Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accra, Ghana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 59>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 11:01am
I think Crappra has been "out to lunch" for a long time, nevermind taking the Holidays off..If we dont hear from them this week, I guess I will be seeing my husband some time in the new year..Perhaps they will bless us on our 5 YEAR WEDDING ANNIVERSARY on Jan 10..Not holding my breathe for that either.I guess we all just have to remember they are doing it for our own protection..HA!!!!!Ouch!

AYA
"fern"
symbol of endurance and resourcefulness
"An individual who wears this symbol suggests that he has endured many adversities and outlasted much difficulty."
N~Delta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N~Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 1:16pm
I'm not sure how this bit of news will help your cases but i had no problems dealing with the Accra office during and after the interview..  The interview was tough but fair depending on your take..  Keep it simple and credible,study your case and be well prepared...

I landed a few days ago into a snowy Toronto. The landing process was short and quick.I was able to apply for the Ohip and Sin numbers at service Canada in Scarborough the following day. The driver's license people i was told are on strike but more importantly,the process looks daunting.. I am looking for solutions,ideas~please help..

Job options:I am a tradesman with a vast experience in Facilities Management /maintenance ,Gas,HVAC,Plmbing in the UK..  I have negotiated placement in a local training facility in Toronto to gain  G1 certification in gas.. It is a six months programme @ $7000 and the curriculum is approved by Tass. The only reason i am taking this route is to overcome the Canada experience jinx... Is this the right way to go....

Thanks and i look forward to your suggestions..

Edited by N~Delta - 12 Dec 2009 at 11:29pm
hazangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 12:52pm
Everyone is different in their approach, but for me I think having my husband take some sort of schooling in Canada (whether it be mechanics, culinary, trades,medical) will be the best way to go. I believe it will be a bit of a struggle otherwise to obtain a decent paying job..
Even for myself, although educated in Canada (and a Canadian citizen) but having worked primarily in the US, I have found that my experience isnt taken into consideration here as far as pay scale. (which is quite funny to me because my experience while working in the US has been exceptional)..It is what it is, Canada has their own standards and it's about jumping the hoops and playing the game.
So, if one has the means, I think it's a good investment into the future to either upgrade your skills or find a new skill set that is marketable..(ie:with the aging population, the medical field may be the way to go).
Any other opinions out there?
AYA
"fern"
symbol of endurance and resourcefulness
"An individual who wears this symbol suggests that he has endured many adversities and outlasted much difficulty."
N~Delta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N~Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 12:08am

hazangle,thanks... I have already paid for the gas programme and will start in March.My short term goal is  to establish some local contacts and leads through this process,especially seeing that most of the curriculum is field based....Low paying, dead~end jobs are not in my immediate plans...

gggomez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gggomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 10:55am
Ndelta, have you also checked other provinces in canada for work in this field! BC, youkon and Alberta are coming up with projects in this field. I don't know to much about ON though. Anyway check with you city hall for new and proposed projects that are happening in your area, it might be helpful to u.

cheers from the gambia
yere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:41am
Ndelta-Not sure what seemed daunting about the driver's lic. Though they are on strike there are 4-5 offices open that you can get some services at. My husband-who is a Ghanaian had to get a letter rom the Ghanaian High Commission saying his Ghana lic was legit. With that he was able to write the exam all Ontarians write to get their driver's permit (this is an exam on signs etc). Once you pass that you can practice drive with a someone else in the car (no driving on your own). The difference between those who have foreign lic is and canadians getting the permit for the first time is that you can move to step 2 immediately. That involves doing a driving test. Of course that part can't happen until the strike is over. 
yere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:44am
Ndelta-By the way you mentioned your experiences with accra weren't difficult-if you feel comfortable could you say a bit about your situation. Were you sponsored by your wife in canada? How long did it take? You mentioned Uk-were you living there? What country did you apply from?
N~Delta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N~Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 4:16pm

Thanks yere and gggomez... It took all of 12 months from the date Accra acknowledged receipt of my file to the interview,i was sponsored.

I was living and working in the UK albeit without status and only returned home(Nigeria)to attend the interview. All of the documents included in my petition were from the UK including academic credentials,taxes,bank and job details.I made her aware of my status in the UK and answered her questions honestly. My sponsor travelled to Accra with me but was not allowed into the interview room.She is a divorcee,10yrs older and fairly financially well off and no children.. She is caucasian and i'm Black.

I didn't have the benefit of a site like this before the interview and only prepared myself like i would for a job interiew. I was in a good employment in the UK as a shift engineer and could've continued in that capacity.So,coming to Canada wasn't looked upon as having any economic advantage. I left the interview knowing i have been accepted but had to wait 2  weeks for the re-do medical instructions to arrive in the post..
Hope this bit of information will help someone... Cheers.

Edited by N~Delta - 14 Dec 2009 at 9:16pm
leappiah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leappiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 12:11pm

It's way too quiet around here! There should definitely be some communication from Accra for SOME of us! Unless they've already left for the holidays... Wacko

My husband and children were able to do their medicals today. We got around the passport issue with a document that the clinic provided that is used as a stand-in passport, usually for people who's passport applications are still in process. He just had to take it to the courthouse to have it notarized/authenticated. Tomorrow he picks up his police certificate, so Monday he should be making a delivery to the HC. Guess we'll find out then if anybody is still working there, hehe.

Let's hope that these immigration officers are so refreshed from their holidays that they get really busy in January and those of us who are waiting for final word get it!
suzieq616 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suzieq616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 1:14pm
Accra has had all our completed documents now for over 2 months and been in process for almost a month.  I ordered CAIPS that I hope to have sometime next week.  At least then I can see what they have actually done on the file and what the holdup might be.  Doesn't look like there will be any good news for us for Christmas or before the new year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 59>
  Share Topic