Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Applicants from China -- Requirement for Pinyin???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applicants from China -- Requirement for Pinyin???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applicants from China -- Requirement for Pinyin???
    Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 10:36pm
I am sponsoring my wife from China (outland) and we're in the midst of completing the forms.  I note that in several places, the guides and forms say: "If you live in China, make sure you also give your mailing address in Pinyin. "

Is this a mistake?  Do they mean simplified Chinese?  

Pinyin is a system of writing Chinese words phonetically with the same alphabet we use to write English (and many European languages).  It is used to help non-Chinese learn to pronounce the language.  It is not widely used in China by Chinese.  My wife is an interpreter, and although she knows some Pinyin, she isn't good at it.  The only way she could meet this requirement was with my help, since I am using Pinyin to learn the language, and know it better than she does. 

What have others done?  Did you actually use the real Pinyin, or did you think this meant written Chinese?

Thanks,

B47 
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 10:53pm
I don't claim to know anything about Chinese - let's get that out of the way up front
With that being said, are Pinyin & Simplified Chinese similar?
I think, if they say they want Pinyin, that's what they want
I highly doubt they made a mistake in the forms and the guides

Originally posted by boundary47 boundary47 wrote:

I am sponsoring my wife from China (outland) and we're in the midst of completing the forms.  I note that in several places, the guides and forms say: "If you live in China, make sure you also give your mailing address in Pinyin. "

Is this a mistake?  Do they mean simplified Chinese?  

Pinyin is a system of writing Chinese words phonetically with the same alphabet we use to write English (and many European languages).  It is used to help non-Chinese learn to pronounce the language.  It is not widely used in China by Chinese.  My wife is an interpreter, and although she knows some Pinyin, she isn't good at it.  The only way she could meet this requirement was with my help, since I am using Pinyin to learn the language, and know it better than she does. 

What have others done?  Did you actually use the real Pinyin, or did you think this meant written Chinese?

Thanks,

B47 
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 4:40am
Yes, Pinyin and Chinese are completely different.  Chinese uses the "characters" we all recognize as written Chinese, while Pinyin uses the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet with a convention for sounding out the Chinese words.  Since the pronunciations of many words in spoken Chinese are identical for several different written Chinese words (and with vastly different meanings), Pinyin is quite primitive in comparison.  And, of course, it's not all that common.  

Strangely, the guides sometimes say to use English and written Chinese, sometimes English and Pinyin but omit mention of written Chinese; and sometimes Chinese and either Pinyin or English. There's no apparent logic to it.  It's just plain weird. The various forms were amended at different times. Perhaps the policy has been changed because of the relative uselessness of Pinyin, but the change has only been reflected in the forms that have been revised most recently.

It's sometimes said that consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. I guess that means me. I can't help second guessing these requirements when inconsistencies appear -- I keep thinking there must be a reason . . . 

B47 
gggomez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gggomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 6:33am
My guess is because they are specifically referring to the mailing address, they want to make sure that there isn't a mix up regarding the postal. It may just be that the canadian government deal only in alphabet when communicating with any country. Who really knows! I sure don't! that is why I am guessing! 
Mr_with_his_Mrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_with_his_Mrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 12:15pm

As I recall, we included both the chinese characters AND the pinyin phonetics with the addresses. 

Formerly Mr_without_his_Mrs
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 3:39pm
Something dawned on me last night - in response to gggomez's post
They probably want pinyin on the mailing address so that CIC has an "english" address to send correspondence to - my guess is that CIC doesn't type in Chinese, just English & French
That makes total sense to me anyway Smile
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
Liuzhou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liuzhou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 1:19pm

Isn't that why they ask for mailing labels, that should have the Chinese and English(PinYin) address ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 6:29pm
The region guide for China asks for address labels in Chinese characters.  It does not ask for English or Pinyin.

B47
annieann13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annieann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 11:47pm
Hi,

How about the PR applicant are from other countries and they speak/write their own languages, do they have to write their own languages on the forms when asked as well?

Thank you & Regards,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 11:27am
Check the region guides.  The requirements differ from place to place. For example, PR applicants from some countries are required to get a lot of their government documents notarized.  But the region guide for China lists only one form that requires notarization.  

Whatever you do, make sure you are completely aware of the requirements in the region guide and make sure your application follows it to the letter.  When there is a difference between the region guide and general requirements, the region guide takes precedence.

B47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic