Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oath Ceremony Experience Citizenship Ceremony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlingbrenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Janpreet Janpreet wrote:

Even if I try any month or 'ALL', it still gives no date Confused
They post the oath date on monthly basis.
They remove all the past oath dates. That why it does not display.
Wait till they schedule future Oath dates for May.
ehab101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehab101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:44am
Hi
I have my oath ceremony on July 27. I have applied for myself and my kids. The kids have to travel for emergency and won't be able to attend. They are not required as they are under 10 years. However I don't have their PR Cards as  they need it for travel. What would happen when I go to get their ceritificate without the PR cards. I have everything else (COPR , health cards, SIN and even colored photo of teh PR cards?
Has any body come accross a similar situation? What happened then?

canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 11:34am
ehab101,

PR Cards MUST be surrendered to CIC officials on the oath ceremony day in order to become a Canadian citizen. You cannot keep them just for using them to come back into Canada.
Are the kids required to be present at the oath? If the kids do not attend the ceremony, I'm not sure if CIC will allow them to become Canadians on the oath day and if they do not surrender the cards.

Do not attempt to use the cards if they become citizens. It will trigger big problems at the airport upon return. CBSA won't be happy.

You better call CIC Call Centre and speak to a citizenship agent.

You can try the following:

-Apply for urgent Cdn passports for the kids after the oath ceremony
OR
-delay the oath by not attending so they remain PRs.
OR
-bear the cost and change the travel dates

Sorry but it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you notify CIC of any change of plans. Notify CIC so maybe they can postpone your ceremonies and perhaps can allow others who are waiting to take oath and willing to come to the oath ceremony.

ehab101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehab101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 12:09pm
Hi
Maybe I was not clear. I am already here. I have not left the country. I have my PR card with  me. It is only the kids who are still under age and  they are not rquired to  attend the oath ceremony. If I go and hand my PR card, are they going to give me the certificte for myself?
The second question is for the kids. If I told them the situation that the kids are not here and they had to travel for emergency and they have their PR cards with them what would be the actions?
What would happen if someone lost their PR cards on the day before their ceremony? There must be an alternative?
You can't apply for Canadian passport if the person is not in the country, right?
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 2:20pm
1. See: Citizenship Ceremonies

2. You should notify CIC/the citizenship officer so that they can postpone the kids ceremony, etc to a later date after they return. It is important for you to let CIC know about the travels of the kids. If CIC cancels the cards in the system on oath day, it will lead to issues at the airport upon arrival, for using canceled cards to gain entry.

3. A loss of PR Card has to be reported (file a police report), and notify CIC Call Centre (or the citizenship officer) immediately, so that the PR Card is not misused by someone else to try and gain entry to Canada by illegal means.

People who require passports while they are outside their country have to contact and apply for passport at the nearest embassy/consulate in the foreign country. (this is common sense). They must however, have the citizenship card to prove their citizenship.

ehab101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehab101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 2:26pm
That os what I am trying to point out.

Of course I will call the CIC call center on Monday to check with them.

But I was asking if someone lost the PR card a day before his oath cermony (and he reported that to the police) isn't there an alternative for him when he goes to the ceremony day the following day of his loss of the card?

Plus how can the kids while they are overseas get a passport if I can't get the certificate for them because they have the PR card with them. The option of the passport for the kids is ruled out as they don't have the certificate and won't be able to get them from CIC on the oath day without the PR cards (if that is what you are trying to say).
ehab101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehab101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 6:18pm
I guess I found the asnwer to my question. Here is what I found

Persons responsible for administering the oath may use their judgment in determining whether an exception should be made to allow an applicant who has forgotten to bring the permanent resident card to participate in the ceremony, with the understanding that the applicant will become a citizen, but will receive only the commemorative document at that time.

In this case, the applicant completes the declaration below at the time of the ceremony and a copy may be given to the applicant. An envelope bearing the local office address is given to the applicant for ease of sending the permanent resident card. The applicant’s file with the citizenship certificate (wallet-size card) will be retained at the local office until the applicant brings or sends the permanent resident card to be revoked

CP15
ctz2011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctz2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:44pm
Hi,

My citizenship ceremony will be on November 17th.   I know the letter says max. 2 guests, but there are 3 people that would like to come and this is very important for them and me.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,
johnnywalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by ctz2011 ctz2011 wrote:

Hi,

My citizenship ceremony will be on November 17th.   I know the letter says max. 2 guests, but there are 3 people that would like to come and this is very important for them and me.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

I've never heard of the 2 guest limit. Quite the contrary, the judge said explicitly that the ceremony was open to anyone, even if they are just walking by and are not with someone who's taking the oath. 

Might depend on location, but my guess is nobody's going to mind. Have fun and congrats.
Duxan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duxan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:08pm
Very similar to rrmaron's story. Except, in Calgary they get you to sign the oath form (last 2 signatures) as soon as you arrive, i.e. before the actual ceremony. Also, seats are not assigned, i.e. the whole thing is on a "first-come-first seated" basis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic