Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Filing PR in Canada for Wife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck&USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filing PR in Canada for Wife
    Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:14pm
Good afternoon everyone,

My wife - an American - just got married and she is planning to move up here. We are aware of the 6 month limit that exists, but can I file her sponsorship/PR paperwork while she is up here or does she have be still living in her home country (in her case the states)?

PS. We are still waiting for her required background check.

Thanks,
Richard

destanova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote destanova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:18pm
Yes, you are able to file while she is here with you in Canada. That really is the intent for the visitor's record. However, she cannot "move" up here, per se. She is able to visit, for the 6 months, like you mentioned. She will have to maintain provable 'ties to the US'.

I'm a wife from the US that is currently in Canada on a visitor's record, as well. Also in the Toronto area, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my experiences thus far.
22Nov10 Mailed out FBI req
19Jan11 FBI Certificate recvd
24Jan11 Medical completed
11Feb11 Application recvd @ Mississauga
10Mar11 Decision Made
10Mar11 Sent to Buffalo
24Mar11 Buffalo rcvd
Canuck&USA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck&USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by destanova destanova wrote:

Yes, you are able to file while she is here with you in Canada. That really is the intent for the visitor's record. However, she cannot "move" up here, per se. She is able to visit, for the 6 months, like you mentioned. She will have to maintain provable 'ties to the US'.

I'm a wife from the US that is currently in Canada on a visitor's record, as well. Also in the Toronto area, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my experiences thus far.

Thank you for your quick response. She does have provable ties to the US she still has property in the USA. When he comes to "visit" can she bring her furniture? In other words would deny entry in the country if we come across the border with a U-Haul?
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:04pm
Coming with all her furniture definitely makes it seem as though she's moving, not visiting.

I highly suggest waiting to move the furniture until she gets PR, if you can. Try to just bring the clothes and such she'll need for a 6 month stay. Go back for the rest later

The processing time for Americans is really quick so you should be able to return for the stuff shortly.
francohoosier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francohoosier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:54pm
As another American who had a visitor record (now I have a work permit), I HIGHLY advise against bringing more than the bare basics while she visits - based on personal experience. 

When I first tried to come up, I brought a lot of stuff, including 2 small furniture items, and we were not allowed to enter. Luckily we pulled some strings with the help of my now-husband's family, but it was a really traumatic experience and I still have nightmares about customs because of it. 

So long story short, DON'T bring more than you absolutely need. 
1/31/11: App sent to CPC-M
2/11/11: App rec'vd
3/10/11: Decision made, sent to Buffalo
3/21/11: CSQ app sent to MICC
3/24/11: Buffalo rec'vd
4/5/11: CSQ issued
7/13/11: AOR (forced after inquiry)
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Canuck&USA Canuck&USA wrote:

When he comes to "visit" can she bring her furniture? In other words would deny entry in the country if we come across the border with a U-Haul?

Not a good idea to show up with a U-Haul if coming to Canada as a "visitor". That may be a sure refusal to enter.
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 5:58pm
It can get someone excluded from Canada for a period of up to two years - or, if you really pi$$ them off, they can even ban her for trying to move to Canada without permanent status.  Don't mess with those people.

Read through the information at the US2Canada website - under the Visiting tab, following the links to Visitor Record.  She will not be able to work, go to school or have healthcare until her PR is finalized, but she will be able to apply to extend her status from within Canada based on the PR ap in process if it's not finalized by the time her VR is due to expire.

Edited by RobsLuv - 15 Feb 2011 at 6:00pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck&USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:16pm
Hi Francohoosier,

Thanks for this information. My wife is only going to bring her clothes, cats, and computer. 

Now her mother, is going to be driving her up do I need to be in the car with them as they cross the border?

Once she is here and her sponsorship paperwork is in process can she then go back and bring furniture to Toronto a couple of months later?

Also, is there any issue with her going back and forth to work? For instance can travel to Buffalo or NIagara Falls and work for a couple of days a week and return home each night?

Thanks,
Richard
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Canuck&USA Canuck&USA wrote:

Once she is here and her sponsorship paperwork is in process can she then go back and bring furniture to Toronto a couple of months later?

The rule of thumb against bringing anything but the clothes on your back into Canada applies to ANYONE not coming in as a PR. So yes, showing up with a U-Haul on a visitor's permit (despite the fact that a PR application is in process) is still a no no, from my point of view. A further twist to it I think will be the fact that once a PR application is in process, the officers issuing the temporary visitor permit will have a tendency to NOT issue visitor's permits if they get wind of the PR application in process. My two cents.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck&USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:45am
Good morning all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance. It is much appreciated.

Just one other question looking at the "Application for PR in Canada" there is a box that asks:

"Visa Office requested for the process of your application" - what does that mean and which one should she put down, if she is in the USA, but visiting Canada?

Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic