Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accompanying Spouse on Work Permit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accompanying Spouse on Work Permit
    Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:31am
Good morning everyone,

I have very simple question in regards to accompanying spouse.

My husband is about to apply for work permit. I am a Canadian Citizen. We are both moving to Canada. When he fills out the work permit application should he put me as accompanying spouse? As I am not applying for a visa I am not sure how this should be filled out.

Please let me know.

Thank you,
 Minj
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:01pm
Hi

Originally posted by minj minj wrote:

Good morning everyone, I have very simple question in regards to accompanying spouse. My
husband is about to apply for work permit. I am a Canadian Citizen. We
are both moving to Canada. When he fills out the work permit application
should he put me as accompanying spouse? As I am not applying for a
visa I am not sure how this should be filled out. Please let me know. Thank you,  Minj

Nope, not required as you are a citizen.
PMM
Andy123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:35pm
This question is a bit of a follow-on to the above. This is a bit simplistic, but I haven't seen anything to address my concerns. It's actually happened to a friend of mine (he's moved away and I can't find him) and me too, but I have never see the situation addressed.

Situation: I am getting married to a Canadian citizen and intend to live there (we're common-law; I was a student there for 6 years). After getting married, I intend to apply for PR (she's applying now to sponsor me). I'd like to work locally until the PR is approved/rejected. I have a SIN, but what form/process do I use? Do I ask for temp residency? Do I apply for a work permit? What do I do? This seems really basic, but I haven't seen this addressed on the immigration web site or on these forum pages.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 11:44pm
Hi

Originally posted by Andy123 Andy123 wrote:

This question is a bit of a follow-on to the above. This is a bit simplistic, but I haven't seen anything to address my concerns. It's actually happened to a friend of mine (he's moved away and I can't find him) and me too, but I have never see the situation addressed.
Situation: I am getting married to a Canadian citizen and intend to live there (we're common-law; I was a student there for 6 years). After getting married, I intend to apply for PR (she's applying now to sponsor me). I'd like to work locally until the PR is approved/rejected. I have a SIN, but what form/process do I use? Do I ask for temp residency? Do I apply for a work permit? What do I do? This seems really basic, but I haven't seen this addressed on the immigration web site or on these forum pages.

1. If you apply as an "out of Canada" spousal, (you can still reside in Canada as a visitor) you can work until you receive your PR.
2. If you apply as "in Canada" you include a request for an open work permit with the sponsorship and application. If you receive first level approval you would be issued an Open Work Permit. First level approval is taking 9-10 months.
3. Other than that, you would have to find an employer, who after advertising the position on the job bank for 2 weeks, is willing to apply for a Labour Market Opinion that there are no Canadians/PRs available for the work. Then you would have to apply for a work permit either at a Port of Entry or an Overseas office.
PMM
Andy123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 12:27am
Thanks.

"[Y]ou can work until you receive your PR." How? Are you assuming that I already have a OWP, or are you saying that I can work in Canada without a OWP (perhaps with a Temp PM visa) while awaiting the PR (I have a SIN, but do not currently possess a OWP). 

I think that you meant that if I had a OWP, I could continue to work while awaiting the PR process. Is that right?

I'll probably apply Out of Canada since I have to travel to Australasia during the process time, and I think I'm not allowed to do that if applying in Canada. I also heard that there might be some review/appeal options if submitting in Buffalo that I can't get in Canada.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 1:30am
Hi

<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">Thanks.</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "></span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">"[Y]ou can work until you receive your PR." How? Are you assuming that I already have a OWP, or are you saying that I can work in Canada without a OWP (perhaps with a Temp PM visa) while awaiting the PR (I have a SIN, but do not currently possess a OWP). </span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "></span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;">I think that you meant that if I had a OWP, I could continue to work while awaiting the PR process. Is that right?</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;"></span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;">I'll probably apply Out of Canada since I have to travel to Australasia during the process time, and I think I'm not allowed to do that if applying in Canada. I also heard that there might be some review/appeal options if submitting in Buffalo that I can't get in Canada.</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;"></span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;">Anyway, thanks for your help.</span>

It should be can't work .
PMM
Andy123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 1:41am
OK, thanks.

I wonder what's the average processing time for the PR equivalent visa is for spouses in Germany, the U.S., England, etc. The wait time is so long. I think that it's insane to sit on my backside for a year waiting to be allowed to work. I'll have to live somewhere else. Maybe I could sue the Canadian govt. violating my conjugal rights...

Haha. Good luck with that.

Thanks.
Andy123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 8:31am
Hey there,

I have another quick one. I (right now) have a OWP that expires in 2 weeks. Then I have 2 months of dead time, and then get married. Can I twist the OWP to another work permit? It's a post-graduate visa, and before I came to Australasia, I got a certificate of common-law marriage with the woman I am going to marry in Canada. So I have that. Can I apply to extend my OWP using my common law marriage and then later (in 2 months), apply for a PR visa???I hate to bother everyone, but it only takes 3 months to get a work permit, but a year to get a PR visa if I apply out-of-Canada (the best case scenario)...
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:42am
If you have an employer, ask you employer to apply for LMO in your favour then apply for a WP, but the process will definitely take more than two weeks.

Hey there,
I have another quick one. I (right now) have a OWP that expires in 2 weeks. Then I have 2 months of dead time, and then get married. Can I twist the OWP to another work permit? It's a post-graduate visa, and before I came to Australasia, I got a certificate of common-law marriage with the woman I am going to marry in Canada. So I have that. Can I apply to extend my OWP using my common law marriage and then later (in 2 months), apply for a PR visa???I hate to bother everyone, but it only takes 3 months to get a work permit, but a year to get a PR visa if I apply out-of-Canada (the best case scenario)...
"I shall pass this way but once. Therefore, any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic