Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oath ceremony dates 2011 please help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sai893 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oath ceremony dates 2011 please help!
    Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:56pm
Hi! I took my test on August 30, 2010 Sudbury office and  passed the test. Its March 2011 now I still didn't get any letter or phone call from CIC about my Oath ceremony, I saw a couple of guys here took there exam this year and they already have their dates for Oath ceremonies. I checked my E-CAS daily,but still the same from the day I passed my exam,no updates at all.

Is this normal for CIC to make this much of a delay?

my time line
application received: June 8, 2009. 
started processing: March 29, 2010
file transferred to the Sudbury: May 12, 2010
they send me a notice to appear for citizenship test: July 28, 2010
citizenship test date: August 30,2010

any help will do, advice, info.. 
maeke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 5:56pm
hello Sai893
I'm of course not a part of CIC , and I know more about Montreal timeline , but I would say that kind of delay is definetely not normal! My immediate advice would be :
- 1) Call CIC ASAP and tell them precisely what is on there, that you passed the exam in August and had no news from them since ! It's now more than 6 months !
- 2) Apply and Request your GCMS notes ! Those will tell you precisely what has been on your file since exam date ! It takes them 31 days to send those to you
sai893 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sai893 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:10pm
Thanks for the reply maeke
I already call CIC a couple of times. One guy told me my oath should be very soon, I called again the next day cause I wasnt convince with his answers. Then an agent told me that you have to wait for 8 months after the test for an oath. But in their website CIC, it said six months after the test.

Whats a GCMS notes. I'm not good with their terms here,.. again thanks for your sincere answer
maeke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:20am
Sai893

GCMS notes will give you everything that is on your file, stuff like :
- The results of your test
- what the officer wrote down in the test interview
- when it was forwarded to the judge, ....
Usually, people request them when the delays seem abnormal, as it is the case here with you.

Another reason may also be that your background chek period came to an end soon after your exam. In that case, CIC is required to conduct another background chek before moving on, and that can take time ( done by RCMP )
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 12:39pm
My impression is that Sudbury is one of those offices where the oath ceremony is not held very often, so if the continued processing of your file (which might include the background check or such) after the test missed the next coming oath date it could be a long while before there is another. Actually I worry about this for where I live, since it is relatively remote (more remote than Sudbury by far ... and, actually, Sudbury may indeed be the closest office for this area, which is not to say "closest" with any sense of proximity at all).

Does not hurt to obtain the GCMS notes, and if what I suspect is true I wonder why a CIC officer has not said so much when you have inquired by telephone, but ... well, there in the online oath ceremony search function, there are none on the schedule for Sudbury.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sai893 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sai893 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 3:59pm
Thank you for your replies it really helped!

dpenabill about their online schedule I saw a couple of forums from different websites,
I cant remember what the site was. He said that the website doesn't have a schedule for an oath for his city, but when he went to his local CIC office they game him the schedule for his Oath.

I'll ask them for GCMS thank you for your answers guys. 
rc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 12:37am
Dpenabill, do you think the original poster should trying to go to the local office and inquiring there? I think most small offices don't mind people coming in, in such situations to enquire. I have read people here going to their local offices and the office telling them their status. Your thoughts please. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:36am
Perhaps. I do not know. Probably cannot hurt.

We have a local CIC office in this city, but it is indeed small and I don't know to what extent, if any, they process citizenship applications (I think they are processed elsewhere ... like I said, I think I once saw that it was Sudbury even though that is a long, long way from here). While their hours are not regular (not full time), I have known of others (who had issues with work permits for example) simply walking in (unless and until they give you a local phone number there is no way to look it up) related to other immigration matters.

Once in awhile, though quite rarely, I will notice that special oath ceremonies are held in this city, but ... well I am quite a ways from this myself still so I do not know yet. I hope I do not have to travel over a thousand km for the interview (too old for the test) or to take the oath ... but we will see, eventually.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
ricardo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:18pm
Hi Sai893,

I am in similar situation as you are. I live in Sudbury and took the citizenship test in late November.
I received two phone calls from citizenship office asking my past addresses.
But no decision is made so far.
How about you? Did you get any letter from them or any update?

sai893 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sai893 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 7:04am
Ricadrdo4
I did not get any updates! not even a phone call! nothing at all!!Do you know how many times a year they hold an  Oath Ceremony in Sudbury?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic