Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsoring Niece from abroad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:01am
yes, a neice. . . who is ORPHANED . . .
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:43pm
HI

Originally posted by nu_bee nu_bee wrote:

Ok I am new to this forum and my brother (a permanent resident) is going to try to sponsor my daughter (ergo his niece)... It says in the http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp<h2>Who can be sponsored</h2>

You can sponsor:

• brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters
                or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not
    married or in a common-law
               relationship
  • another relative of any age or relationship but only
    under specific
                       conditions
    (see Note below)

<a name="who_cannot" id="who_cannot"></a>Note:
you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only
           if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal
partner,
           a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew
or niece
           who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do
not have
           any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or
registered
           as an Indian under the Indian Act.... so doesn't this mean that the sponsorship of nieces are allowed?...

since I am new I would just like to clarify this point of discussion.... thanks and I hope someone can clarify this point ;-)

Sure they can sponsored if you are single never married, you have no children, your parents and grandparents are dead. And you don't have either a Brother/Sister/Aunt/Uncle/Nephew/Niece living in Canada.
PMM
nu_bee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nu_bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 10:20pm
Thanks PMM... yup he is single, never married, has no children our parents and grandparents are deceased and no one else lives in Canada.  Thanks for the clarification, sometimes wording and punctuation can be misleading especially in legalese parlance.  
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:49am
The Kulvir Kaur Brar vs. MIC case is a recent example of an attempt to adopt a neice and sponsor the neice for PR, the application being denied because of a finding that the adoption was for the purpose of obtaining status in Canada . . . as in not a genuine relationship.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 1:53pm

Hi

Originally posted by nu_bee nu_bee wrote:

Thanks PMM... yup he is single, never married, has no children our parents and grandparents are deceased and no one else lives in Canada.  Thanks for the clarification, sometimes wording and punctuation can be misleading especially in legalese parlance.  

You must ensure that he doesn't have a spouse/partner and their are no Aunts/Uncles/Nieces/Nephews/Brother/Sisters in Canada.

Edited by pmm - 30 Aug 2011 at 1:57pm
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic