Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to Marry Filipina

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking to Marry Filipina
    Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 12:49am
I am going to be going to marry my fiancee in April I just need to make sure I know everything I need to know to get married in the Philippines. I know I will need the following

Passport
Birth Certificate
Certificate of no marriage from Canadian embassy in Manila
Visa to stay more then 21 days

Is there anything else I will need? It will be a civil wedding and it will take place in Pangasinan.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
SteelAce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 3:49am
Hello bjwheeler77,

My situation is similar to yours, except that my fiancee & I are getting married this month.

Other than the items you've already mentioned, here's the info I got from the Philippines Embassy in Ottawa:

- Your birth certificate should be the long form version.  It can be obtained from the provincial government of the province you were born in.

- If you've already been married & divorced, proof of your divorce will be required.

- They also said that the Canadian Embassy might ask you to provide them with a single status declaration from the age of 16 until now from every province you've lived in (or from after your divorce until now if applicable).  This can be obtained by requesting a marriage certificate search by the province, and if none exists, they will return a letter stating that there was no marriage registered under your name during that time period.  For example, I've lived in Quebec since 1998, so I requested from the Quebec government a search for a marriage under my name since 1998, and since they found none, they sent me certified letter confirming that.  I had to do the same with the Ontario government, since I was born there and lived there until 1997.  Btw, the reason I say might in the first line of this paragraph is because the Philippines Embassy representative I spoke to only said that it could be necessary, but it all depends on the agent who serves you.  Better safe than sorry though.

Here also is the link from the website of Canada's Embassy in Manila showing the requirements to obtain the Legal Capacity for Marriage certificate:

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Edited by SteelAce - 03 Jan 2010 at 3:57am
4/30-CPC-M
6/3-Sponsor DM
6/9-Approval letter; QC Cert. app. sent
6/17-Start Manila
7/2-AOR with PP & AOM request
7/19-PP & AOM received
8/13-Approval QC Cert.
9/7-DM :))
9/16-Visa received!
bjwheeler77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 12:24am
Originally posted by SteelAce SteelAce wrote:

Hello bjwheeler77,

My situation is similar to yours, except that my fiancee & I are getting married this month.

Other than the items you've already mentioned, here's the info I got from the Philippines Embassy in Ottawa:

- Your birth certificate should be the long form version.  It can be obtained from the provincial government of the province you were born in.

- If you've already been married & divorced, proof of your divorce will be required.

- They also said that the Canadian Embassy might ask you to provide them with a single status declaration from the age of 16 until now from every province you've lived in (or from after your divorce until now if applicable).  This can be obtained by requesting a marriage certificate search by the province, and if none exists, they will return a letter stating that there was no marriage registered under your name during that time period.  For example, I've lived in Quebec since 1998, so I requested from the Quebec government a search for a marriage under my name since 1998, and since they found none, they sent me certified letter confirming that.  I had to do the same with the Ontario government, since I was born there and lived there until 1997.  Btw, the reason I say might in the first line of this paragraph is because the Philippines Embassy representative I spoke to only said that it could be necessary, but it all depends on the agent who serves you.  Better safe than sorry though.

Here also is the link from the website of Canada's Embassy in Manila showing the requirements to obtain the Legal Capacity for Marriage certificate:

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Thanks for your help I will be getting the long form birth certificate soon and as for single status declaration I will get that as well. Thanks  Smile
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 8:41am

As soon as possible after arriving in the Philippines go to city hall of whatever city you are in and apply for the marriage license.

You will need all the things mentioned above to apply for the license.
It takes at least 10 days waiting period before it is issued.
Some cities require a pre-marital seminar.

You should also consider bringing all the CIC Spousal Immigration forms with you. This way you and your spouse can fill them them all out together while you are there. It should make it easier.
Ask your fiance to try to schedule her medical with the closest DMP. Get the appointment after getting married and just before you leave.
Your fiance should also request her CENOMAR from the Philippines NSO. Might be best to make this request a month before you arrive as it can take time to get this document.  She should also get her police check with thumb print done but this can be while you are there as it only take a few days, sometimes a few weeks.

Where in the Philippines are you getting married? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by rbenoit rbenoit wrote:

As soon as possible after arriving in the Philippines go to city hall of whatever city you are in and apply for the marriage license.

You will need all the things mentioned above to apply for the license.
It takes at least 10 days waiting period before it is issued.
Some cities require a pre-marital seminar.

You should also consider bringing all the CIC Spousal Immigration forms with you. This way you and your spouse can fill them them all out together while you are there. It should make it easier.
Ask your fiance to try to schedule her medical with the closest DMP. Get the appointment after getting married and just before you leave.
Your fiance should also request her CENOMAR from the Philippines NSO. Might be best to make this request a month before you arrive as it can take time to get this document.  She should also get her police check with thumb print done but this can be while you are there as it only take a few days, sometimes a few weeks.

Where in the Philippines are you getting married? 

I am going to get married in the city ofMalasiqui in the province of Pangasinan. As for the information thanks for you help it is greatly appreciated.

Edited by bjwheeler77 - 07 Jan 2010 at 12:21am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:22am
Does anyone else have something they think I should know about getting married in the Philippines that's not listed above?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:16am
anyone else got anything to add?
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 8:51am
I got married in the Philippines.
Everything listed should pretty much cover it all.
Will you be going to Boracay for your honeymoon.
I would strongly suggest that if you do look for a place on the main beach.
Station 1, Station 2 or Station 3.

Stay away from Panoly Resort. Its quite a distance from the main beach. It may have been nice in its prime but it was fairly run down when we stayed there.
Royal Park Hotel is at Station 1. Not so pricey and was comfortable enough when we stayed here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjwheeler77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by rbenoit rbenoit wrote:

I got married in the Philippines.
Everything listed should pretty much cover it all.
Will you be going to Boracay for your honeymoon.
I would strongly suggest that if you do look for a place on the main beach.
Station 1, Station 2 or Station 3.

Stay away from Panoly Resort. Its quite a distance from the main beach. It may have been nice in its prime but it was fairly run down when we stayed there.
Royal Park Hotel is at Station 1. Not so pricey and was comfortable enough when we stayed here.

Thanks we are not sure yet about our honeymoon but I'll keep that in mind :)
SteelAce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:40pm
Hello again bjwheeler77,

I just got back from the Phils on Monday (as a married man.. hehe).

As a follow up to my previous post, and after now having gone through the process, I can now provide some further details regarding the 'Legal Capacity to Marry' document which must be obtained from the Canadian embassy in Manila.

Contrary to what I was told by the Philippines embassy in Ottawa, the Canadian embassy in Manila did not ask for or even mention the provincial 'single status declarations' when I applied for the 'Legal Capacity to Marry' document.  In fact, the waiting time to see the embassy rep was longer than the time it took to actually get the document.. hehe.  We waited approx. 20min in the embassy lobby, and once our number was called, it only took about 5min to process the document.  They only asked for my original birth certificate, passport, and the fee of Php 2,150.  They also asked that I fill out a quick form in the lobby while waiting, which ended up being the basis for the 'Legal Capacity' document.  So basically it was a breeze.

After that, my wife & I went to her city hall (in Taguig) and applied for the marriage license.  The waiting time was 10 calender days (not 10 business days).  For a civil wedding, in case you're not willing to pay a bribe to the judge, it would be good to schedule it as soon as possible because there could be a considerable waiting time to get an appointment for the ceremony.  We opted to pay the judge's office an additional fee so that they could perform the ceremony before I came back to Canada (1 day after the release of the marriage license).

Hope this helps & good luck.

4/30-CPC-M
6/3-Sponsor DM
6/9-Approval letter; QC Cert. app. sent
6/17-Start Manila
7/2-AOR with PP & AOM request
7/19-PP & AOM received
8/13-Approval QC Cert.
9/7-DM :))
9/16-Visa received!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic