Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Study permit, but intending to remain in Canada?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Study permit, but intending to remain in Canada?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agingoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study permit, but intending to remain in Canada?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 4:05pm
Hello, this may be a silly question, but I'm feeling very confused on this matter. 

I am hoping to apply for a study permit for post-graduate study (once I have completed my undergraduate study in the UK) and wish to then apply for the post-graduation work experience permit after finishing my Canadian education, then Canadian experience PR.

But my question is: if I am intending to remain in the country after completing my studies, will this hinder my chances of obtaining a study permit? (as the CIC website states that "You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies"). 

I would be hoping not to leave the country after my studies as I apparently need to apply for the post-graduation work permit while my study permit is still active...
tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 11:00am
u will be eligible for an oen work permit after ur studies in canada
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 6:46pm
Yes - one of the criteria of a study visa application is that you must prove that you have strong ties to your home country and plan to leave Canada once your studies have been completed. If you have plans to stay in Canada long term and can't show strong ties to your home country - yes, this will certainly hinder your application.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic