Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lost PR status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardchu01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost PR status
    Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:18am
Hi I just want to know if my daughter loses her PR status, can I restore it? Can I still sponsor her in the future?
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 12:21pm
There is no process to "restore" PR status.
On a similar note - you should know that PR status is also not "automatically lost".  You can only 'lose' status one of 4 ways:
- removal order
- voluntarily giving it up
- becoming a Canadian citizen
- and a fourth that I can't remember

All of which are not automatic processes.   Explain the details of your particular situation so that the user community can give you better advice on the topic.

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:41pm
Largely ditto, with clarification:

If a PR loses PR status they are, then, a Foreign National.

For someone who has "lost" PR status, any application to visit, study, work, or immigrate to Canada must be through the same application process as any other Foreign National.

So, as Harmonia says, there is no process to "restore" PR status.

I am assuming, though, you are probably talking about her having failed to meet the PR residency obligation and thus not being entitled to obtain a Travel Document to come to Canada. Or, she is otherwise in breach of the residency requirement and you apprehend she will not be allowed to re-enter Canada as a PR without a removal order being issued.

Thus, I am assuming she has not yet formally lost PR status but you believe she will if she attempts to return to Canada.

Look at the information about obtaining a Travel Document. And in particular look for information about arguing H & C grounds. Also look at the operational manual ENF 23 Loss of Permanent Resident Status (this is a link), particularly at section 7.7 beginning on page . . . I forget, around page 18 or 19. If there is an H & C argument, worth the attempt.

Moreover, she must be adjudicated to have lost her current PR status before any other application for PR can be made . . . such as if you are qualified and she is eligible to be sponsored . . . and applying for the TD and getting rejected is the routine way to do that.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:09pm
Also depends on her age, and whether she still qualifies under family class as a dependent child if sponsored (if PR status is lost).

Naseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 11:38pm
Hi I applied for my pr renewal on 22nd of June 2011 and my application was transferred to the local Calgary office on july11 2011.My pr is expiring on 30july 2011 and i need to travel urgently due to some family issues please help me what should i do.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:35am
Unfortuantely, even with Urgent Processing for PR Card renewals, there is no guarantee that you will get your card in time to meet your travel plans.

Leaving Canada is not the problem.  Coming back is.

If you leave without your PR card, you will need a travel document to re-enter.  Also, take note that if you apply for a travel document, if you do not meet the 730 day residency obligation - you could run into problems surrounding your PR status.  If you do meet the residency obligation, there shouldn't be a problem - other than how long it takes to get a travel document issued.  From what I've been reading, this largely depends on what visa office you're going through.

Naseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:59am
my working visa office is Calgary please help me if i will not be there on time my marital status is destroying.please find some possibility for me i will be greatly thankful to you. 
Naseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:07am
can you please help me when I am meeting my residency obligations.I came on
7th july,2006 and left on 9 sep 2006
entered canada on 7june,2008 left 18 sep 2009
entered 1 june 2010 left 20 nov,2010
entered 7june till present but have to travel on 26 aug can you tell me when i meet the requirements and when to travel is safe so that i can get the travel document.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 12:13pm

Calculate from the immediate past 5 years... or - the immediate past 5 years from when you sent your application in.

Edited by Harmonia - 25 Jul 2011 at 3:32pm
Naseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 1:44pm
I stayed here for almost 700 days
June 7, 2011 - July 25 2011
June 1, 2010 - nov 20 2010
July 7, 2008 - sep 18 2009
July 7, 2006 - sep 9 2006
please cout the days and let me know when my residency obligation is completed.
I am in great need please reply soon and really thanks your concern you are working as an angel right now please guide me on the right path.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic