Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Current temp resident applying for study permit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current temp resident applying for study permit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cmillhoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmillhoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current temp resident applying for study permit
    Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:52pm
Hi Everyone!

I am hoping someone can answer my question. I have lived and worked in Canada for a year and a half as research assistant at a Canadian University. I recently was accepted to the university I work at for post-secondary study. My current work permit expires at the end of August, at which time I will drive to my closest border crossing (I'm a U.S. citizen) and apply for my study permit.

However, my husband (on an open work permit based on my permit) and I want to stay in Canada and become permanent residents. I will qualify for the Canadian Experience Class permanent residency the beginning of August because I will have worked in Canada for over two years.

Is it possible to apply for permanent residency while I'm attending school on my study permit? Or will I have to wait until after I am done with school to apply?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We love Canada and want to stay, just without the headaches of always worrying when our work/study permits will expire.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic