Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CBSA - ICES - Traveler and Highway Passage Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CBSA - ICES - Traveler and Highway Passage Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CBSA - ICES - Traveler and Highway Passage Report
    Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:42am
Hi,

Thanks to pzb for his post on CBSA (link mentioned below). It was very helpful to get records from CBSA.

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1545&title=success-cbsa-travel-records-request

My experience in this regard.

I was not sure of all my trips outside of Canada. So, I decided to get the CBSA Traveler History report to be sure of all trips before submitting the Citizenship application. Luckily, a trip I missed to remember happened to be a day trip to US and hence no need to mention that in the Residency Calculator I guess.

1. Submitted a written letter (using  Pzb's template) along with the Privacy Act form (link below) via FAX :-  613-957-6408 

Privacy Act Form:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-priv-eng.html

2. Submitted the request on Feb 15 via Fax. Report was sent via Canada post on Mar 1 from Ottawa. Received it in Vancouver on Mar 10.

3. Requested a) Traveler History  b) Vehicle Crossing Report as well.

a. In the ICES Traveller History - Traveller Passage Report

Except for one of my road trips none of my border crossings from US via road were recorded.

All my flight travels in to Vancouver from US/International arrival were captured.

I guess, the reason for one of the road trip appearing in the ICES traveler history is that during this trip I had to go in to the CBSA office at the border to pay for duty/tax.

b. In the ICES Traveller History - Highway Passage Report

All my road trips via Car were recorded in this report. This report only shows "Car Licence No." and "date/time of entry" and does not show any personal info. like my Passport #, PR Card # etc.
===============

The biggest omission is my permanent return to Canada when I relocated from US via road in Dec 2007. I became PR in Aug 2007 and returned to US. Came back Dec 2007 using PR card and hence no entry I guess.

I was confused with this omission and one of the day trips being noted as more than "48hrs" trip. I called the CBSA agent assigned to my file. The agent was very nice and very helpful. Even though the agent was not able to answer all my questions - like even though PR card/Passport was scanned at the border while entering but the trip not appearing in ICES Traveller Passage Report.

Not sure how these systems record the entry/exit in to Canada. In any case, the agent suggested me to submit additional documentation to query my missing trip (Details of the Car that I imported during my return to Canada in Dec 2007) and to correct the day trip wrongly recorded in the Highway passage report. I need to submit two separate requests  i) to get the entry in to Canada during Dec 2007  ii) to correct the wrong entry (Same day trip recorded in the 48hr column) in the Highway Passage report.

In any case, even though this process delayed my application submission it gives some comfort that I did not miss major trips outside Canada.

Thanks very much.
fenggubaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenggubaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 8:41pm
thanks
ottawa321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottawa321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 3:57am
All of it is  posted in RQ post, no need to open a new topic please.Thanks

Edited by ottawa321 - 28 Jul 2011 at 3:58am
chemgal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:13pm
Sivan: did you also attach copies of your passport pages and PR card when you faxed the request?

Please let me know as I am planning to fax my request in the next day or so. Thanks!
sivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by chemgal chemgal wrote:

Sivan: did you also attach copies of your passport pages and PR card when you faxed the request?

Please let me know as I am planning to fax my request in the next day or so. Thanks!

Hi Chemgal,

When I submitted, I was not sure if photocopy proof was required or not.  However, I attached photocopies of the following with the assumption that it doesn't hurt to add additional information:

1. Passport Identification Pages
2. PR Card 
3. My Car Registration Paper (to get Highway Passage Report - aka Road Trips)

I wrote a letter as mentioned in "pzb's post" and also sent the "Privacy Act form " - TBS/SCT 350-58 - link mentioned above). 

PS: I guess the "form" is not required when you submit the request in writing but as it was my first time going through this process I filled the form as well!

Vancouver: Sent:Mar 24,2011|Received:Mar29|Ecas:Apr26|Letter:Apr18|In Process: Jan 25, 2012|Test:Mar 27, 2012|Oath: June 08, 2012
chemgal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:32pm
Thanks a bunch Sivan. I will do as you suggest and not send the additional form. 

I noticed I was missing one of my entry stamps into Canada (which in my opinion is weird as I am on a foreign passport and was travelling by plane) so I am hoping to have proof of that entry for whenever my test is.
eli View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:13pm
interesting that the road trips are not recorded (unless vehicle info in a highway), and in other cases there might be mistakes. 
sivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:27am
Originally posted by chemgal chemgal wrote:

Thanks a bunch Sivan. I will do as you suggest and not send the additional form. 

I noticed I was missing one of my entry stamps into Canada (which in my opinion is weird as I am on a foreign passport and was travelling by plane) so I am hoping to have proof of that entry for whenever my test is.

Hi Chemgal,

I thought entry in to Canada via air is always stamped during the Immigration interview before exiting to baggage collection/customs. Looks like mistakes can happen there as well or may be it's not a standard. Hopefully, your air trip will show up in the ICES Passenger report. 

In my case, all my air trips were correctly recorded in ICES Passenger report. But, not all the road trips were recorded (only one road trip in 2010 out of 5 trips since 2008) . That's why I decided to get ICES Highway report even though it does not prove that I am the driver/passenger of the car that crossed in to Canada. 

Highway passenger report just states date/time, car details and "Canadian Passenger Count" and how long "Canadian Passengers" are away from Canada (based on oral declaration by the traveler at POE which is manually entered by the POE officer). For example, if I go with my friend across the border to US and come back to Canada in his car, with his written approval I will be able to get the ICES Highway report for his Car. But, there is no way to prove that I was also one of the Canadian passengers listed in the Canadian Passenger Count in the report. If I remember correctly, the Highway report is searched based on vehicle "Plate/Province" details and there are no traveler identity details (Passport, PR card # etc) in this report. If it comes to it, hopefully I can convince CIC by mapping my road trips via US CBP report vs. CBSA ICES Highway report. US CBP report is one single report which clearly captures all details for all modes of travel.

One another experience I had when I traveled from Seattle to Vancouver via "Amtrack Cascades" Rail is that, CBSA officer at Vancouver Train Station (POE) did not stamp in my passport. 
I requested if he could stamp my date of entry in the passport as it would help to corroborate my absence from Canada (with regards to my pending Citizenship application) by matching my exit stamp (US CBP stamp) with entry to Canada stamp . Luckily, CBSA officer acknowledged my request and stamped my entry date to Canada. If I had known that they do entertain such requests, I would have asked for entry stamp every time I came in to Canada by car/land POE. However, CBSA officers at land POE may not entertain these requests as they have very limited processing time per vehicle.
Vancouver: Sent:Mar 24,2011|Received:Mar29|Ecas:Apr26|Letter:Apr18|In Process: Jan 25, 2012|Test:Mar 27, 2012|Oath: June 08, 2012
chemgal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:48am
Sivan: I was surprised too when I noticed the stamp missing. Anticipating a test within 3-4 months, I thought I would compile a list of trips and note down the pages that the entry/exit stamps are on for future reference and that is when I noticed that I had all stamps for air travel except this one. I do think it was just a mistake on their part and hope it shows up on the CBSA document, otherwise I have no way of proving when I returned to Canada.

I also have one land crossing which I have no stamps for, as I walked through the border post. However, I still have the boarding passes for my flights to and from Windsor so I hope that will be enough to prove that. I doubt I can get proof of this crossing from any other source.

Thanks again for the information.
billinma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billinma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 2:17pm
Hi guys, knowing this is an old thread, wonder where on official site shows no fees to charge for requesting travel history report? Instead I found that it asks for 5 bucks processing fee from link below http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-info-eng.html. not sure if policy changed? anyone?
8.17 2011 application; 3.1 2012 in process; 4.4 2012 case transfered to Mississauga; 2.8.2013 test; 3.5 Oath
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic