Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with sponsorship/refugee claim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronenvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with sponsorship/refugee claim
    Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:44pm

Hi guys i hope u can help me

i have a some concerns about my status and options right now, 
so i had come to Canada in set 2009 and had apply for a refugee protection in feb 2010, got my work permit SIN, IFH, etc(which ex. feb2012) 
I was suppose to have my hearing this feb and the IRB send the letter to a old address,twice,  so i never got the letter for the hearing which means i never went,twice!, 

by the end of Feb this year a got a letter to go to Mississauga at airport road for a voice recording program which i am in right now, and they had close my file, i hire a lawyer, my wife had to help me and paid 2000$ to re-open the file and he cancel an interview for a PRRA saying there is no need because they have re-open the file, right now my lawyer wanna work on the PIF because when i filled it i did it alone and completely wrong by forgetting to mention that i have another nationality, Uruguayan. and we are waiting for the IRB or the CIC to call to schedule the hearing. 

Last may this year me and my wife got married and we filled a spousal sponsorship last week of may.  we been together for more than a year and half and is completely genuine with proofs (which we sent with the application, pics, tickets of shows, family pic, wedding pic, joint bank accounts etc,). 

so my first question is:
1) I want to withdraw my refugee claim, can I stay waiting for the spousal sponsorship? or will I be removed from Canada?

The reason that i want to withdraw my claim is because i am coming from Israel and from what i research and many lawyers had told me its actually impossible to get approved and that the % of people who get approved are very very low 2 3 % , plus i also have the other citizenship the Uruguayan one, they could easily tell me go to Uruguay. ( and i really really don't want!, i wanna stay here in Canada with my wife! we don't wanna be separated )

2) if i withdraw my refugee claim,Will I still have my benefits like to extend the work permit IFH and SIN ? 

Thank you so so so much for reading my post please comment if u had experience or know something about all this, me and my wife are very worried that i will get departure because i am coming from israel again and its so so complicated, + to be honest all this is soo much money to the lawyer and goverment fees, so right now all the budget is going for advils!  
Description: Wink 

hope u having a good day and sorry to make it long

WorriedMex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorriedMex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 12:06pm
Sorry to say, but either you are a TRUE REFUGEE CLAIMANT, who will get the Government's grants like work permit, IFH and status to remain in the country, OR you are sponsored by your wife, meant to say, she will assume all the responsibilities that come along with the SPONSORSHIP, like to pay for your health issues (IFH).

This is not about the benefits / your convenience Angry.
One look,
One thought,
One touch,
One word... CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER!!!
@ Toronto sent 23Feb12 │ e-CAS received 21Mar12 │ in process 30Nov12 | test 10Sep13 | ツツツ OATH 21Nov13 ♬♪♩♬�
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 12:39pm
You have a lawyer. Talk to your lawyer about these things.

Whether or not you can stay in Canada while the sponsored partner PR application is being processed depends on the status of the removal process . . . since you were scheduled for the assessment interview I suspect you have a problem here but I do NOT know and again, your lawyer should be able to explain things a lot more reliably than anyone here can.

Moreover, people claiming refugee status and then applying for a sponsored partner application are going to be examined closely, for obvious reasons. The inland application process could take a long while for you.

The expense is part of the deal. Modern, industrialized society with a consumer-based economy: just staying alive seems to cost more than an ordinary bloke can afford.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mfeq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfeq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 1:31pm
They cancelled the PRRA interview but does that mean you were already given the PRRA kit to complete?  If yes, you could still be faced with the possibility of the removal order being re-enforced.  Unless the rules have changed.

I sponsored my husband but we were only common law at the time we filed the application.  When I met him, his refugee claim was in process and he was already given the PRRA kit.  He was requested to come in for the PRRA interview to advice him that his PRRA application was rejected and that he had 3 weeks to leave Canada.  If your sponsorship first stage approval comes through before the removal order is re-enforced, you can stay in Canada. In our case, CIC was ready to give us first stage approval on the family sponsorship when the removal order was re-enforced but CIC expedited the issuance of the formal approval so that my husband did not have to leave Canada. 

Refugee Claim - October 2005
Refused Refugee Claim - February 2006
PRRA Application Deadline - June 2007
Sponsorship Filed - June 2007
Removal Order - June 2009
First Stage Approval - June 2009
Grant of Permanent Resident - October 2010
mfeq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfeq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 2:23pm
I wish to address your 2nd question based on our case.

When we were approved for the first stage sponsorship application, my husband was not issued new SIN but I believe since his work permit and health coverage were valid for only 12 months, we renewed his health coverage which was still renewable after 12 months but his work permit was valid until the permanent residency application decision was made. 

My husband and I decided that we were going to let the refugee claim file run its course and see which comes first - the PRRA decision or the first stage approval.  So we were never faced with the hardship of him not being allowed to work and not having any health coverage.  These are very important financial concerns.  If you ask me, I would not withdraw the refugee claim as that was what we did.

Re-reading your post, it sounds like your file has been re-opened and as a result over-riding the PRRA stage so that a hearing for the refugee claim may be scheduled.  If I understand correctly, then you are exempt from being removed since you have a pending sponsorship application.  But again, I wish to point out that you need to make sure that the rules have not changed since our applications commenced back in 2005 and 2007.

One last thing I would like to add is that we were given first stage approval without interview.  Review your application and all the evidence re genuine relationship.  For us, I did not bother including pictures that were just the two of us, always group pictures with my family and long time friends who provided us with reference letters as well.   Also, only photos of special celebrations such as Christmases, weddings and christenings.  I submitted 6 reference letters from my mother, 2 sisters and 2 friends whom I have known for no less than 10 years and my supervisor at work whom I have worked with for over 10 years as well. 

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic