as if you started with the TD. But you are in Canada and not abroad.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 2:37am
For a PR who does not have a currently valid PR card in possession, the huge advantage of entering Canada via a land crossing, as opposed to applying for a Travel Document, is that the level of scrutiny is, simply, a lot lower. Additionally, from most accounts, POE officers seem to be far more liberal in allowing entry even when they perceive a Residency Obligation problem, and, in particular, H & C grounds seem to do better at the POE.

Hint: once a removal order is issued, it gets a lot tougher. IAD tends to uphold the officer (who writes the report) and minister (minister's delegate who issues the removal order, both usually done at the POE) in these decisions. The Federal Courts are not sympathetic (many judges having expressed the view that the Residency Obligation is so liberal on its face that a failure to meet this minimal requirement does NOT deserve much sympathy unless there are solid grounds for special relief).

For someone who has breached the RO, appealing to the positive discretion officers have at a POE is the one best shot for gaining entry without a removal order being issued. The objective is simple: without deceit or ruse or evasiveness, convince the officer at the POE the person is a PR who is genuinely committed to living in Canada and deserves to be allowed entry even if there is a technical breach of the RO.

Yes, of course, the ideal scenario is approaching the POE and getting waived through. For a PR without a valid PR card in possession that is less and less likely these days. Presenting a passport from a visa-exempt country and not revealing one is a PR is, probably, misrepresentation (direct or indirect withholding of material information), though I believe this has been routinely, to some extent deliberately overlooked . . . but this is another aspect of things that, given the ever-increasing level of scrutiny at the borders, that may become more of an issue going forward.

In any event: There is NOT much of an advantage in being entitled to enter Canada once identity and status are ascertained. All it does is get the PR into Canada and then only after an examination. And, to be clear, while entitled to entry, that does not mean entitled to entry without being issued a removal order, and once a removal order has been issued . . . well, remember: Once a removal order is issued, time in Canada following that will NOT count toward meeting the Residency Obligation.

Thus, to stand on one's right to "conclude" the examination is, in essence, making the argument that the officer should interpret things in the most negative light feasible. That is likely to be a Report followed by a Removal Order, but even if it is just referred for investigation that investigation will most likely proceed rather quickly, and if compliance with the RO is not proven by the PR, a removal order will be issued, and, again, any time in Canada following that will NOT count toward meeting the RO
(unless and until there is an adjudication in the PR's favour of course).

Moreover, as a practical matter, the way the questions go at the POE, a POE officer usually has asked a lot of the key questions before much of anything is established . . . indeed, many of the foundational questions are asked at the PIL, like "where do you live? where do you work? where have you been outside Canada? how long?" and variations of these.

In the meantime, a valid PR card is the only documentation that presumptively establishes that the person presenting it has PR status. Even at this, the POE officers are entitled to ask questions that will assist them in verifying that the individual presenting the PR card is the individual named on the card. Any significant doubts in the PIL officer's mind, there is a referral to secondary.

Not having a valid PR card in possession is, in most situations, an almost guaranteed referral to secondary (though I suspect many PRs present their passports and the PIL officer pulls up the "client" info on the screen and verifies status and sees no cause for a referral and waives the PR through).

Once sent to secondary some of the same questions will, oft times, be asked again. And again, the officer is entitled to ask sufficient questions to verify the identity and status of the person. The officers have a great deal of discretion in this.

At any point this exchange becomes adversarial, let alone confrontational, get out your patience cap because it could be a long, long while there at the POE. Even citizens are sometimes held up for hours at a time, under the rubric of a security check or customs check or . . . there are many reasons. But verifying identity is the key one.

And sure, a PR can present some essential documents and decline to answer questions related to a residency examination. And then wait while they do an exhaustive electronic database search for anything and everything related to confirming identity and checking security. And when that search does not give them reason to detain, the officer can:
-- allow the PR entry and simply make some notes in CAIPS
-- allow entry but refer the case for investigation (which I suspect will be done forthwith)
-- issue a Report and refer the matter to the Minister's delegate, usually but not always on site which in turn may:
-- -- result in a brief hearing of sorts, resulting in the issuance of a removal order or not (PR should make his best argument for H & C grounds in addition to any argument that there was no breach of the RO), or
-- -- if the minister's delegate is not on site and a telephonic review is not available, the PR will be allowed to enter while the Report will be put into process

Frankly, none of those works well for anyone who is technically, let alone significantly, in breach of the RO.

In other words: Just plain a very bad idea to get into an adverserial mode at the POE. Not going to go well, and it is especially is not going to go well for anyone who is not in strict compliance with the Residency Obligation.

The reports overwhelmingly suggest that persuasion as to deserving entry into Canada works the best by far, by a wide, wide margin, for anyone who is in any way in a questionable posture relative to admissibility (including inadmissibility due to a residency obligation breach).

Regarding misrepresentation at the POE: Make no mistake, the cases about misrepresentation by PRs emphasize the duty of candor and this means that no overt misrepresentation is necessary, that even if not asked a relevant question an inference of indirect misrepresentation via withholding material information can be deemed to be misrepresentation.

And the latter leads back to the deportment side of the POE encounter: there is a high risk that the inferences are going to go a lot more toward the extreme, and not a good extreme, if the encounter turns adversarial, let alone confrontational. Just plain not a good idea to go there.

(btw: timbit and I have had this conversation in some respects before in another thread here, timbit leaning more heavily on the PR being entitled to not engage in a Residency Examination at the border if the PR chooses not to. But, this really only works for someone who does not need to be so adversarial. For someone in breach of the RO, the POE officers are their best hope for leniency. Really. And the most practical approach is to be upfront with the CBSA officer at the POE and try to convince that officer of a genuine intent to make Canada home and otherwise deserving of retaining PR status.)

jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 4:38am
I do not completely understand your point. There is no doubt that the POE examination is not as strict as the examination and documentation required to get a TD.

For a PR in compliance with RO and from a US visa waiver country I do not see any disadvantage in coming to a land POE. Actually there should be no difference in POE examination on airport. It is just the fact that you are not allowed to board a commercial carrier. I just see a lot of practical advantages.

Most of the speculations, what might happen or could happen are totally not backed up by the manuals ie "ENF 04 PoE Examination". To me this is pure speculation. And it is only a risk for PRs breaching the RO. But if you are in breach, you will have the same problems to get a TD and the only way is through H&C ground.

For me I have decided to go to a land POE for the following reasons:
I am well above the 730 days so I am safe RO. But trying to get a TD means:
 - additional traveling to Berlin
 - proving the status of PR
 - proving compliance with RO
entering over land means:
 - cheaper flights from US
 - proving only status as PR
 - no requirement to prove compliance with RO
That makes the land POE interesting and I feel safer to discuss my situation on Canadian soil.

But for people in breach, there is a small chance to be waved through, without misinterpretation. Okay I would not write on my forehead, that I am in breach of RO. But there is a chance.
I do not want to encourage people to cheat, but you have 99% chance to enter, maybe with further inspections following.
aeem23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeem23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 5:00pm
I have been following with a particular interest this threat and also I would like to participate shearing a situation involving to my family. My brother and his family came to Canada almost 8 years ago and after worked to survive for a lot of different very different jobs to his profession he decided  to get a certification as helicopeter pilot here. After that,  he sent resumés to many compannies and any of those hire him and  he also have to pay the loan he lent to get his certification. With that situation, he accepted a job offer from an overseas companny and he worked away on the Pacific Ocean every shift for 5-6 months and come to Canada 1-2 months to stay with his family. Meanwhile his wife and children get the Canadian Citezenship but he didn't beacuse the RO. Now, his PR has expired and he filled a renewal (he was around his 730 days). He wait here in Canada for almos 8 moths, but he was called again on duty and he left and then he was called to an interview. Unfortunately due to the kind of job he is doing in the Ocean, it wasn't possible to present himself to the interview. Some person from Immigration called to his home and said my brother could present on the Consulate in his country and then an official will interview him. We don't know if that offcial will allow him to get his PR or will issue a  removal order after that. So, he has different scenarios: He will present to the Canadian Consulate and the official approve the TD to he comes to Canada to pick up the Card or he will be denied and a Removal will be issued. In that case we aren't sure if it's whortly appeals that decision. He thinks is appealable because his family is here, his home is here, he pay taxes here, etc. Or decide to lost his status and start a new process being sponsored for his wife (that process takes approx. 18 moths). His wife should travel to met him when he is off-duty. But anyway, he will be more and more away from his enterely family and home. Have anyone the experience to be sponsored for a spouse after lost the PR Status? is there any kind of penalty?

Any toughts or experiences from you guys will be appreciated. I know the 730 days sounds like very liberal, but also, (as dpenabill said) we are in a global world and sometimes the job opportunities are more wider overseas that here.  That doesn't means you don't want to being  as Canadian Permanent Resident. You just are looking for a best future for you and  your family. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic