Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel Records in and out of Canada and USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrmaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel Records in and out of Canada and USA
    Posted: 27 May 2011 at 2:58pm
In BOTH Canada and USA, the border agencies will generally only have ENTRY records, but no EXIT records.

If you leave from Canada to the USA, the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) does not have any record of that EXIT.   However, the US CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) will generally have the record of ENTRY into the US.

When returning from the US to CANADA, the US CBP will not generally have a record of your EXIT from USA (except if you were on an I-94 and gave back that I-94 at some point),  but there would be a record with CBSA (Canadian side) for your Canadian ENTRY if your passport or PR card was swiped by a CBSA officer.

To try and get an accurate picture of your movements between Canada and the USA, it then means that you would have to request records from BOTH the CBSA (Canadian) and CBP (USA).

Here are 2 links to get your travel records from the US side for entries to the US (CBP - customs and border patrol) - it is very important that before your signature, the words "Signed under penalty of perjury" are written (thanks to Sivan for pointing that out):

If you have requested any of these records, please could you post what you sent and how long it took to receive the reply.   I have done several CBSA travel record requests and I have always received them within 30 days, usually around 18-20 days.   Some people have reported that the US CBP records have taken around 1-2 months, however mine took about 7 months (possibly because it was a little more complex?).

Edited by rrmaron - 28 May 2011 at 2:45pm
sivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by rrmaron rrmaron wrote:

Here are 2 links to get your travel records from the US side (CBP - customs and border patrol):

Hi rrmaron,

Thanks for posting this as a separate thread as this is being requested by members more frequently these days. I believe the post above you have mentioned (sample CBP letter posted by "pzb" will need an update") to include "perjury" statement as mentioned in the post by "bigbh" on 12 May 2011 at 10:27am in "RQ discussion" thread.
Link: http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19&PN=222&title=rq-discussions

I had a personal experience recently in this regard. The letter I had sent to CBP without perjury statement was returned as not acceptable. Here with attaching parts of my email conversation with US CBP - Privacy Coordinator:
====
We are severely behind due to many issues, staffing, overall amount of requests, lack of automation, etc.  However, you can expect a 90-120 day waiting period for your request to be processed.  If it was received perfected?  A perfected request is provided either on a letter with your full name and date of birth, your signature, “signed under the penalty of perjury,” or by using the attached G639.  If you use(d) the form you need to be sure to sign sections 3, 7 and 8 (under the penalty of perjury); or either your letter or your form will need to be notarized, if not signed “under the penalty of perjury.”

I hope I haven’t confused you.  If you should require expedited processing for some extenuating circumstance, a pending Immigration court date, or a medical issue or problem, we can entertain trying to expedite your request.  The problem is receive about 400 letters per week, and everyone wants expedited processing.

---FOIA Division, Branch Chief

======

sivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:14pm
Hi,

I received US CBP records (TECS and ATS entries) in response to my privacy request. It took close to 2 months to get the response (mine is not a expedited request). Some of this delay may be from my side as my initial request was not a "perfected request" - ie.. I did not include "perjury" statement which I had to submit again and hence some delay in processing the request.  Even though, they claim backlog of up to 4 months, process seems to be not that bad!
---

I have few queries with regard to the TECS (entry in to US records). Could anyone in receipt of their CBP records, please respond to my queries below:

1. One of my road crossing via foot (as a pedestrian) in to US is not appearing in the TECS report. [My Canadian friend dropped me on the Canadian side of the border and my relative picked me on the US side of the border after I crossed as a pedestrian. If you are wondering why I did this, as it was faster and easier for my Canadian friend/US relative from border crossing/waiting hassles!]

Has anyone had this experience on some of their trips missing in their CBP response?

This trip is critical for me as this will prove my first absence - start date after landing as PR. Before I write to CBP, I was wondering if any of the members had experience in this regard - follow-up request for missing records/complaints?

2. I recently traveled to Seattle from Vancouver via Amtrak Train service. Both my entry in to US and exit from US dates are listed in the TECS record.  I am not sure why my exit date from US (ie.. return to Canada date ) is also listed. Does anyone know why this is the case?

Thanks very much.

Thanks
Sivan
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:51pm
I am not among those who have obtained such records.

But, regarding query 1:
I have oft times here emphasized that none of these records are for certain complete records (and that is part of why CIC does not routinely obtain them and rely upon them; and there are no plans to do so at any time soon). There are a number of variables, but the biggest one is whether or not one's travel document was actually scanned at the POE. Oft times in the past it was not. I am not sure what it is like at most POEs now, but in the last two years or so I have noticed that U.S. POE officers are scanning mine every time (before that they were not), and in the last year they have been doing so at the Canadian side upon my return. This is consistent with the trend of more thorough checks and record keeping in border crossings, but it is still not necessarily a complete record and, again, there is no plan for CIC to turn to these records as primary evidence of international travel by an applicant for citizenship.

In other words, I am surprised by those reports here that such records did contain a record of every crossing. That, particularly in the past, is more unusual I think than there being some omissions.

As for 2:
I am not sure, but this information may have been populated from the Amtrak passenger manifest. Taking commercial rail across the border is very similar to flying internationally, and the carriers are obligated to provide passenger lists to the respective border control authorities.

Additionally, on occasion (rarely of late for private modes of transportation -- in the year following 9-11 it was fairly common; I do not take commercial transportation often enough these days to recognize patterns), exits from the U.S. are monitored, but if that was the case you should recall having to present your travel documents not just to Canadian POE officials but prior to that.

Another alternative, and I do not know if this applies to commercial rail or not, but for some commercial air travel between the U.S. and Canada, the "border control" occurs at the point of departure not destination, and I suspect that in such situations both the exit and entry are recorded in the respective country's databases. This might be how Amtrak travel is done, I am not sure (you should have some recollection of when you presented your travel documents in the course of the trip).

In any event, it is not an anomaly, nothing to worry about, just one more item of information.

Finally, and overall:

It should be remembered that such records are NOT definitive but only evidentiary, meaning they indicate a cross border trip but are not conclusive, and they are particularly not conclusive about where the individual was the day before or the day after. In other words, such records provide information which can and when presented will be compared to all the other information in an applicant's case, and is subject to such reasonable inferences as the examining officer might make. I have oft times emphasized that how all the individual parts fit together makes a huge difference. If the pieces do not fit together into a coherent picture, that is going to draw attention and scrutiny and, if significant discrepancies appear, doubts. When all the pieces fit, when the records corroborate the applicant's disclosures, a bureaucrat will be happy -- that is actually a lot less work for the bureaucrat.   
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 7:47pm
Thanks very much dpenabill.

Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

As for 2:
I am not sure, but this information may have been populated from the Amtrak passenger manifest. Taking commercial rail across the border is very similar to flying internationally, and the carriers are obligated to provide passenger lists to the respective border control authorities.

In any event, it is not an anomaly, nothing to worry about, just one more item of information.

Sivan: As you have indicated, may be there is a process for Amtrak to share passenger manifest. Not sure though.
When I boarded the train in Seattle, there was no Custom/Border check. Passport/PR card was manually checked by the Train Conductor (no scanning) -- just verification of identity/travel documents. CBSA check happens at Vancouver when we exit from the train.

Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Finally, and overall:

It should be remembered that such records are NOT definitive but only evidentiary, meaning they indicate a cross border trip but are not conclusive, and they are particularly not conclusive about where the individual was the day before or the day after. In other words, such records provide information which can and when presented will be compared to all the other information in an applicant's case, and is subject to such reasonable inferences as the examining officer might make. I have oft times emphasized that how all the individual parts fit together makes a huge difference. If the pieces do not fit together into a coherent picture, that is going to draw attention and scrutiny and, if significant discrepancies appear, doubts. When all the pieces fit, when the records corroborate the applicant's disclosures, a bureaucrat will be happy -- that is actually a lot less work for the bureaucrat.   

Sivan: I have nothing against the CIC process evaluating applicant's application in totality. Having said that, the timing/sequencing of the process could be better.

When an application is submitted, we are expected to provide "work/education history, residential address history, residency calculation/absences" in the last 4 years. I reckon these 3 are the key items that are available for CO while assessing the application ( + background check?) to arrive at "how all the individual parts fit together".   [May be I am missing something. I am not sure what other information CO has  'to assess' the application for residency evaluation.]

This process on an average takes close to 12 months and then when the applicant is called for test,  the applicant is given only few minutes to explain the absences --- with reference to the stampings in the passport.

[Note: Most of the road trips in to Canada are not stamped in the Passport (or) sometimes not even scanned (there by no record even with CBSA Privacy request).  I am not sure how the applicant can convince the CO if there are questions during the test interview in relation to a declared absence.]

So, if the CO has a doubt about the residency requirement during the test, the dreaded RQ (Lite or Full) is issued forcing the applicant's processing time to extend anywhere from --- few months to years based on region/city, Lite or Full RQ etc.

I reckon, if CIC's way of validating the declared absences are only by looking at the Passport stamp, they could very well ask the applicant to provide passport stamp photocopies during initial submission. This will allow the CO (probably at the local office) to look at the application details along with the passport stampings for residency evaluation much before the test day. If the CO is not completely satisfied and wants additional proof, they could ask the applicant to provide those details even before the applicant is called for test.

This is just my take on the process. There could be multiple procedural reasons, availability of staff, SLAs for CIC for not using this approach.  As you have mentioned in other posts, ( no. of RQ cases are very very small compared to the total number of applications processed), I agree that CIC's process may be tailored to support majority of the applicants and not towards the minority RQ applicants.  However, there should be some possibility for CIC to improvise their process towards this minority RQ applicants :---  CIC would very well know in the earlier phase of the application scrutiny whether the application needs to be classified as a RQ case or not. At least for these cases, they could ask for additional documentation to prove residence much earlier in the process rather than close the test day/post test stage to reduce the cycle time.

As Passport stamps (lack of thereof) combined with CBSA/CBP records (with inconsistent scanning ritual at POEs) are not going to show a complete picture to prove every declared absence, In my personal opinion, only way one could prove  presence/residence in Canada - day before absence start date and day after absence end date, is to be judicious to make Credit card transactions and keep receipts, have medical appointments or other life events on these pre/post absence day(s) that can be proved with documentary evidence. If I would known the complexities of residency proof earlier in my PR life (I agree the onus is on the applicant), I would have avoided most of the US trips and would have planned to have one transaction/life event per day totaling 1095 days.

Enough of my ranting I guess! Are there any goodies/funding in yesterday's budget that will help CIC to have more staff/Citizenship Judges to reduce the overall processing time!

PS: Not sure if I have diluted the essence of "rrmaron" intentions with this thread being a ready reckoner for members to get CBP/CBSA records. If rrmaron and members feel that way, we could move today's posts/responses in this thread to "RQ discussion" thread.

Thanks
Sivan
rrmaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrmaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 3:48am
bump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic