Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship with criminal inadmissibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsorship with criminal inadmissibility
    Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:26pm
Hello everyone from Seoul South Korea. I have a big interesting topic to present and questions to ask. Currently I am a Canadian living in Seoul, South Korea. I have been here for going on 4 years. Currently I have a common law spouse who I have been living with here since September 2009. She is American, not Korean. She has been here for about 3 years. We are both on Korean E2 Visas, which are for teachers of children and adults. She teaches at an elementary school , and I teach University classes. 

Nevertheless, I would like to sponsor her to come to Canada and live with me in the Autumn of this year (Sept-Nov 2011). Our relationship is genuine, and we have all the paper work for sponsorship eligibility lined up and ready to mail off to the office in Ontario. 

However, this is where is gets complicated, she has 2 DUI's on her record. One occurred almost 10 years ago when she was 19, and just made a stupid mistake, there was no dangerous driving, no bodily harm ,and no property damage. The second occurred in the spring 2009, much to her humiliation. She was coming home from dinner with family, and an officer pulled her over for a random check (which is legal in her state of Maine), and gave her a DUI because she had drinks with her dinner (which she had absently mind-idly forgot about). Once again there was no speeding/dangerous driving, no bodily harm, and no property damage. She always cooperated, and paid the fines promptly. Her licence is gone and she doesn't intend to get it back anytime soon (She is eligible to get it back this year with restrictions, and get it back with no restrictions next year). Also, she is originally from a border town in Maine, and she can literally see Canada from her house. In the summer of 2009 we visited her hometown, and went to the border to visit my family in Nova Scotia (we didn't know about the inadmissibility rules). They scanned her passport and her DUI from 10 years ago popped up. They took her to an isolation room, and questioned her ( I was not allowed to go with her). She obviously told them the truth and was very forthcoming and told them of the second DUI that didn't show up on their scan. However, she was denied entry and we were told to turn around (Thank god she lives 5 minutes from the border). They offered us no information on how she could enter Canada. Lastly, her second DUI does no appear on her criminal record, we don't really know why (it's been over 2 years), but the State of Maine said they don't always appear on your criminal record if there were no aggravating circumstances, it would just appear on you driving record.  

Anyway, we later learned we should have went to one of the major border crossings to get a Temporary resident permit (TRP) from a trained immigration official (the smaller crossing we went across was not equipped with immigration officers), and that with proper paper work she can get this TRP issued for up to 3 years in length (and it will allow her to get a student and open work visa if it is issued for longer than 6 months). 

Nevertheless, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these TRPs, and how difficult they are to get? My spouse has lived in Korea for 3 years, and the Korean government doesn't care about these types of infractions, and they certainly trust her with children. She has also traveled to Brazil, China ,and Europe with no problems, in fact they almost laugh when she brings it up (like we are wasting their time with this, they are looking for violent criminals or smugglers). The immigration website is extremely vague on this matter, and I have no idea what they mean when they say TRP's are issued on compassionate grounds (does that include us?). Also, some websites say they issue these rarely, but I have spoken to numerous lawyers who say they issue these things daily, with few being rejected. Also, I used Stats Canada and discovered they issue thousands of these TRP's a years for much worse crimes, including armed robbery, manslaughter, sexual assault, and 'terrorist acts'!? I also called immigration in Canada, and they sent me an e-mail, stating that they had to change the rules for TRP's because too many people were getting rejected from the USA. They actually created a clause that celebrities and musicians coming to Canada can get TRP's more easily!? (I still have this e-mail, and I will try and post it).

Thanks to anyone who has any experience with this, we are going to apply for it either way, and we would rather not use lawyers since they charge way too much, and don't seem to offer any real advantage (in fact some lawyers told us to just try it by ourselves first). 

Thanks in advance.

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:40pm
The first problem is that the only TRP application I've ever seen a link to on the CIC site is an extension ap to be used by someone already in Canada on a TRP.  Maybe someone else knows where to find a link to an initial TRP application - I know there is such a thing cuz I was given paperwork of that sort to fill out at one time.  But it came to us directly from the Minister's office.

Second problem: regardless of how other countries feel about your wife's DUIs, no question they make her inadmissible to Canada.  She is not even eligible to apply for rehabilitated status until sometime in 2014.  So, for her to come to Canada, it looks like a TRP is the only option - she is not eligible for PR.  And, yes, humanitarian and compassionate consideration could apply to the two of you. 

The real question is how to go about getting a TRP.  I know they issue them sometimes at the border, and they issue them sometimes for people who are already in Canada and something happens that results in them being found inadmissible to Canada but there are sufficient H&C grounds to allow them to stay anyway.  If you've been talking with Canadian immigration attorneys already, one of them should be able to tell you how to get your hands on a TRP ap . . . or what to do if it's not an option to just send in an application.

Edited by RobsLuv - 23 Jan 2011 at 10:44pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
mpottier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 11:05pm
Thanks for the reply, Yes we found the actual application package. It is on the Websites of the Canadian embassy in the USA (it's also on the Canadian embassy in Seoul). The application itself is not that long, it's the supporting documents that are hefty. Also, American can apply for them directly at the port of entry, it is their right under NAFTA. However, no other country can. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:38am
Ditto all that Robsluv said.

Further observations: The second one is still quite recent. Perhaps too recent for H&C grounds to have sway.

I do not know much about Maine and its criminal justice system other than the reports about the George W. Bush arrest record there for a DUI in the 70s. Perhaps they do have a lesser offense (a number of jurisdictions have been implementing these in recent years) which is not exactly the traditional "DUI" or "DWI" or variation thereof. That would make a difference.

The exact record would need to be considered, and may require an attorney's analysis, in order to determine just what the conviction of record is for.

If it is for a traditional DUI like offense, she is indeed inadmissible to Canada and will continue to be for some time, and given two convictions I believe that upon becoming eligible will actually have to apply for rehabilitation status in order to become admissible in the future.

H&C relief may be available in the meantime, but, again, the more recent one is indeed probably too recent.

Here's the rub: one DUI is not good, but is indeed the sort of mistake that many young people make and then overcome. Two DUIs is not a mistake. It is not a mere lapse in judgment. Definitely not a matter of overlooking having had wine with dinner. OK, for some, a very few, it might be. But authorities, and CIC and CBSA are among them, see this very differently. They know the odds (statistically somewhere between fifty and a hundred offenses committed for each one an offender gets caught for), they are well acquainted with the nature of the underlying problem, and they thus make inferences based on the probabilities, not the individual, but on what is indeed most likely. A second DUI says there is a problem. Simple as that. For lots of good reasons. Not something that it is at all easy to convince any authority to the contrary, and indeed any attempt to convince an authority to the contrary is likely to be interpreted as denial and as a lack of rehabilitation. The statistics, by the way, solidly back their approach in this.

In the meantime, a Maine lawyer may be able to help (sometimes even a conviction can be, well, set aside, reduced, mitigated, or something; and at the least a consultation with a Maine attorney will inform her of what exactly the conviction of record is for). An immigration lawyer is a good idea in order to apply for rehabilitation status or assist in obtaining H&C relief and/or help with applying for a TRP. Yeah, that could be an uphill route and expensive. And, again, it may be too soon to do this anyway. She may need to put some miles and years of sobriety and being law-abiding behind her first. Yeah, DUI is a crime. And yeah, getting caught in the commission of criminal acts has consequences. And, yeah, it can take years to work one's way out of that imbroglio.   

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mpottier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 6:03am
Thanks  for the reply. I can see how the officials may see it the way you have pointed out. But we have never owned a car and have lived overseas most of our adult lives, where we have never driven. In fact I have never seen her drive. Also of course she is extremely remorseful, and her experience working with children and her volunteer work must vouch that she is not some raging drunk. 
Nevertheless, Canada is the only country in the world with this on the books even the USA allows people in with DUI's (it's on their website as long as there are no aggravating circumstances), and issue them green cards. As for Maine, they are notoriously incompetent when it comes to record keeping, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't bother. However, we have received the court dockets, and it just says "traffic misdemeanor, fine payed' for both instances. We have also received all the other documents needed form the website. I also called immigration and they suggested not to use a lawyer since the documentation is pretty straight forward and there is nothing a lawyer could do differently other than assist in the one personal letter or explanation.
I'm just curious as to how the stats point out people with much stronger criminal offences get issued TRP's (which have to be issued under the 5 year threshold). It has been 2 years since her last one, and we won't be coming to Canada until later this year or perhaps early 2012 if need be .Were not too worried about getting the PR, just a TRP which will allow her to work and live in Canada (which TRP's issued for longer than 6 months entail). Also in a worse case scenario I could get my green card for th USA, or we could just stay in South Korea  (but we can't stay here forever)

To be honest when I explain this to people they look at me in disbelief, and most Canadians don't know this happens. In fact travelers from the USA have cut in half since 2002/2003 since this law was enforced from 40 million to 20 million today. Most Americans are going else where. Since about a quarter of the American population have something on their records. Other countries don't have to worry about since they didn't sign an agreement with us to show an entire record from a passport. So tourists from Europe or Asia get in with ease.  It's all very over-zealous and lopsided.
Sorry I digress, Thanks for your thoughts :-)
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 1:57pm

Not sure why you think that she would be given status that would allow her to work in Canada even if she were to successfully obtain a TRP allowing her to temporarily reside in Canada as your partner. I am not all that familiar with the TRP process but am familiar enough to have strong doubts about the prospects for obtaining such status.

Otherwise I agree with (or at least understand) much of what you say ... except I do not really know about how other countries deal with foreign nationals having under the influence driving convictions ... and there are some details (like the suggestion to not use a lawyer) that I do not concur with.

That said, Canada has indeed cracked down on this. Read the "important information" at the link you give. (It further emphasizes reasons why I think the prospects of obtaining even a TRP without a permit to work are not good.) I have been attending a local annual Blues Festival here just about every year for nearly a decade, and every year of late there is at least a couple groups who are stopped at the border and not allowed into Canada because of old misdemeanor convictions. Many of these are performers who had come to Canada many times in the past without a problem at the border, but who are abruptly seen as "inadmissible."

But that is how it is, for entry purposes.

That said, there are multiple facets in your partner's case. And in this context it is hard to believe, for example, that a person at CIC would suggest not seeing a lawyer. That, I believe, is not just bad advice but, I believe, is inappropriate. Just deciding what course to pursue in this situation is a matter in which a lawyer may be of much help.

While I do not really know what the prospects are for a successful TRP application generally, in this situation, again, I suspect that they are NOT good..

Personally, in addition to a copy of the official court record (not just the docket entry) I would obtain the FBI certificate, and a State police certificate from Maine, and obtain a driving record from Maine, and engage in a consultation with a Canadian immigration lawyer familiar with the process to obtain rehabilitation status. What that most recent conviction was for really matters. The arrest record matters as much as the Court's records, but both matter. A consultation with a qualified lawyer would help to really clarify her situation. How you do that while abroad I am not sure.

The FBI and State police certificates should illuminate what is really on her record; but a copy of the disposition in the court (which should show what the precise charge was, its disposition, whether or not probation was imposed, and if so whether completed, and date of final discharge from court's jurisdiction, and so on). She will need both certificates in order to apply for the TRP anyway. In many instances, the FBI and/or State certificates will not be clear about what is on the record, and in those instances the court record really needs to be examined (and, again, not just what is in the docket entry).

It might be worthwhile to also obtain ... I forget ... CAIPS I think, but her immigration records with CBSA. Others here are much more familiar with how to obtain these records. They should reveal the nature of what is in her Canadian records relative to the attempted denied entry you refer to in an earlier post. All this information should be assessed/evaluated to determine whether or not she has a 2009 conviction which makes her inadmissible, or, in contrast, whether she may be eligible to obtain rehabilitation status.

For that really is the key: if and when she can obtain rehab status. That is probably what she really wants to explore ... including the prospects for obtaining such status prior to the expiration of the technical minimum time based upon H & C grounds in the event the more recent charge is indeed one that constitutes a traditional DUI-like charge.

It is my impression that protestations of remorse and in-fact rehabilitation (in contrast to simply a sufficient history of being law-abiding for the specified periods of time) do not weigh much. But in an application for rehab status relying on H&C grounds, they should be relevant and help (may even be necessary), but here again I think using a lawyer, to properly and persuasively make the case, is usually the better course.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mpottier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 9:09pm
Thanks again for the insight. You are correct about being stopped at the border and turned around. I have called the Border protection agency, since they are in charge of issuance of visas etc, at the border. They said while they can issue TRP's at the border (for Americans), they don't like doing it since it puts them on the spot, and they don't always have the proper information, so they recommended doing it at the Canadian embassy.  However, some recent events suggest that famous or prominent people get them issued at the border, case in point Lindsay Lohan who was issued one at the Toronto airport, and she was going to a club! (http://www.popcrunch.com/lindsay-lohan-banned-from-canada/).
We have also got a criminal record check from her state of Maine, and we have the FBI on the way. We went to the court house in her home town and got all the dockets and documents pertaining to her case. We also have letters of recommendations from her school principle and 3 prominent community members, including some Canadians (her grandmother is also Canadian).  So we will have all the documents required when we apply for the TRP when I have officially sponsored her.

As for the advice they gave us about not using or not endorsing using a lawyer, it is actually their policy since they have to treat every application the same no matter who does it. Again, it is on their website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/representative/index.asp). Otherwise it would create a two tier system, one for people with a lot of money, and one for everyone else. 

Finally and probably most useful was the e-mail they sent me when I called immigration about TRP's. It took a couple of phone calls until I got an agent who really knew his stuff. This is the e-mail he sent me and I don't know why it is not on the immigration Canada website since it really explains everything (sorry for its length):

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Symbol of the Government of Canada

Please do not reply to this email. 

Date: 2010-12-20

Sir, Madam, 

Thank you for contacting the Call Centre. I am pleased to provide you with the requested information: 

A *Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is a document proving that a special permission was given to someone who would normally not be allowed to enter Canada or remain in the country. Usually, people who are not allowed to enter Canada are refused entry to Canada. In some cases, if there is a compelling need for that person to enter Canada and if that person is not considered to be a danger to Canadian society, a TRP can be issued.

Some examples are:

·                   A sick child coming to Canada for medical treatments not available elsewhere.

·                   A member of a music band who has criminal convictions and who is coming to perform at a major concert in Canada.

·                   A person who wants to enter Canada but cannot apply for rehabilitation because less than five years have passed since the end of their criminal sentence.

Please note that a
 temporary resident permit can be cancelled at any time. If it is cancelled, the holder loses his status in Canada.

* For some inadmissible persons, no TRP will be issued. Instead, a counterfoil (sticker) will be glued to their passport.

The Internet links below will provide you with more detailed information: 

Description: List of countries and corresponding Canadian visa offices 
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp 

Generally, Work Permits are job specific. If you want to apply for a work permit, you need:

·         a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Social Development Canada; and

·         a job offer from a specific employer.

In some cases, work permits are not job specific, so no job offer or LMO is needed. These types of permits are known as open work permits.

As an exception, you can apply for an open work permit if you:

·         have been recognized as a Convention Refugee or Protected Person by the RPD;

·         have received a negative decision on your refugee claim but the Government of Canada is not yet ready to remove you from the country. In addition, you must be unable to pay for your basic needs without working;

·         have applied for permanent residence in Canada under one of the following categories and your application has been *approved in principle:

·         Spouse or common-law partner in Canada;

·         Live-in caregiver; or

·         Humanitarian and compassionate grounds;

·         are a **family member of a person listed above;

·         have asked for refugee status in Canada and you are waiting for the decision from the Refugee Protection Division (RPD). In addition, you must be unable to pay for your basic needs without working;

·         have a Study Permit and you cannot pay for your basic needs without working for reasons that are beyond your control;

·         have an unexecuted removal order against you and are unable to pay for your basic needs without working;

·         have a Temporary Resident Permit valid for at least six months and you are unable to pay for your basic needs without working;

·         are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker;

·         are the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student (including the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student with a post graduate work permit);

·         are working as part of an exchange agreement, for example:

o    participant in the Canada World Youth Program;

o    participant in an international student and young worker exchange program;

o    dependant of a foreign representative or of military personnel; or

o    professional athlete who requires other work to pay for their basic needs while playing for a Canadian team.

Approved in principle means that you received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or the local office stating that you are eligible to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, your family members.

** A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependant child or dependant child of a dependant child.

The Internet links below will provide you with more detailed info

Therefore she could apply for a TRP, then apply for a student or open work permit (as long as she is granted the TRP). Also note they had to allow athletes and musicians TRP access so Canada wouldn't become an artistic black hole. Also, he told me over the phone, that only some of the border crossings have immigration officials the others do not. If you go to these non-immigration crossings, your chances of success are very slim, since many of the guards are not trained for this kind of thing, and some are actually just students hired for the busy seasons, so they will just turn you around and avoid the problem. This is noted on the border services website:
If the office has a IMM (immigration) abbreviation, then they are equipped to handle immigration issues (there are only about 3 between New Brunswick and Maine). 
Anyway, thanks for the insight everyone, keep them coming, I really appreciate it, every bit helps. I also hope this posted info can help others.
yukonjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yukonjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 12:23pm
I'm almost in the same situation as your partner. I'm German, married since August 2008, convicted in Canada for DUI in February 2010 and deported to Germany in May 2010. I never filed for PR as I was in Canada, I went back and force across the border.

To be with my wife in Canada again I sent an email to the embassy in Berlin, Germany and asked what I have to do to get back to Canada. I got the following answer:

Dear Mr.            ,

Thank you for your e-mail!

Under Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, temporary residents and applicants for permanent residence in Canada may not be able to come to Canada if they have been involved in criminal activity. Temporary residents and applicants applying for permanent residence are considered to be criminally inadmissible if the person was convicted of an offence in Canada. For further information please refer to the following website: www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

You were convicted of or committed a criminal offence in Canada and may overcome this criminal inadmissibility by applying for a pardon. For further information, please refer to the National Parole Board website: www.npb-cnlc.gc.ca/infocntr/factsh/pardon-eng.shtml
According to the information provided, you are not yet eligible to apply for a pardon. However, in special cases, the Minister can grant admission to inadmissible persons and issue a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). Please note that this document is only issued if the reason for the applicant wishing to travel to Canada is sufficiently compelling to overcome the seriousness of the inadmissibility grounds.  

Should you intend to apply for a TRP in order to be reunited with your wife before you are eligible to apply for a pardon, please be advised that our office will only take an application for TRP into consideration, if you submit evidence, that your wife intends to live with you in Canada and has applied to sponsor you for permanent residence in the Family Class.

For information on sponsorship applications in the Family Class, please refer to this website: www.canada.de (Discover Canada \ Visa and Immigration \ For Non-Canadians who intend to >> permanently immigrate to Canada \ Family Class Immigration). Please note that your wife first has to apply for sponsorship in Canada. The sponsorship application will be processed by the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Mississauga, Ontario. Once the sponsorship has been approved, your permanent residence application is sent to the appropriate Canadian visa office, i.e. Berlin.

For information regarding the sponsorship process, please contact the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Mississauga, Ontario: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Once your wife has applied for sponsorship, you may contact us again for further information on an application for a TRP.  Please note that an application for a TRP does not guarantee a posititve decision and the issuance of a TRP, as each case is judged on its own merits.

Best regards,

Embassy of Canada | Ambassade du Canada | Botschaft von Kanada
Immigration Section | Section de l'Immigration | Visa- und Einwanderungsabteilung
berlin[email protected]
Téléphone | Telephone +49 (030) 20 312-447
Télécopieur | Facsimile +49 (030) 20 312-134
Leipziger Platz 17 - D-10117 Berlin
Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

I hope their answer helps a bit. My wife is on social assistance, so she isn't eligible to sponsor me. We have to wait patiently that she get a job and bring then our application in.

Let us know how things are going with that TRP. I wish you luck

mpottier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpottier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 6:59pm
Wow, I can't believe they deported you?! I know that is the law in Canada, but as a Canadian myself, I don't agree with it. It is too harsh, and a waste of tax payers dollars. Anyway, I am not 100% sure, but I think your wife, if she is a full Canadian citizen can sponsor you even if she is on social assistance or unemployed. It is her right as a Canadian citizen to do this, only Canadian permanent residence have to be employed or have money to sponsor family members.
I don't even live in Canada, and I can sponsor my common law, I just have to prove that I plan to return to Canada. I would contact immigration/embassy to double check.
Good Luck!
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 7:19pm
mpottier -

If someone is unemployed, then can still sponsor a spouse. However if they are on social assistance or bankrupt - they can't. Same rules apply to both Canadian citizens and PRs.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic