Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping my residency status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:48pm
I agree that timbit_TO suggestion is the best course of action to take. In the letter they sent, it says that if I do not attend my appointment my application will be abandoned and I have to re-apply and pay the fees again (which I do not mind compared to the lawyer's fees in case I go and I get a removal order and then appeal). The only thing worrying me is that if I don't attend the interview and my case is abandoned, then couple of years down the road I re-apply again, would there be any problem? Definitely they keep track of everything, so when they receive the new application and do their checks, they will find out that I was under the doubt of breaching my residency. This is where I'm lost!!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 1:07am
Just because you abandon the application does not guarantee CIC will not pursue removal proceedings. Depends. Not enough reporting here to really have much insight into this. To some extent you are in that proverbial spot sometimes called between a rock and a hard place, since if you did attend the appointment you could make your H&C arguments . . . a lawyer would still be a good idea to review this with.

If CIC just deems the app abandoned and does not take any further action against you, once you are in compliance the breach is totally cured. Sure, it could be something taken note of down the road, so you might be subject to closer examination when applying for the PR card (once you are in compliance) or if and when you apply for citizenship, but there is no direct impact, just the chance that they will look more closely and perhaps conduct a residency examination that might not have otherwise.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 4:21am
Update:

In doing another person's homework, reading the applicable operational manual for PR card applications, one aspect of the process is clarified: if Sydney discerns there is a residency obligation breach, the application for PR card (renewal) is ordinarily referred to the local office for further processing . . . meaning, mostly, investigation . . . and here's what the operational manual (ENF 27 at page 28) says about procdures attendant a referral to the local office:

Discrepancies in residency obligations
If the PR card applicant does not appear to meet the residency requirement (e.g., following an examination of the passport and travel history, input from the visa office, etc.) and insufficient H&C grounds are identified to overcome this shortfall, the officer writes a report under A44(1). The report goes to a Minister’s delegate, who may issue a removal order under A44(2).

To understand this in context, see ENF 27.

This confirms that a PR who applies for a PR card while in breach of the residency obligation is in effect asking CIC to examine their compliance and to issue a removal order unless there are sufficient H & C grounds to overcome falling short of the obligation.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

EmeraldTaylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmeraldTaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 9:04am
If you have been living in Canada for the last 3 years or 3 out of the last 4, you can apply for citizenship before you leave for your studies.  You have to have an address for your mail and somebody to pick up your mail and you have to be ready to fly back at short notice, 2 weeks or so to do your citizenship test and later oath but if you have citizenship, you can come and go as you like.  However, if you plan to live in Canada in the future, I strongly suggest you study in Canada instead.  Your degree from the Philippines may not be recognized in Canada and you may have a hard time getting a job.
Alan92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 9:09pm
Hello,

I'm in a some what complicated situation that I don't know how to get out of it. I landed in Canada with my family in 2006, was 13 years old. I entered Canada again in 2008, 2009 for about 2 months each summer and since August 2010 I have been living here. My parents renewed our PRs (hired a crooked immigration consultant) in November 2010, and since then trouble did not stop! When we applied I had been in Canada for less than 300 days. The cic received my application, issued the new PR (online it says decision was made) and then sent it to local office. However, I was contacted for an interview. I went to the first one, explained my situation that I was underage when I landed, did not have anybody in my family to take care of me even if my parents left me in Canada, and since I turned 18 I have been living in Canada (I did my research). The agent told me not enough convincing reason and gave me a list of documents to collect and she said will contact me in a week. Well weeks passed, actually 4 months since July. Bottom line, they sent me a letter for another appointment at the end of October, but a couple of days ago I was contacted to reschedule (they have a meeting during my interview), luckily I was able to push it to November 16th. But today I was contacted by another agent that wants me to come in on November 7th. I sense no good out of this!

I was not planning to go to the interview on November 16th and claim that I forgot. On December 15th, it is going to be 180 days since they received my file, so they would have to close it and then I would apply again after I complete my days (I did some online research on this and the consensus was not to go).

However, currently I have no clue what to do. I told the agent I'll get back to him tomorrow as I don't have my calender.  And now, not sure if I stick with the plan and don't go what would be the consequences? would they flag my file and I would face problems when I re-apply? would they force any kind of removal order as I did not show up? any alternatives?

Please help

Much apprecited your input
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 9:20pm
hi

Originally posted by Alan92 Alan92 wrote:

Hello,I'm in a some what complicated situation that I don't know how to get out of it. I landed in Canada with my family in 2006, was 13 years old. I entered Canada again in 2008, 2009 for about 2 months each summer and since August 2010 I have been living here. My parents renewed our PRs (hired a crooked immigration consultant) in November 2010, and since then trouble did not stop! When we applied I had been in Canada for less than 300 days. The cic received my application, issued the new PR (online it says decision was made) and then sent it to local office. However, I was contacted for an interview. I went to the first one, explained my situation that I was underage when I landed, did not have anybody in my family to take care of me even if my parents left me in Canada, and since I turned 18 I have been living in Canada (I did my research). The agent told me not enough convincing reason and gave me a list of documents to collect and she said will contact me in a week. Well weeks passed, actually 4 months since July. Bottom line, they sent me a letter for another appointment at the end of October, but a couple of days ago I was contacted to reschedule (they have a meeting during my interview), luckily I was able to push it to November 16th. But today I was contacted by another agent that wants me to come in on November 7th. I sense no good out of this!I was not planning to go to the interview on November 16th and claim that I forgot. On December 15th, it is going to be 180 days since they received my file, so they would have to close it and then I would apply again after I complete my days (I did some online research on this and the consensus was not to go). However, currently I have no clue what to do. I told the agent I'll get back to him tomorrow as I don't have my calender.  And now, not sure if I stick with the plan and don't go what would be the consequences? would they flag my file and I would face problems when I re-apply? would they force any kind of removal order as I did not show up? any alternatives?Please helpMuch apprecited your input

CIC knows you haven't met your PR residency requirements. Just because 180 days have passed, it is not a "get out of jail free card" . You don't show up, then the report will be written without you being able to present your H.& C. grounds, and you will then go to a hearing.
PMM
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 5:02am
Does not look good.

I suggest seeing a lawyer soon. I suggest asking CIC to delay the interview until you have had an opportunity to obtain counsel -- probably are not entitled to counsel at the interview, I do not know . . . but you are entitled to consult with counsel generally, and hopefully they will give you an opportunity to obtain counsel and reschedule the hearing after you have had a reasonable chance to talk to counsel.

Be polite. Make it clear that there are aspects of this you do not understand and that you want to consult with a lawyer before you do anything more.

And I would get a lawyer ASAP!

In the meantime be putting together all the information you can about how your life is centered in Canada now.

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:12pm

Hi

Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Does not look good.

I suggest seeing a lawyer soon. I suggest asking CIC to delay the interview until you have had an opportunity to obtain counsel -- probably are not entitled to counsel at the interview, I do not know . . . but you are entitled to consult with counsel generally, and hopefully they will give you an opportunity to obtain counsel and reschedule the hearing after you have had a reasonable chance to talk to counsel.

Be polite. Make it clear that there are aspects of this you do not understand and that you want to consult with a lawyer before you do anything more.

And I would get a lawyer ASAP!

In the meantime be putting together all the information you can about how your life is centered in Canada now.

As it is an inland interview, he can attend with a lawyer, but the lawyer can't answer questions for him.
PMM
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Alan92 Alan92 wrote:

I was not planning to go to the interview on November 16th and claim that I forgot.
(I did some online research on this and the consensus was not to go).

I am not sure of what sources you used in your research or who gave you the advise to skip the interview, but in my personal opinion that would have been a big mistake. From what I understand in how the systems works, CIC are already aware of your missing days and if you had skipped your interview, CIC would have had full legal right to make a decision on your file without your presence (either a negative or positive decision). Then you would have been left with no recourse but to go to a hearing or appeal (if the decision made in your absense was negative).

My personal advise is to be as honest with them and try not to force them to red flag your file any further.

Edited by MajidS - 27 Oct 2011 at 6:03pm
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:54pm
Alan92,
I cannot say in what direction this can go, but I agree with the others:
Not going to the interview would be the worst thing you could do!!!

Contacting a lawyer might be a good idea, but it is difficult to find a good one. Dpenabill suggested in another thread to search for rulings in federal court decisions ad look for lawyers that won cases.

On the other side you need to inform yourself read all the manual that touch your situation.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/
You have to make the final decision. Remember the lawyer will not be deported on bad advise;-)

The fact that the PR has been approved and the interview, might indicate, that they are actually willing let you reside in Canada. They might just want to see that your current life is centered in Canada.

Anyway not going to the interview will make things worse. But even if you are getting a "negative" decision, you have the right to appeal the decision.

I would prepare to giv earguments for H&C reason. Like the fact that you were a minor and you parents decided where you should live. Now since your are an adult, you live in Canada. Be polite and even if the decision is not in favour for you stay calm and prepare to appeal the decision.

Maybe CIC just wants to understand your situation and talk to you, see that your language skills are sufficient and your life is centered. See the interview as an opportunity to present your case. They could have declined the application immediately, if they wanted.

And kick this consultant in the ass. How could he ever suggested to apply for a renewal when you are not meeting the RO?!? That is a BIG BIG mistake. If you didn't intend to travel there is no reason to take such a risk!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic