Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexican To Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amandahz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican To Canada
    Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:44pm
My name is Amanda at the moment I am living in Puebla, Mexico with my husband Francisco javier. I am a United States Citizen, and my husband is a Mexican National. We have choosen to live in mexico because we have to wait 10 years to even be able to start the paper work on his becoming an American Citizen. I have my FM-3 visa and have a couple question regarding if we are both applicable to immigrate to BC Canada. My family all lives in Washington State so BC would be the best place since we would have some kind of support system. I want to study nursing in Washington State, but I don't want to be away from my husband so i want to know if  we can both apply for a Skilled Worker immigrant visa and relocate to Canada. What documents do we both need, meaning passport, birth certificate, ect. Does the same visa apply for both of us? We are both going to want to work, but we have not had the means to do any genral studies apart from high school so we don't specialize in anything specific other then my husband can bar tend and i work six months with the forest servious in washington state. We both have our passports, mine being American and his being Mexican, and have both never been to Canada illegally or legally. We do have a small source of income in Mexico, but if need be my family has stated that they will sponser us if allowed. I get so confused reading all the different websites because i find that almost everyone says something different from the next. I would like to know what documents are needed, and if my husband is eligable as well.  deeply greatful for any help you can give me.
Thank you
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 7:59am
If you want to apply as federal skilled workers, then one of you needs to have an occupation that falls under one of the categories listed on this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigrate/skilled/complete-applications.asp#tphp%20idtphp

If you don't fall under one of these categories, then you will need a job offer in Canada if you want to apply as federal skilled workers.

If you do not have a job offer, then the federal skilled worker route is probably not possible and you should start looking at the provincial nominee programs (see link below). Having said that, I suspect you may find it diffcult to qualify under these programs as well since you don't have specialized qualifications/experience.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/index.asp

For identity documents, you should both have birth certificates and passports available. You will also need to provide your marriage certificate - and eventually police certificates for every country you've lived in for six months or more since the age of 18 (whether you lived there legally or illegally).

There is nothing stopping you and your husband from immigrating if you qualify.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
Amandahz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amandahz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 11:25am
Thank you so much for you reply, does it make any differance that i am american, does that help at all? like if i were to go first with my passport and then apply for my husband when i am in canada?

And if i could find a job before i go, and/or apply how quick is the process because i am sure they will not want to hold a job for me for months or a year...
Thank you
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 12:14pm
No - being American won't really make the immigration process faster for you. (There is no immigratin fast track for Americans and they must qualify for immigration just like everyone else.)

If you submit an immigration appliction with a job offer, the process will still take months to complete.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic