Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to submit a privacy request for Citznship recs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to submit a privacy request for Citznship recs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrmaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to submit a privacy request for Citznship recs
    Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 3:11am
There is no cost for this application.

First download this form:  

Leave Requestor Reference number and ATIP File number blank.
Fill Surname, Firstname and Date of Birth
Under Privacy Act, select "as is" and "receive copies of records" and your language

Select "In Canada File (FOSS included)", enter your client id (it is the 8 digit number on your PR card), write "all locations" under location

Select "GCMS" and "Citizenship/Naturalization records",  if you know your citizenship file number, then you can enter it, otherwise leave it blank or put in your client id,  put "all locations" for location

select "This request is made by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident"

Fill in your name, address, phone number, signature and date.

You can fax this to:   613-957-6517

or mail to:

Public Rights Administration
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th floor
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1
tel: 613-946-0953
fax: 613-957-6517

or mail to your local CIC Office's privacy officer

They have 30 days by law to get the information back to you.   Just the IMM5563B is required and no other supporting documents.  If you want to, you can send a copy of your PR card, but it is not necessary.

Edited by rrmaron - 01 Jun 2011 at 2:23pm
rrmaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrmaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 5:13am
bump
GodBlessCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodBlessCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 12:50pm
RRmaron, thank you! Can we order the records after the process is complete and we have become citizens?
rrmaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrmaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 3:59pm
absolutely -  you can order these at any time whatsoever - they are your records and you have the right to see them anytime ...   Freedom of Information is there to make sure that the government does not have secret files on you and is what makes Canada such a great country and not a police state (which the US is fast becoming - have you crossed the border lately?)
GodBlessCanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodBlessCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 4:03pm
No I haven't in a long time, but I am curious to know your thoughts about that.
fiaboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 12:41pm
Thanks for sharing this information with us. I am wondering by ordering this type of file would delay the application by any chance??
eli View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 12:21am
when you order these records, is it recorded  somewhere that you have ordered these info? This might be a bad idea since the CIC officer responsible for your in-process application may speculate why you want to see these info and may put you under further scrutiny. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 3:59am

Quote when you order these records, is it recorded somewhere that you have ordered these info? This might be a bad idea since the CIC officer responsible for your in-process application may speculate why you want to see these info and may put you under further scrutiny

I do not think so. Not at all. That's not the style in which Canadian bureaucrats approach things.

I am about to do this myself, apply for those records, to examine them before I even submit my citizenship application. I probably approach these things more carefully than most people. (I already have around 1200 days of credit for actual presence, but it will be another two months at least, and lately I am leaning toward waiting another three months, before applying). I have no qualms whatsoever about obtaining these records. I do have qualms about other aspects of my application (the reason for the wait).

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic