Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mar/Apr/May/June 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 71>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lory_Br View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lory_Br Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mar/Apr/May/June 2011
    Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 5:27pm
Hello. This is my very first post ever. I dont even really know how to ask what I want to know, this whole process has been so draining for me. But, above all, I would like to share my experiences and dates and maybe help someone.

First of all here is my timeline on CIC :

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on June 16, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on June 16, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on November 24, 2011.

Your file was transferred to the Edmonton CIC office on February 1, 2012. The Edmonton CIC office will contact you if additional information is required. The Edmonton CIC office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

We sent you a notice on April 13, 2012 to appear and write the citizenship test on May 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

We sent you a letter on May 8, 2012. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

This timeline, however, is not up to date, but here is some extra info.

This letter I was sent May 8, 2012 was a Residence Questionnaire. I was supposed to send it back within 45 days. One of the documents it requested was my travel history issued by CBSA, and as most of you may know, it could only be requested in written via mail. So I called them to know how long it would take to have it back and they said 55 days. At that time I was struggling with some health/personal problems and I realized I would never be able to send everything within 45 days. I lost total hope when they 45th day came and I figured by the time my application had been closed. I failed by not checking with CIC. I assumed it was closed and that was it. I was already preparing myself to start all over again when a friend suggested I should check with them because she was pretty sure it was still open since I had not received any final notices from them. So I called CIC and the agent said it should still be in progress and that I should send all the documents right away. Since I knew my travel history document would be a while to get to me and I thought they could close my application any minute now, I thought I would send CIC a letter explaining what happened and telling them I was waiting on that document. I sent both the CIC letter and the travel history request December 18, 2012.
January 2, 2013  CIC sent me another copy of the RQ by registered mail. This time it was a final notice. The RQ was very similar with the exception it did not ask me to request the travel history myself, but just to simply sign a consent for CIC to get the info themselves. The letter said I should send everything within 30 days from the date on the letter and if they did not receive it by February 13 , 2013, my application would be declared abandoned.

I sent RQ with supporting documents including travel history February 1st, 2013 and they should have received it yesterday, February 5th, 2013.

I guess what I would like to know is how long it would be until I hear from them. I have been reading posts on several  threads and I guess it could take 17 months or so. Is that correct ?

Another piece of information I would like to add is the possible cause or causes for my RQ.
When I received the letter informing me about the citizenship test, I was given a list of documents. I took all of the documents with the exception of my expired passport which I had not been able to find and I thought it had not been given back to me when I applied for the new one. 
When I was speaking to the officer and he asked me for the passport, he asked me if I had the passport in my possession and I said "no", then he asked me if i had to hand it in when I requested my new passport and I said "yes". I tried to keep my answers to a minimum and I guess it did not help at all. So, I did not tell him I think they kept my passport, but that is kind of what I made it sound like.
A friend of mine whose process went really quick, she took a whole lot more documents than those they had asked for on the letter. She took everything you could possibly imagine including rental leases and all which means she was ready to prove everything she was claiming. As for me, I literally took only the documents listed and when the officer was asking me questions I felt like he expected more documents than the ones I brought. If that is really the case, then why dont they tell us to bring everything we have instead of giving me a very limited list of documents?? 

I ended up finding the passport I thought I did not have anymore and I explained so on the letter I sent them December 18th, 2012

Anyways, I frustrated because I wish I had handled this whole thing a whole lot better than this. I feel like I was not well informed and well prepared at all and made stupid mistakes.

What are the odds I may need to see a judge? Does being married to  a Canadian, owning a house and being pregnant make a difference?
Anyways, thanks guys and good luck to us all.
Kajoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kajoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 6:05pm

I haven't read the details of this particular case but what drew my attention was the fact that after submitting the RQ the file was finalized in a couple of months. Anyways, it's good to know that a major progress has been made. The happiness will be completed when the oath letter is sent!

akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Kajoo Kajoo wrote:

Originally posted by akella akella wrote:

Originally posted by Mbarbosa Mbarbosa wrote:

That's great news KFQ! What is your local office? I had my pre-test RQ issued end of May, received early June and submitted early July! That gives me hope!!

Just to manage expectations: kfq's wife's application was started in 2009 as per his post earlier :
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on September 24, 2009.

Despite the fact that KFQ's wife citizenship application was sent in 2009, the fact that the pre-test RQ was processed and finalized within a period of a couple of months is a very good and promising news. Don't you think so?

Well, if you accept that 3 years is good news... but she was in a different situation, nevertheless, - no time to re-check, but I believe her file was already in Program Support Unit, i.e. taken away from local office.
Kajoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kajoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by akella akella wrote:

That's great news KFQ! What is your local office? I had my pre-test RQ issued end of May, received early June and submitted early July! That gives me hope!!

Just to manage expectations: kfq's wife's application was started in 2009 as per his post earlier :
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on September 24, 2009.

Despite the fact that KFQ's wife citizenship application was sent in 2009, the fact that the pre-test RQ was processed and finalized within a period of a couple of months is a very good and promising news. Don't you think so?
quixot55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quixot55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 2:03pm
Brief version: can one transfer to a different city, or even apply again.
-----
It is a good sign that the forum does not show any recent activity. I am glad for all of you.

But my case, and I suspect a lot of other people in Edmonton, is not good. Here's a summary:

I got RQ'd and sent the RQ back about 5 months ago. I've also done the test.

What makes me worried is I was told by the Edmonton office that they don't have a judge and it might be two years before they would even look at the documents I sent them in response to the RQ. I thought that was really a worst case scenario, but now after some months have passed and no news I am getting worried.

Any thoughts? My job is such that I can easily claim an address in Ontario, and either apply there or ask for a transfer.

Thank you very much.
received: Jun 2, 2011
process: Nov 5, 2011
transfer (Edmonton): Dec 16, 2011
Note for test: Apr 13, 2012
Test: May 15, 2012 (could not make it, deferred)
Mbarbosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mbarbosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 3:09pm
:(
Seemed too good to be true...I'm glad his case is having progress at last!
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 3:06pm

kfq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 2:51pm
Local office is St. claire

Mbarbosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mbarbosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 2:48pm
kfq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 2:46pm
Pre test RQ received May 2012, submitted June 2012.
Letter for test received 28 Sept. 2012
Test 16 oct. 2012...................
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 71>
  Share Topic