Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship with criminal inadmissibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:40pm

Just to be clear about the resources I am familiar with relative to these issues, the sources I rely upon to a large extent, and which may be of interest to anyone evaluating whether or not to apply for a TRP, allow me to link to those sources upfront:

OP 20 "Temporary Resident Permits

OP 11 regarding Temporary Residents generally

CIC website page regarding inadmissibility generally

CIC web page (with links) regarding Temporary resident permts generally

February Operational Bulletin 389

IP 1 Temporary Resident Permits

It is worth noting, as you have previously alluded to, there is some effort underway at CIC to mitigate the harsh impact of its policies regarding inadmissibility as it affects those who have a single conviction for what might be described as a "minor" offence, noting though that I not seen CIC documentation referring to "minor" offences per se. In any event, this is illustrated by the Operational Bulletin 389, issued barely two months ago (linked above).

This appears to be addressing the impact of inadmissibility on one-time offenders who received no term of imprisonment as part of the sentence imposed. One might generically refer to these as "minor" offences, but, again, that is not language I have seen CIC use.

This is rather new, however, and so how it practically fits into the matrix of qualifying for and being granted a TRP is not yet that clear.

The operational bulletin just issued in late February, it might be noted, OB 389, is substantively only about a fee waiver but which is clearly intended to facilitate easier grants of TRPs to this class of FN who is technically inadmissible (as I recall it may even refer to a single DUI conviction as an example).

Quote mpottier:
Quote If celebrities and rich people get granted TRP's more commonly that regular folk, then there is bias in the system, which violates the law.

Not really. That is, just because high profile persons get permission/authority to enter Canada more often than Foreign Nationals generally with the same underlying reason for inadmissibility does not necessarily mean it is due to bias.

It is, I would infer, more about the particular circumstances such individuals are in and the nature of the reason for their visit to Canada, than it is any bias in favour of such individuals per se. For a world-class artist or actor or athlete, for example, who has been invited to participate in a function of significant cultural importance, there is obviously a relatively compelling reason to allow them into Canada for that function. Other factors, like the risks involved, can be and probably are routinely analyzed in similar ways. In other words, it is not that they are rich or famous that gets them into Canada despite some technical criminal inadmissibility, it is that such individuals are more likely to be in circumstances which entail compelling factors in their favour. (And may have relevance in other factors considered in the granting of a TRP.)

Even then, though, the TRPs granted, so far as I understand it, are fairly narrow in scope, limiting the visit to Canada in a rather restrictive sense, including in particular the duration of the allowed visit.

But, of course, each individual situation presents its own pros and cons and issues and so on, and thus is very dependent on the individual, the reason, the context, and other details.

(Part of why it is so difficult to get a read on the nature and scope of who gets a TRP, when, why, and so on, is that the TRP process covers a huge range of reasons for entry into Canada . . . some for very temporary reasons . . . some involving long term residence and even including work permits and such, with all sorts of variations in between . . . some TRP's, for example, automatically result in a grant of Permanent Resident status when the time is completed. But CIC does not do much to sort one from the other for those of us who are mere laypersons trying to grasp what is available, what isn't, and so on . . . and of course this is part of why I emphasize that a lawyer's assistance can be important in this area. And of course I recognize that competent legal assistance is, indeed, beyond the means of many, which is just one more aspect of how much those who are not affluent, let alone those who are outright poor, are at a disadvantage in so many ways in the world as it is.)

Quote mpottier:
Quote the statistics for TRP's granted to people who are inadmissable and who also have a family class sponsorship in process is quite high. Yes people who are just coming as tourists are not given them as much. The percentage for sponsorship TRP's granted for people with minor offences is somewhere in the 70-80% range (maybe more as my math is not so great). These statistics are available on immigration's website and stats Canada.

I do not know the statistics regarding TRP applications. Nor do I know what 70-80 percent of what the statistic you refer to is really about . . . I am of course interested in where, precisely (link would be great) such information/statistics can be found.

It sounds like in your particular case you have appealed the rejected PR application. That, I think, is indeed a critically necessary aspect in keeping hope for the TRP alive.

In contrast to the suggestion of CIC efforts to mitigate the impact of CIC's policies toward inadmissibility relative to certain offences, "minor" offences one might say (though again, the term "minor" is perhaps a misnomer or could be misleading), the aplicable operational manual (IP 1 Temporary Resident Permits) and the general CIC online information generally says that a TRP is a "document that is only issued in exceptional cases." The other operational manual that covers this subject is, again, OP 20 Temporary Resident Permits, where the language is not the same but is similar.

Perhaps I put too much emphasis on the in exceptional cases aspect. I do not really know how exceptional a case must be. Obviously, if around three out of four applications are granted, that does not sound as if it is limited to "exceptional" circumstances.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mpottier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:20pm
Thanks for the information dpenabill. You actually beat me to the punch when it came to the new laws affecting TRP's I was just about to post it! It doesn't really affect people in PR situations, but it does a show an initial easing of the entry laws for Canada, here is a link again for anyone who may be interested.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob389.asp

Here is also a Newspaper article from the States, discussing the reason for the change of heart and what it might mean for the future.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/140403093.html

You are right dpenabill, the language of exceptional circumstances is quite vague. From what I have been told by lawyers and immigration Canada, is that family unification or visitation is one of them. You have situations like Lindsay Lohan being granted a TRP for a few weeks so she could attend and help with a club/bar opening (certainly nothing dire), and she was on probation for multiple offenses and served jail time. Exceptional circumstances is certainly in the eye of the beholder.
As for the statistics, I apologize, only the total granted TRPs given out each year is on the website (which could be for a multitude of reasons). I actually had to request more detailed information from stats Canada to get the number, and they just sent me a hard copy, so I will try and upload it, but I will have to scan it first :-/ As I said I am not a statistician so my number is a rough guess when it comes getting a number for TRP's granted to family class sponsorships with inadmissibility.

Thanks!
mpottier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 8:09pm
Hey I read this article and thought it showed some valuable information about TRP's , this was in the news today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/05/01/pol-conrad-black-canadian-permit.html

Those not familiar with Conrad Black, he renounced his Canadian citizenship, which is rare in its own right, but he also just served years in prison in the USA for fraud, and a few other offenses. This article also give some good stats on the amount of TRP's issued every year. The immigration minster says they issue around 10,000 a year, and about 6,600 of these are for people with minor offenses, and around 907 are for major offenses (they define this as violent offenses), the others are for everything else. Conrad Black was a issued a year long TRP, because his wife is Canadian. He obviously had a team of lawyers working on his case, but he hasn't even been released from prison yet!?
This article also sheds light on the possible double standard in this system. Very Interesting.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:37am
I also saw and read the CBC article. My wife gets worked up about stories like this (she does not want DUI offenders allowed into Canada either . . . she has a strict and I'd say unrealistically black & white perception of what and who is criminal and should not be allowed into Canada), and she gets especially worked up about someone like Black who was a Canadian citizen, by birth, and renounced it.

But, anyway, I suppose I should allow that there is more of a double standard than I have wanted to admit there is.

The citation to statistics in the CBS article is interesting: they are purportedly quotes taken from Kenney, including a follow-up on Twitter by Kenney.

More interesting is the language Kenney used in Parliament itself regarding Douglas Gary Freeman. Telling. Whatever the facts. The use of a pejorative attribution in that context is, well, as I said, "telling." One can easily conjure many pejorative appellations for Conrad Black.

Leading back to the double standard: discretion is an important tool necessary to the efficient and just functioning in many governing contexts, and yet it is also extremely vulnerable to abuse. Those who study and analyze and offer informed guidance about standards of discretion emphasize how important it is to have structured guidelines and clearly articulable criteria.

The TRP system, in contrast, appears to offer only vague standards applied based on general criteria with not much consistency or continuity required. A little scary actually.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

mpottier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 6:01am
Good news all!! We FINALLY got our TRP issued! hooray! They sent us an e-mail with the attached documents. They issued her a full 3 year visa! Very good news we are elated. They also mentioned that she can apply for a study or work permit upon arrival. I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their thoughts, experiences, and ideas on this forum. It was very helpful and let us get through this difficult time. I also hope this forum gives others hope for the future, and show that it can be done ( and in my case with no legal aid or immigration consultants). 

Cheers!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:35am
Good news, clearly.

The nature of the obstacles posed and difficulties involved in overcoming them is a lesson in many respects, ranging from the consequences which arise from even momentary lapses in judgment, to the avenues available to compensate and recover from the impact. (A just society must have processes for rehabilitation and the recognition of rehabilitation, and make this reasonably attainable including the incorporation of allowances relative to the nature and severity of the underlying lapse in judgment to begin with.)

You can hope this will lead to a favourable decision on H&C grounds in the sponsored partner PR application appeal and it will not take three full years to attain landed status.

Jsurf0826 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsurf0826 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 12:44pm
I had a quick question. I sent in my TRP and got backs letter around the 7 of march saying my application is being processed. I have a traffic citation for retail theft and a dismissed possession charge. It is now 3 months since they have started the processing, when should I expect to recieve the TRP?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 1:06pm
A traffic citation for retail theft?

The timeline question, nonetheless, is when should you expect to receive a decision on your application for a TRP. Could be granted. Might be denied.

Whether or not you can expect to be given a TRP depends on many factors in addition to the particulars of why you are inadmissible, although of course why you are inadmissible constitutes a large part of the decision-making criteria.

Either way, the timeline too will vary considerably depending on many factors particular to the specific individual, including the reason for which a TRP is being sought. Not sure, but it is my impression that the timeline varies so considerably that it is very difficult to predict, and probably impossible to predict given the minimal information posted here.

Jsurf0826 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsurf0826 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 1:29pm
I got a dismissed charge in 2007 and the non traffic citation for the retail theft happened feb of 2010. The retail theft was a non traffic citation which is less than a misdemeanor all I had to do was pay a fine. I have a long term gf in Ontario.. I was stopped this time last year and denied because of that. I got all the paperwork needed for TRP and submitted and got received there march 7. I requested for a year TRP for multiple entry because I have a full time job here in the states and just want to be able to visit my gf and her family on weekends and holidays.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 2:15pm
Overall: if you have used the services of a licensed attorney, that attorney is the better source of information regarding this. And, generally, since these things are tied to a range of technicalities and they vary so considerably from one person, one situation, to the next, a lawyer is indeed a far better source of information and opinion regarding this stuff.

In any event --

To be frank: those do not appear to be offences for which you would be inadmissible.

I assume you are inadmissible, however, so . . . well, the details matter (a dismissed charge should have no impact on admissibility for example; and an infraction should not make you inadmissible either), but assuming that whatever the technicalities are, they are relatively minor offences, the details likely have some impact on the timeline and whether or not the TRP will be granted, but for purposes of a forum like this, it is not feasible to predict, with any degree of probability, that timeline or even the outcome. (Again, a lawyer should be able to evaluate better and offer more.)

Just because the retail theft was prosecuted on a citation, it might be noted, does not necessarily mean it was not at least a misdemeanor. Less than a misdemeanor in most U.S. States is called an "infraction," and is not ordinarily considered a criminal offence under Canadian immigration, so far as I understand these things. But many states do provide for the prosecution of some misdemeanors by cititation . . . and a misdemeanor theft in the states is indeed considered an indictable offence for purposes of Canadian immigration (even though it can be, and usually is, prosecuted as a summary offence in Canada, since it technically can be prosecuted as either a summary or indictable offence, for immigration purposes it is an indictable offence).

All that said, your ties to a significant other in Canada may be part of the matrix underlying the decision to not allow you entry into Canada the last time. So this could affect how long the TRP application takes and it could affect what the decision is.

In any event, as I said, the timeline for a decision on a TRP varies considerably and is very difficult to predict.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic