Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping my residency status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping my residency status
    Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:45pm
Hell to All,

I'm in a situation where I have no clue to do and seeking help. I became a PR in 2006, I was 13 years old back then and landed with my parents. However, due to difficulties of finding a job my parents decided to go home till they figure it out and they left my oldest brother (18 back then who was about to start university) and I returned with them. We used to come to Canada every other summer and spend couple of months since 2006, during which I was a student in my home country. Our PRC expire August this year, so may parents found a lawyer (one of those "I know how to foul the gov, I'll get you PR's") and they paid him to do the renewal forms, which he did and submitted. I do not what he filled in, my dad got a deportation order when he came to pick up his renewed card and I was requested for an interview to assess my residency mid July 2011.

Some facts before I ask my question:

- within the past five years, I have accumulated about 450 days, which is less than the minimum 730
 - I resided in Canada for good in August 15 2010 after I finished high school back home and since this date I have been living in Canada studying

I read some government documents, specifically, ENF 23 Loss of PR status, and I came across H&C factors to be considered during the interview. Now, since I was 13 years old when I landed with parents and then left Canada as a child under the care of my parents and when I became mature enough (and finished high school) I returned to Canada (even though I was 17 years old when I returned, FYI I became 18 on Dec 31 2010) on the earliest possible opportunity.

My question is, is there a chance to maintain my residency if I argue that I was a minor when I left and then I came on the first earliest possibility? I realize that according to the new IRPA that does not excuse me from maintaining my residency obligation, but would it be a justifying reason for my absence.

Any thoughts, comments, other possible insights would be really appreciated!!
Alan92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:47pm
Sorry Embarrassed I meant to say "Hello All", I'm really frightened that I may loose my status Cry
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:56pm
You can try and plead your case. Ensure you have a good lawyer if you can afford and are willing to pay. Blame the crooked lawyer as well for wrong advice and misrepresentation.
Looks like the lawyer(is he even a lawyer? you sure its not some "consultant")?
Get a copy of your application/file from the case officers.

Sorry I got no idea about H&C for PR renewals. Good Luck
Edmontonian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmontonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 11:00pm
sorry about your situation. I guess the first thing to find out is what he filled in the forms then you will know exactly what to say.

I am curious... how come your dad got a deportation order and you got an interview? what did your dad do differently??
Alan92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:28am
Thanks for your response!
Edmontonian: The only difference between my dad and me is he came to pickup his card and he was questioned by a boarded agent at the airport, which they consider a Point Of Entry POE, and the agent determined that he breached his residency obligation. In my case, I have been living in Canada for a year and I accumulated about 450 days (while my dad 200) and perhaps they take into consideration that I'm young and still have a chance.  Anyway, I'm afraid that I'm heading the same way, but in a different process since I live here. I'm really hoping that I could argue my case and be persuasive.
Edmontonian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmontonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:34am
OK I see... the best bet would have been if you waited for 730 days before applying but that is now after the fact. I wonder if you can withdraw your application once you have submitted it... that would have been good. You might still have a chance with H and C since you were young but not sure.

You might be able to get additional response.
timbit_TO View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbit_TO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:35am
The fundamental mistake that your parents made (other than not meeting the residency obligation) was applying for a PR card renewal while not in compliance.  There is no obligation on the part of any PR to keep a currently valid PR card;  and the validity of PR status does not depend on whether one holds a PR card.

You should check with a reputable lawyer whether, for example, it is compulsory for you to attend the interview to which you had been invited.  If you are legally allowed to do so, it may be best to simply abandon the application for a new PR card for the time being.
Law (the). Nobody knows what it is.
Gustave Flaubert, Le Dictionnaire des idées reçues
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:36am
Hi

Originally posted by timbit_TO timbit_TO wrote:

The fundamental mistake that your parents made (other than not meeting the residency obligation) was applying for a PR card renewal while not in compliance.  There is no obligation on the part of any PR to keep a currently valid PR card;  and the validity of PR status does not depend on whether one holds a PR card.You should check with a reputable lawyer whether, for example, it is compulsory for you to attend the interview to which you had been invited.  If you are legally allowed to do so, it may be best to simply abandon the application for a new PR card for the time being.

Too late for that, CIC knows he is not in compliance.
PMM
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:57am
Even though CIC "knows" that Alan92 is in breach of the residency obligation, it appears that to date there is no removal proceeding pending. So timbit_TO's suggestion is perhaps, even probably, the best course of action still available to Alan92.

The key is that unless and until a removal order is actually issued, his presence in Canada continues to count toward meeting the PR residency obligation, and more time in Canada helps in the H&C analysis even if he cannot stall long enough to be in full compliance.

Thus, even a delay (call to reschedule) of the July interview might help (but might not depending on who in particular is handling this at CIC and to what extent the process has momentum, to what extent they will push the process forward). Might be worth attempting to postpone/reschedule based on "I think I need a lawyer so I am trying to obtain counsel to assist me before I attend an interview." May or may not work. Even if counsel is not technically allowed for such an interview (I do not know either way), they should allow Alan92 time to consult with counsel before attending the interview. Worth a try.

As in, bottom line: try the suggestion offered by timbit_TO or try to postpone/reschedule, and, I suggest, seek advice from a real Canadian lawyer.

I would note, however, some concern about the deportation order against the father . . . a removal order is a form of deportation, but it does not become immediately enforceable against a PR and the right to appeal can stay the process for a significant amount of time (although that time will not count toward meeting the residency requirement. It sounds, however, as though there was some underlying misrepresentation involved and . . . well, I'd not only be speculating but wildly speculating to elaborate on this further, but, frankly, it sounds as if there may be something more serious than a mere breach of the residency obligation involved here. No way to discern if there is or to what extent if there is it has bearing on Alan92's own status, but this certainly sounds like a situation in which to obtain legal counsel as soon as possible, and borrow or beg if necessary to do so.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:31pm
I had read somewhere in the CIC Ops manuals that there is some leeway/forgiveness for minors who became PR's that make an attempt "at the earliest possible convenience" once they reach the age of 21 to regain entry to Canada.   I am going to have dig around for the wording...  but this is likely an H&C consideration.  
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic