Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engineering degree recognized??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engineering degree recognized??
    Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 3:54am
Hi all,
I've got recently my immigration visa and moving to quebec(Montreal) soon.
I have an engineering degree(Diploma+Master)from Germany, plus 2 years work experience...
I have heard that if i want to work in Canada, i have to get my degrees recognized by the province which is quebec and from the order of engineers too.
My question is, is it possible to work without them or is it a must??
And from what i've heard, it is very difficult to get the degress taken outside Canada recognized, and the work experience that i had in Germany won't be accepted or recognized at all...

Please i would be very glad to get any help on these topics...
justincc68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justincc68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 8:57am
I think it would be better for you to get your degree verified as it would increase your chances of getting a good job in a reputed company.
Zygurn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zygurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 9:18am
I'm a Civil Engineer and from what I've looked at, it seems to be a must. All Engineering jobs I've looked at have as a requirement being part of OIQ. First, you must make your application to OIQ and after their assessment of your application, you may get approved; if this is the case, you will become a junior engineer and your experience may be recognized, but only up to 2 years will be recognized. To become an Engineer, you must have at least 1 year of Canadian Experience, juniors may need up to 3 if they're starting from zero though. You may want to look on OIQ website: http://www.oiq.qc.ca/practice/permits/junior-permits/degree-other-country.html for more information.

I will be moving this year to Quebec as well and will most likely have to start from zero. As for jobs, the only ones I've seen I could apply are retail/sales/customer service kind of jobs. There's a bonus for being member of the OIQ though, outside of being able to work as an engineer, you can also become part of ReseauIQ, but only till you're member of OIQ (doesn't matter if you're a junior): http://www.reseauiq.qc.ca/ which is apparently a forum of Quebec's engineers where you can contribute and network with them and find jobs more easily and get discounts from many things as well such as insurance, travels, hotels, etc).

That's all I know so far but till I move, I won't know for sure much more. Hope this information helps you.
sachnbapat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sachnbapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 10:47pm
HI,

I am an Electronics Engineer from India. Can someone throw light on how I can get my qualifications assessed in Calgary.

Regards,
Regards,

Sachin Bapat
Vince View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 12:12pm
@suse
Yes you can work without the credential recognition it all depends on the employer. I never got mine recognized. You should do it if: you have to put a stamp on your drawings or calculations and if you want to be recognized as a Canadian engineer. But again it's not a must.

@
sachnbapat
Take a look at this site:
http://employment.alberta.ca/Immigration/4512.html

Vince

Edited by Vince - 18 Jan 2010 at 12:12pm
Wilma and Vince Living the Canadian dream!
http://www.wvincanada.com
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:53am
Hi all,
Talking about engineering fields in Canada..
Let me explain and demonstrate my experience since i landed here in Canada, Alberta
I have a BSc in Mech. Engineering, 19 years of experience (abroad) in Designs, Consulting, Project management and QA&C, When i first arrived, i applied to APEGGA The Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta, a self-governing association fulfilling the mandate given to it by The Engineering, Geological and Geophysical Professions (EGGP) Act.
It's a mandate to get your designation as a P Eng. in order to practice engineering in Canada.
They assessed my credentials, and found that i am eligible for registration after completing 2 courses (Engineering Economy and, ASME Codes) as Mech. Eng.
When i completed those courses, I wrote the PPE, professional Practice Exam, once you pass, you get the EIT designation, Engineer In Training (under supervision of a P Eng.) for 1 year, usually 2 years for fresh graduate engineers. after one year of Supervised experience, the P Eng. acts as a reference and advise the association of your overall performance, then you get your designation as P Eng. with your ring, and stamp.
In brief, you CAN NOT practice engineering in Canada without your designation... you can work whatever job (non-professional job), but to be a professional engineer (P Eng.), and take responsibility over what you design and consultation services, you have to undergo the above procedures, not necessairly to start from Zero, not at all. They compare your education to the Canadian Benchmark, then they recommend your upgrade courses to meet the Canadian codes.
Any Questions, I will be happy to help.ation of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta

"Canada, where good people live"
Zygurn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zygurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 9:10am
So here's a bit more info for those applying to Quebec: (in french of course)
http://www.immigrer.com/faq/rubrique/Metier-dingenieur.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic