Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accra, Ghana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobshynoswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Forestmember Forestmember wrote:

Now, I can check the status of the application. I pray that Accra works faster. 

The only thing which is disturbing me is that my wife was recently denied visitor's visa twice. I needed her during a surgery but she was denied for lack of travelling history, though the Drs wrote twice to CIC to allow her since I need someone to be with me for some months after the surgery.

I submitted lots of evidence (200 pictures from 2002, when we were in University together to date, 150 page phone records with all her numbers highlighted, pain doing that, 80 page text messages with all her numbers highlighted, uncountable emails, money transfers, my life insurance, my Ghana, 2009 tax returns listing her as my spouse, 50 greeting cards, 70 envelopes used to mail letters, FEDEX waybills addressed to her from 2006 to date, my MSc degree dedication page to her, STC bus tickets showing our names, lots of hotel and restaurants receipts. 

As far as I know, its all about God and luck. 

Not entirely all about God and luck. You obviously have a fantastic application explaining a solid marriage, and I think she will probably  have her visa shortly after the new year.  The denied visas will have no affect - after all, she was coming to visit you!

Best of luck to you, but I really feel that your wait will not be long.
Sponsored Nigerian Husband
Married April 22, 2010
App received CIC-M May 18, 2010
File Tranfered to Accra June 22, 2010
Interview: Aug 24, 2010
Visa issued: Aug 24, 2010
Landed: Sept 9, 2010
Forestmember View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestmember Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 9:43am
Bobshynoswife, you were right about the application timeline. Accra started processing my wife's application and the next day, they have written to her to come for interview on January 19th. Its something I am surprised but not worried because every single thing is genuine. Anyway, Bobshynoswife, I noticed you were married exactly a month before me (lol). I will keep everyone updated with things as they progress. Any special preparation for the Accra office interview?

Married in May 2010
Applied for sponsorship on Sept 23 2010
Application Rcvd Sept 27 2010 (MIS)
Sponsorship Approved Oct 28 2010
Accra started processing on Nov 11th
Interview requested date: Nov 12th
Interview Date: January 19 2011

Edited by Forestmember - 13 Nov 2010 at 9:48am
lkretai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkretai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 5:45pm
Living the nightmare...  going on three years and now in the appeals process.  Our relationship was never an issue and, despite clear criminal record and police reports, Accra deem my husband a "security" risk... 

The Minister's Counsel had to gall to invite us to reapply... how is that going to change things?  Due to the complex nature of our case and the total SNAFU we have endured at the hands of CIC Accra, I have hired a lawyer for the appeal.  He is planning to appeal on humanitarian grounds.  So, we begin the wait... AGAIN!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestmember Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 3:19pm
It appears the Accra group is silent. 
By the way, is there any special and Accra specific preparation one has to do for interview in January 2011.
Thanks
App Rcvd Sept 27 2010 (MIS)
Sponsor Appro Oct 28 2010
Accra started proc on Nov 11th
Interview rqst on: Nov 12th
Interview: Jan 19 2011
Visa Rcvd:Jan 19 2011
Arrrived Jan 27 2011
PR Card rvd March 9
tapenten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:48pm
My child's sponsorship application was denied by the same guy called Anthony Chee Chue. I have my son on my application from 13 years ago, and on my landed it was stated that he has met all statutory requirement but is not accompanying. this guy wanted me to do a DNA by force because I lost the original birth certificate of my son, which i had submitted 13 years ago to immigration. ghana birth and death has issue a new one to my son and this Anthony is saying that because a new one has been issue he smell foul play and so my son and I should do a DNA. Anthony states in his letters that DNA is optional but yet in his decision he said that the was not sufficient ducomentary evidence. That menas that I must a DNA which I have to pay. This is fucked up! I find the Canadian High Commission in Accra to be very bias and not fair at all. I find that we are treatd different because we are Adricans. I as a sponsor have a right not to DNA, but rather back up my evidence with documents. 
Tev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestmember Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:38pm
I sympathize with you Tapenten. The DNA test is optional. However, it is the surest way of getting your child's visa. I believe you know 100% that the kid is your own. Therefore, I see no reason why you did not do the DNA test. 

Let me give you some examples here:
My female office mate who had a child in Canada with Ontario Birth Certificate (Caucasian mum and a Ghanaian dad) and stayed together for 7 years was still asked to do the DNA before the dad could get his permanent resident. As soon as the DNA results was in, they waived his interview and other paper documents they initially requested and issued him with the Visa.

I also know of another woman (Caucasian with a husband from Ghana). She helped me after my surgery and I know her really well. They lived in Toronto for 8 years, then moved to this town. They have a boy who is now 12 years-Born in Vancouver with Canadian Birth certificate. The Ghanaian husband only had expired Visitors visa/study permit for all those many years. When they applied for PR, he was asked to do DNA. He refused because he does not see why after 8 years of marriage blessed with a kid, he should do DNA. 
After 3 years of "do DNA" and "I will not do DNA because Kwame is my son", he was given deportation order. The wife and the boy had visited their dad in Ghana 4 times since he moved to Ghana. The cost? plenty. Yet, all their boarding passes did not convince anyone in Accra the relationship is genuine and the kid is their real child (they had a wedding in Canada). For the last 5 years, he is in Kumasi. His wife has applied 3 times for him but each time denied. The worse of it all is that, the wife recently received a letter  indicating that her appeals are cancelled because the husband is inadmissible to Canada. She has filed for divorce.

I did some work at a centre where out of the 6 supposed refugee families I dealt with, 5 of them immigrated to Canada with children of other people as their biological kids. Two of them come from Ghana but with Liberia passport as refugees. Some of the kids are from aunts, and unrelated people who paid for their tickets in return to have their children on the application. 
When I applied as PR, I received offers like that to have people give me monetary returns while I include their children as my biological one. Of course, I did not.

If your truly believe the child is your biological one, re-apply and this time, submit the DNA results. It cost money but even if you appeal, it will cost you more money and TIME. They will also question why for 13 years, now is the time you want to bring your son to live with you. The only way to clear the doubt they have is a DNA which never lies.

I do not know about the statutory requirements for keeping documents at Canadian High Commission offices. I know for some government agencies and public institutions , documents can be archived or destroyed after 10 years. As I said, I don't know about CIC. But if they have a 10 year optional limit, they will not search for your child's birth cert from their archives.
Do not trust Accra to keep your documents safe. My wife went for a Visitor's visa (denied) not long ago. After the denial she forget to pick her documents and came home. She returned later and was told they are not there. All the originals and copies. The only luck was that, a CIC officer here told me even when they ask for original, I should never send my Original Marriage cert but a certified one. If I had given her the original, I would have been crying now. Don't trust them with your documents.

Appeal is OK but long. If you do the DNA, re-applying may save you time. Good luck.

If I have learnt nothing in Canada in these years, I know this: When you knock and someone says "You MAY come in" He is actually saying come in. In Ghana, it means you have the option to stay out and still get served or come in and get served.
lkretai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkretai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 7:18pm
I sympathize as well.  I don't care much for Anthony Chee Chue as he denied my husband's PRV.  We are in the midst of a circus of an appeal.  My lawyer is fairly disgusted with the whole situation.  So, here's hoping our appeal will go forward!  I know we have been jumping through enough hoops with the Accra Visa Post as well, but as the other person commented, it's the few bad apples that ruin the whole bunch!  It seems that legitimate applicants are treated as criminals at times...  :(
tapenten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:31am
But my question is that is DNA mandatory across the board. Or are we bieng discriminated against because we are Africans? Does Canada immigration demands DNA from applicants from Western Europe and US? Then CIC should come out and say loud and clear that All African countries must do a DNA because we don't trust the Ghanaian or African institutions such as the department that issue birth certificates. This is very wrong and this Institutional descriminations and racism must come to a halt. I have lived in Canada over a decade and when it comes to paying taxes, the Government of Canada does not say that because you are an African you pay less taxes than the white person. So why then should I not submit my documents just as someone would submit their documents is a Western country where they awould not request a DNA and the documents are trusted. This is wrong because the money I spent dong the DNA is suppose to stay in my bank account, and not the DNA company!
Tev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestmember Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:04pm
Tapenten,
You are right about the DNA not being mandatory. It is optional on the Africa specific form (the form where they list the check list and other things for people applying from Ghana). At the same time and on that same form, they have written newly issued documents are not accepted if you are from certain countries including my sweet Ghana. On page A-4 of that same form (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3912e.pdf), it is written DNA is optional but submitting it speed up your application. The next line states clearly that DNA test is mandatory if you do not provide satisfactory documents (originals). In your case, DNA is compulsory because you did not provide original old enough birth cert. You only provided a newly issued document and that is not accepted for people as old as your son.

I do not think its discrimination. I am a Ghanaian and got my PR in 5 months from time of application. Some US citizens get denied after a year and have to appeal. Is that discrimination? NO. 

Some CIC staff work like policy robots. They only follow exactly what is written on paper without there could have been typing error.
In my previous response, I gave you two examples. In both examples, the Canadian child, the white Canadian mum, and the Ghanaian dads were all asked to do the DNA test. The first guy (my office mate husband is a Ghanaian but holds US citizen also). The second guy (Kwame's dad) holds only Ghanaian passport. Both families including the white mums were asked to do the test. The family that did the test is living together in Canada. The one that did not has been separated for 5 years.
If you do the DNA test, you may be waived (CIC will decide that and not me) most of the documents required on section A-3 (like Weighing card, road to health card, primary school registrar and attendance sheets . If you submit genuine DNA blood results, your child gets his visa in the case of my friend same day the results are received and processed.

Do not think I am siding with Immigration Canada. I only support applications based on facts and not fiction or expectations. I know how it is to be denied a visa because my wife, a banker with her own house, $13,000 (at time of application) was denied the visa to visit me when I was to undergo bone transplant. Team of Drs wrote to CIC-Accra on the issue and said I needed her in Canada before they could do the surgery. Accra denied her for not having ties in Ghana. An MP here and a Canadian Minister together with the Drs wrote again to Accra to issue her with the visa. They denied her a second time for not having Enough Travelling History. Letters were sent to Jason Kenny but nothing happened. The only thing was somebody calling and telling me my wife will be denied the visa as many times as she applies as visitor because Spousal visitors outside Canada are excepted from receiving compassionate visa but that she will be given her PR as soon as it gets there complete. A local CIC officer told me the exact reason my wife was denied when she went to the system including about 4 staff deciding independently whether to issue her the visitor's visa or not. 
Do you think I am on their side, NO. but neither am I against them. Am on the side of every genuine applicant.

If that person is your biological son, shorten your time of Appeal, IAD etc and just re-apply but this time with DNA blood test. Even if it goes to the appeals, from what the Ministry of Justice has on their site (http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/rep-rap/2003/rr03_la17-rr03_aj17/p63.html),  you will still do the DNA before your appeal is successful because that is the only way they can identify family relationships. Appeals take longer than initial application.

If you are currently in Ghana, do it there because its cheaper than in Canada. If you are back in Canada, the test will cost anything between $500-1000 (tax deductible).

If you know that person is kid of an aunt or friend or someone completely not related to you, apply to adopt the person first and file for the person. NO DNA is involved here.

By the way, I am from Ghana, sweet Ghana.

Edited by Forestmember - 06 Jan 2011 at 4:17pm
N~Delta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N~Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:52pm
I wouldn't have any problem  submitting to DNA testing especially if it may HELP bolster my application.

Edited by N~Delta - 15 Jan 2011 at 10:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>
  Share Topic