Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applying for a work permit for new employer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying for a work permit for new employer
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:33am

Good day, I am presently working at a company here in High River, Alberta.  My work permit has expired on February 24, 2011 but prior to its expiration, my employer was able to apply for the extension of work permit.  To date, I am still waiting for the release of my extension of work permit which might take up to July 2011 owing to the 139 days processing time.

The problem is I have received a job offer from a new company last April 2011 and I have accepted it.  The new company already secured an unnamed LMO and applied for my name as Temporary Foreign Worker which will take only about five business days.  Now, after that, I have to apply for a work permit. 

Q1: Will the CIC process my request for work permit for new employer in spite of the fact that I have a pending request for extension of work permit with my present employer?

Q2: Would it be okay if I apply for Restoration of Status (considering my extension for a work permit is still pending and that I can consider to have lost my status for less than 90 days) and apply then for a work permit with new employer? 

Q2: Will the request for restoration of status and application of work permit for new employer automatically cancel my pending request for extension of work permit with present employer? 

Please advice.  Thank you!!
rnbdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnbdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:38pm
Hello cherry, I am from High River Alberta too! I applied on line work permit for a new employer..

Anyway I just want to ask anybody here if it's ok to submit an unnamed LMO, or should I provide a new LMO with my name on it.
I already sumbmitted it.. I wonder if its alright..
Now I am freaking nervous that my wp might be refused.. 
cherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:57am
Hi! Your employer has six (6) months to file for details of Temporary Foreign Worker on the unnamed LMO if the employer has found the TFW for the position.  If he intends to hire you, he should have submitted your personal details to Service Canada, and the LMO with your name will be issued in 5 business days. 

I don't want to cause you worries on your application, but i think CPC-Vegreville in Alberta might delay the approval of your application for new work permit because of unnamed LMO.  I mean, anybody who could have accessed or got themselves a copy of the unnamed LMO could file work permit which i think CPC-Vegreville would not allow.  While the name of the TFW does no longer appear in the positive LMO because of the Privacy Act, they have records on file to access it based on the LMO file number.

Worse thing is when CPC -Vegreville refused your application because of that ground alone (unnamed LMO). But I hope the visa officer  will be kind enough to just write you and require your submission of the named LMO.  Or if you have a copy of the LMO, then you could at least send a copy of it to CPC - Vegreville to supplement your application. Let's keep our fingers crossed... My prayers are with you.

Good luck and keep dry.....relax....God bless!!

rnbdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnbdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 11:40am
I talked to my employer and she says don't worry cause she already submitted my name on Service Canada last month, (and I applied on line last month too), wouldn't the visa officer don't bother to check if the LMO is real from Service Canada? because if he check it he may find that my name is registered already.
and besides I submitted also the scan copy of my new contract with my sign and sign of employer. do you think they will going to refused mine..
rnbdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnbdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:12pm
I've read some article that says visa officer should check the genuineness of the job offer and LMO.
and do you applied on paper because the website says the timeline is 56 days online and 73 days on paper (new employer)

56 days online and 131 days on paper (same employer)

my new employer advised me to apply trough on line..

I hope our work permit will granted soon, Smile, keep in touch!

cherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 4:07am

Consider the contract and LMO as separate requirement by CPC-Vegreville for your work permit application, they will evaluate it independently.  But, considering your employer already submitted your name to Service Canada, then I believe it will supplement your application, but still there's no guarantee for it could have been best if you applied and submitted the named LMO yourself with your WP application.  I do hope it will be considered...

Less than a month ago, processing time for paper application for new employer was just 39-45 days, and for online, it's 57 days.  But for unknown reasons, paper application stopped progressing, now the processing delay is 80 days.  So, it's good you applied online.  But i hope CPC would check backlogs for paper application.  Good luck on your application.

As to mine, I have not appllied for work permit yet because I got a better job offer in other province and my LMO is currently on process. Keeping my fingers crossed, too! Goodluck to both of us.... Send us an update on your application for possible reference.

madisonlilac28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madisonlilac28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 5:09am
Hi,

I spent 3 years in USA for working there and its to difficult to get a working visa usa. Its fairly to find work if you are dedicated and hardworking.
rnbdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnbdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 6:23am
there's a recent postal strike, that's why the paper app. have some delays.
one more thing cherry, did you submit bank statement prior to your wp application? 

cherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 8:04pm
Yeah I agree with you.  I opted to grab the other offer because there's a quite big chance to bring my family. We're here for our family, aren't we?

Regarding the bank statement, I have not applied yet but it is a requirement so we must include one.  But I think it's up to the visa officer because since we are workers, our financial support will come from our wages. There could be a little consideration on that.  When I first applied for WP from my home country, I did not submit. But for the new employer, I'll try to, only that, I do not have much money in the bank, I've got a meager savings of only 3000CAD..Hope bank statement would  not be big deal for WP application.
Peter Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 5:41am
I like this forum. I am feeling proud that I have searched a great way of knowledge for visa information.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic