Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 2011 Applicants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February 2011 Applicants
    Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:47pm
Great news! I got the Confirmation of Permanent Residence today! We're going to go near the end of June.

One question: The wording on the "proof of sufficient funds for settlement" is unclear. My wife lives with me in the US and we'll be going together. I remember reading on the website that the financial requirement is waived for people in our situation. However, this document says people sponsored by a relative IN Canada don't have to provide proof.

My wife's sponsorship stuff was already approved. Does anyone know if they'll want to see proof of funds in our situation?
tmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:57am
Thanks, guys! My experience with border crossing is similar to dpenabill's, with the US entry being more difficult and obnoxious. They just make you feel so welcome coming back to the US! Haha.

Getting my photos/passport stuff ready to mail in today. I wonder how long it'll be until the Certificate of Permanent Residence arrives. Getting nervous and excited now!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:33am

These days, ditto, to board an international flight (even from New York State in the U.S. to Toronto in Canada) on a commercial carrier, most likely (w/ v. rare exceptions) the passenger must display a valid passport.

Travel by ground from the U.S. to Canada is somewhat different. There are alternative forms of identification, for example, that Canadians and Americans can present at the border.

However, it matters (at least some) who is seeking entry to which country. A Canadian citizen is entitled to enter Canada . . . they should have and present currently valid, apropriate travel documents, preferrably a currently valid passport but other specified identification will suffice, but mostly they need to establish identity and citizenship (identity plus birth in Canada suffices) and that will work . . . may mean a referral to secondary at the POE, but it should be no big deal.

In the past, an expired passport, so long as it is not a cancelled one, would suffice at a land crossing POE as sufficient proof of identity and status. It is, after all, still documentation evidencing identity and nationality. I am not sure of how acceptable that is today but it should still suffice, albeit one may have to sit in secondary awhile while they sort things out and confirm the individual's identity.

Even without one of the specified forms of identification, once a Canadian citizen appears at a POE the only question is one of identity (status often, if not largely being tied to identity) and so long as identity is established, entry should follow . . . although, again, a referral to secondary and some scrutiny to assure identity, and status, may be part of the process at the POE. No big deal. Remain calm. Be polite. Be patient. Fortunately the Canadian side officers at the POE are usually reasonable and not confrontational (OK, there are reports of exceptions, but in around a hundred or so crossings I never encountered the exception, even when eavesdropping on others there, which I am wont to do), so anyone who is really a Canadian citizen should encounter, at worst, a brief delay and a few questions at the POE, and then be allowed to proceed on their way. (Not at all as antognistic as the U.S. entry oft times is, even for U.S. citizens simply returning "home.")

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:22pm
Hi

Originally posted by tmason tmason wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I have a few other questions that I would love hearing your guys' experience with:
1) I am from the US and my wife is Canadian. Is there any reason she'll need a passport when we go to Canada? Her passport has expired.
2) Any advice on exchanging money from USD to CAN?

She has to prove her citizenship (a birth certificate would do it) but it is unlikely an airline would carry her without a passport these days. so it would have to be a land border.
PMM
tmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:18pm
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I have a few other questions that I would love hearing your guys' experience with:

1) I am from the US and my wife is Canadian. Is there any reason she'll need a passport when we go to Canada? Her passport has expired.

2) Any advice on exchanging money from USD to CAN?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 6:26pm
Hi

Originally posted by tmason tmason wrote:

I received a passport request letter today! It says :
"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada.  We are now in a position to finalise your application.

<p ="p1"> <span ="s1">Within the next 90 days</span> please submit your passport(s) <span ="s1">or</span> a photocopy of <span ="s1">all passport pages</span> for you and your accompanying family members. 

<p ="p1">We also require two (2) recent photographs of yourself and each accompanying family member."

<p ="p1">

<p ="p1">Can anyone clarify if this means they need a passport for my wife, who is the Canadian citizen/sponsor? She has one but it's expired, and I think I sent copies of that in our initial application.

No, they don't require copies of her passport, she isn't getting the COPR.
PMM
tmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 4:11pm
I received a passport request letter today! It says :

"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada.  We are now in a position to finalise your application.

Within the next 90 days please submit your passport(s) or a photocopy of all passport pages for you and your accompanying family members. 

We also require two (2) recent photographs of yourself and each accompanying family member."

Can anyone clarify if this means they need a passport for my wife, who is the Canadian citizen/sponsor? She has one but it's expired, and I think I sent copies of that in our initial application.

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 6:35pm
HI

Originally posted by FilipinoCDN FilipinoCDN wrote:

Great News Today! My wife received this email with a PPR! We have 30 days to send in her passport but before the end of Sept she should be able to land!

<blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr"><blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr">
<span style='font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-: EN-CA; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA;'><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Dear Applicant:

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font face="Times New Roman">This refers to your application for permanent residence in <?: prefix = u1 /><u1:country-region><u1:place>Canada</u1:place></u1:country-region>.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>We are now in a position to request your
passports for visa issuance.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><o:p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Please submit your passport(s) within the next 30
days.  The issuance of your visa(s) is time sensitive so it is important
for you to submit your passport(s) as requested.   Please note,
though your passport(s) is/are due at our office within the next 30 days, you
must check your documents upon receipt.  There will be a validity date
indicated, and the landing must take place on or before that date.  The
visas cannot be extended. If you are not prepared to live permanently in Canada
immediately after landing, please consult the website regarding residency
requirements in order to ensure that you retain your status in Canada.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> 

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style="mso-ansi-: FR-CA;" lang="FR-CA"><font face="Times New Roman">We require
two (2) recent photographs of yourself and each accompanying family member.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><o:p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">DO NOT REPLY TO THIS
MESSAGE.

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> 

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><font face="Times New Roman">FOLLOW THE LINKS
BELOW FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE:<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style="color: rgb96, 100, 32;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Passport requirements</span><o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><o:p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </o:p>

<blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr"><blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr"><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" dir="ltr" ="Msonormal"><span style="color: rgb96, 100, 32; text-decoration: none; text-underline: none;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Photographs,
height and eye colour
</span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style="color: rgb96, 100, 32;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Instructions for passport submission</span><o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style="color: rgb96, 100, 32;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Important notice for family members</span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style="mso-ansi-: FR-CA;" lang="FR-CA"><font face="Times New Roman">Immigration
Section/Section de l'immigration<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style="mso-ansi-: FR-CA;" lang="FR-CA"><font face="Times New Roman">Consulate
General of Canada<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font face="Times New Roman">Consulat général du <u1:country-region><u1:place>Canada</u1:place></u1:country-region><o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font face="Times New Roman"><u1:place><u1:city>Buffalo</u1:city>, <u1:state>New York</u1:state></u1:place><span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" dir="ltr" ="Msonormal"><o:p><font size="3" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">One questions from anyone that can help....f</o:p><o:p><font size="3" face="Arial">or the validity period, how long is that window after the passport is mailed back to us? I.e. how long does she have to land after she received a stamped passport with the visa?</o:p>

<blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr"><blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr">

</span>

1. 12 months from the date of the medical or expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.
PMM
FilipinoCDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FilipinoCDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:12pm
Great News Today! My wife received this email with a PPR! We have 30 days to send in her passport but before the end of Sept she should be able to land!

Dear Applicant:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada.  We are now in a position to request your passports for visa issuance. 

Please submit your passport(s) within the next 30 days.  The issuance of your visa(s) is time sensitive so it is important for you to submit your passport(s) as requested.   Please note, though your passport(s) is/are due at our office within the next 30 days, you must check your documents upon receipt.  There will be a validity date indicated, and the landing must take place on or before that date.  The visas cannot be extended. If you are not prepared to live permanently in Canada immediately after landing, please consult the website regarding residency requirements in order to ensure that you retain your status in Canada.

We require two (2) recent photographs of yourself and each accompanying family member.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

FOLLOW THE LINKS BELOW FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE:

Passport requirements

Photographs, height and eye colour

Instructions for passport submission

Important notice for family members

Immigration Section/Section de l'immigration

Consulate General of Canada

Consulat général du Canada

Buffalo, New York 

One questions from anyone that can help....for the validity period, how long is that window after the passport is mailed back to us? I.e. how long does she have to land after she received a stamped passport with the visa?

21/02/11 - Sent App to CPC-M
24/02/11 – App Rec’d
24/03/11 – Sponsor Approved
29/07/11 – Buffalo Processing
? – Decision Made
? – PPR
? – COPR/PP in hand
? – Landed
? – PR Card Rec’
destanova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote destanova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 5:39pm
Congratulations on the end of a long journey, kueball! All the best to you and your wife!
22Nov10 Mailed out FBI req
19Jan11 FBI Certificate recvd
24Jan11 Medical completed
11Feb11 Application recvd @ Mississauga
10Mar11 Decision Made
10Mar11 Sent to Buffalo
24Mar11 Buffalo rcvd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic