Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extension request?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UltimaGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extension request?
    Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 5:00pm
What are valid reasons to put for wanting to stay longer?

My partner would like to stay longer so that we may marry and we are going to submit an inland application.

Should we mention our intentions on marrying and the date we would like to do so?

Like what do people in this type of situation put down and find that it is acceptable or easily approved by CIC?

We just don't want mess up any chances of my partner's extension getting accepted.
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 5:48pm
Look up dual intent in the OP11 guide.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf
Section 5.4

Edited by redeagle - 02 Jan 2010 at 5:51pm
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
UltimaGrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UltimaGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 5:57pm
Does it matter what date you put the extension request for?
I mean if they think you asked for too much can will they lessen it or just flat out refuse it because you asked for too much time?
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:08pm
They can flat out refuse it if they feel someone would not leave Canada at the end of their stay. I would go for 6 months. If you have a date to be married then I would sugest letting them know this, say you plan to marry in 2 months, your application goes in now then you would be married by the time the application for extension was dealt with.
Personally, I would apply common-law if possible and then update them of your marriage when it takes place.
Although it could be difficult to prove a common law relationship in somecases look at it like this; If your evidence is limited when you applied common law then you informed them that you had married, though for immigration you had no need to do so, this would probably strengthen the application as it shows you were already in the process of the application but your relationship is so genuine that you actually chose to marry for no needed reason over than love   
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:14pm
Also remember that by applying common law now would cut the time, inland you are already going to have to wait 5-6 months until they even open your application, By applying now and informing later (which is not going to cost you any extra) it could be over and done with months before you applied after marriage.
UltimaGrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UltimaGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:32pm
Like my partner was going to ask for six months from the time we expect to have an answer back on her extension?

Do you think that will be okay?
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:59pm
I think for full disclosure that you really should advise that I'm 99.9% sure that your partner is ColourMePanda.
It's hard to get correct & truthful answers when only parts of a question/story are given.
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 7:05pm
If they are going to give 6 months they probably will give it from the date they stamp it. But beware, do not get your hopes up too high, if an extension has already been given. Being refused can come as a disapointment and an immigration officer is going to ask themselves, what is the purpose of this?
Think about it, you apply for what I am thinking is a second extension, extension after extension leaves open the question of does the applicant intend to go back home after the extension is given?
The whole issue surrounding any visitor status is that the applicant will return to their home country.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic