Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bilal Arshad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilal Arshad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage
    Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 8:15pm
hey Hi every one plz help me

i m bilal arshad and i m in uk right now i got a study visa from pakistan. actually i want to go to canada and that was not easy to get the visa from pakistan so i thought than may b i can get from london. i have one person in canada and he born in canada, he is ready to help me and get me to canada in any how. but we r not how!!! so if is there any suggestion then tell me thanks.
hattmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hattmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:58pm
Hello:
I went thru the process in June of last yr and all I had to do was bring my original Birth Certificate and Passport to the Canadian Embassy in Manila.
You fill out a couple of forms and wait for a short while followed by brief interview.
And they issue you the Certificate then.
App:sent Cic Miss. Mar/08/2011
letter recd.Mar/25/2011 apprvd spousal sponsor.
App fwd to Manila
App. recd in manila Apr6
request for parental consent apr 14
RL1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:44am

Good day

The Embassy  does not verify a person's eligibility to marry.  We only witness the person stating a declaration that he/she is free to marry.

Sincerely,

Consular Section | La Section Consulaire

Email address  [email protected]

Telephone | Téléphone +63 2 8579000

Facsimile | Télécopieur +63 2 8431082   

Embassy of Canada Manila | Ambassade du Canada Manille          

RL1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:43am

Here is the official response from the candian embassy in manila.

Good day,

Thank you for your enquiry.  The Embassy can only issue an Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.

The applicant must present his/her original Canadian passport or citizenship certificate in-person.  If the applicant has been married previously, then documentary proof that the marriage is no longer valid, such as a divorce decree or death certificate of the late spouse, must also be presented.

A fee of CAD $ 50 or PHP 2,150 for witnessing the affidavit is payable.  Fees may be paid in cash or in the form of a Manager's Check payable to "Embassy of Canada, Manila" (if in Philippine pesos) or "Receiver General of Canada" (if in Canadian dollars). 

The affidavit is issued on the same day.

The applicant must submit the application in-person at:

Consular Section
Embassy of Canada

Level 8, Tower 2, RCBC Plaza
6819 Ayala Avenue
Makati City 0707

Public hours:
Monday to Thursday: 9:00 to 1:30 pm

Friday: 9:00 am to 12:00 nn

Prior appointments are not required.

or

Consulate of Canada in Cebu
45-L Andres Abellana Street
Cebu City 6000
Tel: 63.32.255.3069
By appointment only

hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:41pm
hello RL
i just got married in the phillipines i had to get a search done here in canada in the province of last address to prove i was not married had to get copy of divorce and had to sent it in to get a red ribon put on the papers  from the department of jugdement its a special seal my wife had to do the same thing with her singleniss document and certificate of birth you get them true the NSO  then sent them to the   department of foreigh affairs in the phillipines for red ribon
then we had to sent mine and her's paper the to the Canadian Embassy wich will then give you your Certificate of legal capacity the reason we had to go true all this garbage they told us because to many foreighners been getting married even they are still married in there own country's and even have 2 or 3 wifes there anyway;s thats what we had to do to get married in the phillipines  you could do a searsh online i think  and hav it sent to you where did you last live in Canada i can try to find for you you dont want to go there and find out you need more papers cuz thy are getting hard to deal with and always wants money but if you do it right no problems we learned th hard way (always something lol )
Hans
RL1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:06pm
Hi Hans,

I havent lived in Canada for over 3 yrs. Actually I recently moved to the US and claim no residency in Canada. However I am still a Canadian citizen. I dont understand why they would make you go back to Canada to get a search done if they dont mention it on the Canadian Embassy website.

Can I ask the details of why they made you go back??
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Hendrix Hendrix wrote:

Originally posted by RL1234 RL1234 wrote:

I am a canadian citizen engaged to a wonderful Philippine woman. We have been living together in vietnam for the past year and wish to get married in philippines in 3 months. I have not been married before but lived common law in a previous relationship for 20 yrs and have two children back in canada. How does the Canada embassy verify my "legal capacity" to get married?

Just go to the Canadian Embassy in Manila, show them your passport and sign a paper declaring you have never been married before. It really is that simple other than having to travel to the Philippines and find the embassy.

I got married in the Philippines so unless the laws have changed I agree that it is a simple process.

Go to the Canadian Embassy in Manila (Makati). It is in the RCBC Plaza on Ayala Avenue.
Request the Legal Capacity to Marriage form.
Fill out the form.
You may need to present 2 pieces of ID. Passport and something else.
Pay the fees.

After you have the Legal Capacity to Marriage form. Yougo to the city hall of the town you are going to get married in. Apply for the marriage license. Allow for 10 or 15 days waiting period. Not sure about this one. You may also be required to take a marriage councelling seminar.

Once the waiting period is over, I believe you have 90 days or 120 days to get get married or you need to apply for a new mariage license.

Cheers!!!

Where abouts in the Philippines are you getting married? I own a 2 bedroom condo in Davao city that my wife and I rent out as a vacation property while we are in Canada.
Best to inquire a few months in advance.

Hendrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 9:26am
Originally posted by RL1234 RL1234 wrote:

I am a canadian citizen engaged to a wonderful Philippine woman. We have been living together in vietnam for the past year and wish to get married in philippines in 3 months. I have not been married before but lived common law in a previous relationship for 20 yrs and have two children back in canada. How does the Canada embassy verify my "legal capacity" to get married?

Just go to the Canadian Embassy in Manila, show them your passport and sign a paper declaring you have never been married before. It really is that simple other than having to travel to the Philippines and find the embassy.
Sept. 14 - CPC-M Received App
Oct. 8 - Sponsor Approved
Oct. 20 - MLA - In Process - Req PP, Med & UAE PC
Dec. 1 - Med & UAE PC received by Embassy
March 28 - VISA in hand :)
hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 1:05am
hi i am married to a philipina to get your legal capacity you have no choice to come back to canada you have to get a marrage seach done and the you have to get a what the call red ribbon seal i dont know where you live in canada but in alberta you have to get the seach done at motor vehicles then you have to sent it to Edmonton it takes about 3 weeks before you get it back i think it cost about 20 or 30 dollars then you have to sent it to manila embassy for approval good luck
Hans
RL1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 10:39am
Thanks... still worried because of the "unpredicatable" policies in Philppines. I have been there many times and each time some on always tries to take advantage of the "foreigner" :(
Still love the place though... NOT everyone is bad:)

Any additional comments are still welcome!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic