Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing from Work Visa to Visitor Status

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jclu09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing from Work Visa to Visitor Status
    Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:10pm
My wife and I are Australians in Vancouver. I am currently in the final month of a 2-year Work Visa and my wife has a valid Work Visa until 2013.

Due to the requirement for 2 years full-time work under "Canadian Experience Class" we're unable to lodge an application for Perm Residency until mid-May.  However, my current Work Visa expires 1-month prior in mid-April.

I'd like to remain in Canada with my wife as a Visitor only until our Perm Residency Application has been processed. (We've been told between 3-6 months from lodgement). This would require me to change my status from Work Visa to Visitor.

1.  Does anyone know the process of changing status from a Work Visa to a Visitor Visa? 

2.  Being in Vancouver, is it as simple as crossing the U.S. border, and then re-entering Canada as Australian visitors on a 3-month Visitor Visa?

3.  Is there a requirement to have been outside of Canada for a certain period of time before re-entering?

Edited by jclu09 - 21 Mar 2011 at 2:11pm
visitor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote visitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 8:41pm
If your wife's occupation is high skilled why do not you apply for an Open Work Permit?

Otherwise, you can simply cross the U.S. border and the re-enter as Australian visitor. Make sure that you have enough financial funds to maintain yourself in Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic