Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nursing Work Permit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebmarnp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nursing Work Permit
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 2:16pm

Hello:

I am currently in the process of applying for my work permit to Canada from the US.  I am fortunate that I was not required to have a LMO as a Nurse Practitioner, but I am finding a few roadblocks which will probably delay my new job's start date of May 31st.  They are as below:

1.) I had my medical examination today as required by the CIC for my profession.  I was informed at the time that it will take an additional 2-3 months time to process this paperwork.  Is this in addition to the 2 months processing time the NY consulate has posted on the CIC website or is my work visa application processed separately from my medical examination?

2.) Is there anything I can do to expedite the processing of my medical examination?  I will probably send the office in Ottawa a personal letter but I am uncertain whether this will be effective.

3.) Would it have been smarter of me to apply for my work permit, in person, to either the NY Consulate or apply at a border crossing (such as Toronto) with Immigrations?

4.) Will I receive my work permit before my medical examination has been processed, and if so...

5.) Would it be possible for me to start my job before my medical examination is complete, as long as I am not involved in direct patient care? IE: Begin orientation/shadowing, which is what my employer would like me to complete in the weeks before I begin working independently.

I appreciate your assistance!

Liz

Edited by ebmarnp - 11 Apr 2011 at 2:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic