Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to Marry Filipina

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:16am
My fiancee too lives in Taguig, we will be getting married by the Mayor of Malasiqui Pangasinan. I hope my trip will be as easy as yours was. Smile

Originally posted by SteelAce SteelAce wrote:

Hello again bjwheeler77,

I just got back from the Phils on Monday (as a married man.. hehe).

As a follow up to my previous post, and after now having gone through the process, I can now provide some further details regarding the 'Legal Capacity to Marry' document which must be obtained from the Canadian embassy in Manila.

Contrary to what I was told by the Philippines embassy in Ottawa, the Canadian embassy in Manila did not ask for or even mention the provincial 'single status declarations' when I applied for the 'Legal Capacity to Marry' document.  In fact, the waiting time to see the embassy rep was longer than the time it took to actually get the document.. hehe.  We waited approx. 20min in the embassy lobby, and once our number was called, it only took about 5min to process the document.  They only asked for my original birth certificate, passport, and the fee of Php 2,150.  They also asked that I fill out a quick form in the lobby while waiting, which ended up being the basis for the 'Legal Capacity' document.  So basically it was a breeze.

After that, my wife & I went to her city hall (in Taguig) and applied for the marriage license.  The waiting time was 10 calender days (not 10 business days).  For a civil wedding, in case you're not willing to pay a bribe to the judge, it would be good to schedule it as soon as possible because there could be a considerable waiting time to get an appointment for the ceremony.  We opted to pay the judge's office an additional fee so that they could perform the ceremony before I came back to Canada (1 day after the release of the marriage license).

Hope this helps & good luck.

SteelAce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 2:20am
P.S.  If you apply for your marriage license in Taguig where your fiancee lives, they are one of the cities which requires a pre-marital seminar (as mentioned previously by rbenoit).  When we applied for our license, they gave us an appointment for the seminar on the following day.  It only takes about an hour, and is very basic.  Most of the seminar involved watching videos about the menstrual cycle & working around it to avoid unplanned pregnancies.  Guess they focus on that due to the high population in the Phils.  I thought it would be more about financial planning for families & stuff.. hehe.  They don't require you to understand Tagalog in order to attend the Tagalog version of the seminar, in case you can't wait until their next available English seminar.
4/30-CPC-M
6/3-Sponsor DM
6/9-Approval letter; QC Cert. app. sent
6/17-Start Manila
7/2-AOR with PP & AOM request
7/19-PP & AOM received
8/13-Approval QC Cert.
9/7-DM :))
9/16-Visa received!
bjwheeler77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 11:28pm
Well in just 3 weeks I am off to the Philippines. I will be getting married on the 18th of April. I hope everything goes well. Smile
cherubim1964 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherubim1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 6:49am
hello bjw, i do wish everything will be great and smooth for you and your wifey, and congratulations!!!  My canadian honey is coming for our civil wedding in 2 weeks, and am just frustrated in looking for someone to marry us.  i had been checking out the fees in manila cityhall and the judge fees really surprises me as they range from 5,000 to nearly 10,000 pesos.  Their reason, fees are different for foreigners...gggrrrrrrrr.  Anyway, i checked for our mayor's fees and the fees is less than a 100 pesos and depending on which tuesday he is available (of course..).  oh i know my honey calls me a tightwad at times and sorry to be whining here...
SteelAce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 2:21pm
@bjwheeler77

Good luck to you on your trip and for your marriage.  Just make sure to take lots of pictures at the wedding ceremony & reception so that you can include them in your sponsorship application afterwards.  And if possible, try to include family & friends in the pictures to further strengthen your case.

Ciao & take care.
4/30-CPC-M
6/3-Sponsor DM
6/9-Approval letter; QC Cert. app. sent
6/17-Start Manila
7/2-AOR with PP & AOM request
7/19-PP & AOM received
8/13-Approval QC Cert.
9/7-DM :))
9/16-Visa received!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 9:19pm
I wanted to ask this and I'm not sure if this has been asked on here before but I only made $18,000 last year. Will that affect me being able to sponsor my soon to be wife?
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 9:31pm
No, you don't have to meet any financial requirements to be able to sponsor a spouse so long as it's just her coming to canada.

You just can't be getting money from the government.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by audball audball wrote:

No, you don't have to meet any financial requirements to be able to sponsor a spouse so long as it's just her coming to canada.

You just can't be getting money from the government.

Thanks for your help. That is a big relief to me. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 11:43pm
just over 1 week to go. Today I got my visa, didn't think it would come thru before I went. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 5:00pm
well tomorrow I am off to the Philippines to get Married. I hope everything goes well. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic