Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How long does the PR card take after Landing??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpausuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long does the PR card take after Landing??
    Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 5:19pm
Hi,

How long does the actual PR card take after landing and can we travel outside Canada while waiting for the PR card and return on the old COPR already stamped in the passport? I am an Indian national, wanting to travel back to India for a short break :) Did the landing on Dec 28, and planning trip in March, so wondering if I am taking a safe risk or not!

Thanks for guidance...
Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:18pm
When I landed in Canada on October 29th the IO at the border told me PR cards were on a backlog for 3 months, however I received my card in the mail by the first week of December. You may get it by March, but its cutting it close. 
About the traveling with the COPR I'm not sure if you can do that or not. On my COPR it said it wasn't valid for travel, but maybe a senior member can help you on that! :)
Spousal Outland (Buffalo)
App Rcvd: 7/19/10
Sponsor Approved: 8/20/10
Buffalo Processing: 9/7/10
Decision Made: 9/28/10
PPR: 9/30/10
COPR and PP in hand 10/12/10
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
Rinnerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinnerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:58pm
From what I've seen, most people who have landed recently have said the IO told them it would take "about 30 business days" to receive their PR card, and that's usually the case.

As far as I know, you won't be able to travel back into Canada with the COPR. This is what the official website for the Canadian High Commission in India says:

All permanent residents who are outside of Canada must be in possession of a valid Permanent Resident Card to return to Canada.

If you do not have a valid Permanent Resident Card, or if you have not been physically present in Canada for two years (730 days) out of the last five years, you will need to obtain a Travel Document in order to return to Canada.

If you don't have your PR card by the time you leave for your trip, you will have only 2 options:

1) If the PR card arrives at your Canadian address while you're out of the country, you could have someone you trust send it to you by courier. This way, you'll have it on you when you return to Canada. Most people do this if they need to leave the country but haven't received their PR card in time.

OR

2) While you're in India, apply for a "travel document" (that's exactly what it's called). You'd have to fill out an application, pay a fee, and have your passport and anything else you can provide to prove you are a PR. Some embassies process these the same day you apply, some have waiting times. Some require an interview, some don't. There's usually no real way to know for sure without contacting them yourself.

Information about obtaining a travel document while in India: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/india-inde/visas/pr_return-retour_rp.aspx?lang=eng#Travel_Doc

Their current processing times link says it would take 5 business days to get an initial response from them if you applied for a travel document while in India.

So it sounds like, because of all the if's related to option (2), option (1) (i.e. having someone courier your PR card to you) would be your best bet if it doesn't arrive in the mail before you leave Canada for your trip.

Edited by Rinnerz - 03 Feb 2011 at 8:01pm
Medical: July 29, 2010
CPC-M received app: October 12, 2010
Sponsorship approved: November 9, 2010
In Process (Buffalo): December 6, 2010
AOR received: December 14, 2010
Interview waived
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 8:07pm
Have you checked the CIC website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

I hope it helps....

racergurl55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racergurl55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 9:38am
My Family landed August 3rd. Two step girls got their cards in mid October.
End of November my husband got a letter to supply new pictures - which we sent back right away, and JUST got his card last week...and they didnt even use the new picture! Go figure!!

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:39pm
They told me 4 weeks but I'm not holding my breath.
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:44pm
Hi

Originally posted by RobsLuv RobsLuv wrote:

They told me 4 weeks but I'm not holding my breath.

It is showing 30 BUSINESS days (6 weeks) plus the mailing time.
PMM
EnglishMuffin View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishMuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 6:07pm
My partner landed September 30th 2010. No PR card received to date, although we've got her SIN, MSP etc. We're still waiting for a letter from the local office to let us know what is wrong - something to do with the picture according to CIC. We've been asked to wait until Feb 14th before contacting them again. It's looking like she will need to get a travel document in order to come back to Canada - she's currently out of country. I bet the bloody thing arrives the day she is due to fly ;)

js321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:52am
I personally would not leave.  You won't be allowed back into Canada until you receive your PR card, and in my opinion it indicates to immigration that you're not serious about staying.  I just think it may leave you with some extra explaining to do, which may then complicate your case.  Why not wait until you get your PR and then travel?
brasilboyfriend
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic