Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timeline - Calgary Office

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 237>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lukas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 7:30pm
Ram 102, I don't think it was the best idea to stop doing the test, specially when they have a backlog so big that they can not handle it, and just leave people waiting longer and longer,  and about the the oil boom that you are talking about, that was a thing of the past, people still loosing their jobs, salaries are lower, and the cost of living still very, very expensive, and Calgarians are not getting the service they deserve for paying higher taxes, an example of this, the Calgary immigration office. Confused

Edited by Lukas - 17 Mar 2010 at 1:16am
ahmadkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmadkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 12:49pm

wuzup calgarians? any test dates for december2008 or jan2009 yet?

regards
ram102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ram102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 3:32pm
Any new citizenship ceremonies coming up? Has anybody received their invitation?

Alamo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by ram102 ram102 wrote:

Any new citizenship ceremonies coming up? Has anybody received their invitation?

See how slow our local office is ? we count on you to bring back some fresh and reliable news on what is going on in Calgary's CIC next marsh 29th Big smile
Lukas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lukas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 3:53pm
What about test dates????
ftjin2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftjin2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 11:52pm
Here is my timeline:
Applied September 2008
Test:December 2009
Oath:March 2010

Finally, its all over.  I will be mailing my passport application soon. I guess patience is the key.
ftjin2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftjin2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 11:55pm
I received invitation for oath ceremony that was held on March 4, 2010.  There were approximately 50 people who received their citizenships.  I wrote my test in Dec 2009.

ram102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ram102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 11:54am
Has anybody from February's tests received their invitation yet?
Alamo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:13pm

Hey ram102,

I guess I can say congratulations for your new Canadian status. You should be happy and relieved. I wish you the best.
So can you share your experience and did you get any chance to chat with anyone of the officials to get news about the long timeline they are providing to the residents of Calgary ?

Thanks in advance
ram102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ram102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:48pm
Hey Alamo,

Yes, it is a done deal now. Well here is my experience:

First you get into a line to do a check-in, they ask for your PR card, the invitation with the second page signed. They keep the PR card and then you go to the next table in which you formally sign on a document that they keep for their records.

At this point I asked the clerk why is that the waiting time is longer in Calgary than in any other city, she said that there are some other cities in which the waiting times are similar, but she didn't want to get into the details of why is it that the waiting times are such in Calgary. Given the circumsptances and the formal setting of the ceremony I decided to play it safe and avoided pushing any further for a more concrete answer :)

Then you pass to the room where you just sit and wait until the last applicant has finished the check-in part described above.

Then the clerk (who happened to be the same person who administered the citizenship test) gives a brief explanation of how the ceremony is going to be conducted. At the clerk's queue everybody rises, the judge enters the room and the ceremony begins.

The judge gave a brief but very good and heart-felt speech and then they present the applicants with the certificates and their citizenship cards: They call all applicants, one by one (they call entire families together), to go to the front and receive the certificate and card from the judge.

The clerk advised that because "of the flu season" the judge wouldn't be shaking hands with the applicants at this time, I though this was kind of rude but ... you know ... I guess I was too grateful of being there to be concerned about that.

At the end the judge is available for a photo session with those who want a picture with the judge with the Canadian provinces' flags in the background.

The citizenship card is a very simple card basically made out of paper, the card has been laminated by cic. I am no expert, but to me it looked like it has no security features at all. I imagine that this is because at this point, once they have granted you the citizenship they have more than enough biometrical information about you that they wouldn't have a problem identifying you, so the card is barely to display you citizenship certificate number.

I noticed that the date on the citizenship card is the date in which your file "was transferred to the Calgary office". So it looked to me like they have already made the desicion in vergreville (because the printed the card already).

Then after the ceremony was finished, I came back to the office and typed my certificate number in my passport application (the passport application won't print until is fully completed) then I ran back to the harry-hays building and submitted my application, and finally,  I will have my passport tomorrow morning!

Originally posted by Alamo Alamo wrote:

Hey ram102,

I guess I can say congratulations for your new Canadian status. You should be happy and relieved. I wish you the best.
So can you share your experience and did you get any chance to chat with anyone of the officials to get news about the long timeline they are providing to the residents of Calgary ?

Thanks in advance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 237>
  Share Topic