Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How does employer know when implied status ends?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How does employer know when implied status ends?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote possum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does employer know when implied status ends?
    Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:04pm
Hello,

So my situation is that I had a valid work permit and applied for an extension before it expired and am now working on implied status. My extension is not going to get approved, I'm just using it to buy time until a new working holiday visa is approved. So, should my new visa not be grated in time before my implied status ends, how do they notify my employer? Do I just show up one day and find out I no longer have a job? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

-Brian
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:46pm
There are two aspects to this:

First, on getting paid. Depends on your SIN card, which should have expired with your work permit. It takes a few months for the SIN expiry to kick in, but many more months until your employer is red flagged for using an expired SIN. So, in conclusion, the employer is not really updated on your immigration status except by yourself. If and when they do find out, it is usually way after the fact.

Second, the responsibility lays with you to inform your employer ASAP about your end in your work permit status. If you were given a rejection to your work permit there typically is no "implied status" and you are required to leave Canada immediately. Ofcourse, you may look the other way and try to wring as much as possible from your employer (they would still keep paying you). But that would make it illegal and basically put at risk all your future dealings with CIC. Should they ever find out that you continued to work after your permit to renew was turned down, or should they every suspect that you were aware of your pending rejection, everything from there on will be downhill for you with respect to CIC. For eg., a misrepresentation or illegal stay would disqualify you from applying for a new permit or residency in the future.

My two cents, be as honest with your employer and just follow the rules (that is if you still have intentions of dealing with CIC in the future).

Edited by MajidS - 01 Mar 2011 at 5:48pm
possum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote possum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:09pm
Thank you very much! That's exactly what we needed to know. We don't plan on working past the denial letter, just wondering how they went about it.

Thanks again!

-Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic