Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inland? But how?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tondox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland? But how?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:34am
Hi all, I will be going to Nairobi Kenya (am a citizen there and a PR here) to get married and then sponsor my husband. After checking processing times, Inland seems shorter (19 months) than Outland (30 months and 2 weeks. My question is, how does inland work? How can he get to Canada while the papers are being processed and in that case, where do I submit my application? thanks!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:53am
Bottomline: If he is now outside Canada, an out-of-Canada application is the route that is available.

At this stage (with some exceptions, but not for most people who are a national of Kenya or most other nations in Africa), he is not likely to get authority to enter Canada unless and until he gets the PR visa itself.

I do not know much about actual timelines for visa offices in Africa, but I believe the CIC posted timeline is skewed because it is based on how long it takes for 80 percent of the applications to get processed. That includes a large number of applications which are poorly done, for applicants with borderline eligibility, and for many applicants with admissibility issues. So if you submit a well-done, thorough, fully documented application, and the relationship is issue-free, and the applicant does not have admissibility issues, I suspect the time line is not as along as that which CIC has posted.

About trying to get him to Canada and doing an inland application:

Foremost, the inland application is for sponsored applicants already in Canada, already living with their sponsoring partner IN CANADA. No way to begin that process from abroad.

How does a FN (foreign national) get into Canada in the first place in order to be in Canada and living with the sponsoring partner in Canada?

Welll, how did you initially come to Canada? You must know something about how to obtain entry into Canada.

Beyond that, though, if the intent is to come to Canada to stay pending an application for Permanent Residence, that intent needs to be disclosed to Canadian CBSA (border control officers) at the POE, and/or to CIC if a formal application for visa is made in advance. And, well, unfortunately, that factor will make the difficulty of obtaining a visa to come to Canada much more difficult.

Generally the odds of most nationals from Kenya getting a visitor's visa to Canada are not good. Depending of course on the individual, but for the average person from Kenya, probably not good. A person from Kenya who is in a committed relationship with a Canadian will have even more difficulty because the relationship evidences a probable intent to stay.

Best to simply get prepared to do an out of Canada application and do it as well, as thoroughly, as accurately as you can.

Edited by dpenabill - 27 Feb 2011 at 8:53am
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Tondox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tondox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:02pm
Dpenabill thanks for your thorough answer. I came as a student, I had to show a lot of financial proof etc. My husband to be is in Kenya right now and it looks like outland, with a "complete" application, evidence etc is the better way to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic