Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Study permit: did not get my admission letter back
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Study permit: did not get my admission letter back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neit003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study permit: did not get my admission letter back
    Posted: 14 May 2011 at 7:20pm
Hi all, 

Recently, I have applied a for a study permit. 

Yesterday I received from Canadian Consulate my passport with a temporal visa  and a strange paper. 
This paper says "Please show this letter to the Canada Border Services Officer upon arrival in Canada. ... He will issue your permit". 
So, is it a study permit? Or I can get it only in the border with this paper?

And a second question. I also got a paper called "Important advice to read carefully before leaving".  It says that immigration officer suppose to issue me a Study Permit, and that I should show him the following documents: 
 - my passport
 - attached letter of authorization (I guess that is the first paper I mentioned)
 - the letter of admission.  ------------- > Here I have a problem !! Canadian embassy took my original letter of admission when I applied for a study permit.  And they did not return my admission letter to me! 

thanks for your replies!

Riddymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riddymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:00pm
Yes that is your letter of authorization.  You need to present that, the letter of admission and passport to the immigration officer when you arrive at the border.  They will then direct you to the appropriate area to get your study permit.  Congrats though..I'm waiting for my letter as well.  Soon I hope.
Riddymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riddymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:01pm
oh yes and your temporary visa (that is probably already stamped in your passport..not too sure as I'm from a visa exempt country)
neit003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neit003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:04pm
Raddymon, thanks for your reply. 

Well, I am still concerned about the fact that I also should show my admission letter (from the uni) at the border. But I do not have it! Embassy took the original and did not return it to me... 
Riddymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riddymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:27pm
OOH..totally forgot to address that :).  I'd say the best thing to do would be to get the university to send a copy of the admission letter.  Fastest way would be a PDF attachment.  Print it off and you're golden.  Your situation is the exact reason they ask you to send copies of those documents as they keep all supporting documentation except for your passport.
neit003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neit003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:57pm
well, I have a copy, but I do not have an original... I just wonder if the copy of admission letter will be fine. 

In the embassy, they did ask for an original as well. 
Philips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 3:23am
Please i really need the exact advice on this particular case because same thing happened to me. I got my visa but the embassy didn't return my original admission letter. Please my boss, what's your advice on that?
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 1:27pm
Just tell them the visa office kept it, and show the copy.
Philips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 4:51pm
Thanks for your reply Canvis2006. Although i have other admission letter from the same school bearing the same year of admission but not the same month. I do hope there won't be a problem at the port.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic