Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applying for jobs before arriving?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hrcanada1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrcanada1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying for jobs before arriving?
    Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 7:44am
The architect's job market better in Canada in this economy compared to the UK.
tonmoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonmoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 12:31pm
I come from asia .so I want a job ASAP.I'd like to be able to secure employment before I move but am unsure of the best way to go about this. Working as an architect in the uk it would be extremely difficult to interview for jobs in Toronto, my intended place of residence
hrcanada1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrcanada1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:34am
Thats really great discussion, actually I am also looking to applying for jobs before arriving. I am very thankful to all friends that are giving expert advice.
nirma1230 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirma1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 3:58am
Originally posted by onerussian onerussian wrote:

well cant you mention in your application that you currently live and work in the uk but you intend to go to toronto and shortly state the reason maybe you could agree on a video conference or show them your portfolio ?

yes mr you can apply from any where, but for test and interview you should go to canada, i have 2 brothers in canda and i have some information, but i will confirm also then i will tell you here in this fourm
thanks

change! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote change! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 2:52am
Smile hi guys, I need some advise? 

My cousins's bf has a brother looking for a caregiver for his 9mos. old baby, my cousin recommends me, in which her Bf's brother accepted. They are in Canada while I 'm in Philippines, I'm a graduate of Nursing and presently working in a Call Center. We have already exchanges emails and conversation's through skype and everything are working fine-- the problem is the caregiver qualifications need's a  6 Mos. training plus 3 years worked experienced -that I don't have. I dont know if they could wait for another 6 mos. so I could finish the training, since they need to go back to work by January and find someone to care for the baby.

Are there no options or any way that I could get the job and work in Canada? or is it the end..Confused

“I will prepare and some day my chance will come.”
:Abraham Lincoln
momofthreeang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momofthreeang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:07pm
Hi Beevers67,

My case: Back in 2006 I was already a PR (Skilled Worker Category) for a full year and still living and working in Mexico (we had to go back as we were not ready to make the final move) when I finally found a vacancy at one of my company's subsidiaries in Canada. I applied for the job, got a phone interview, then they flew me to Montreal for a face to face interview, and finally (2 months later), they gave me an offer. I was truly blessed to be able to come to Canada with a full time job in my area of expertise (supply chain).

Now, I tend to agree with Job Coach... finding a job takes time, effort, determination and a little luck. I had been monitoring jobs at the Canadian company since I started my PR application in 2003; I came to the Toronto/GTA area for 10 days on a job hunting trip; as soon as I became PR in 2005 I browsed Workopolis every day, and sent multiple applications (unfortunately with only a few replies); now, when the vacancy came up, I had the right experience and education, but I think I also had the luck that my boss-to-be saw some potential in me and went through all the hassle to relocate an international employee and her family.

It is not impossible to come with a job already arranged, but can indeed be very difficult. Being here in Toronto/GTA I have met many immigrants, and their stories involve a lot of sacrifice, and starting all over again... they did not lose faith and focused on their objectives. Took them a while, but the people I have met have good jobs now and are happy they persisted to overcome adversity.

I would also recommend joining LinkedIn, becoming an Open Networker and trying to expand your network of contacts in Toronto prior to your arrival.

Best of luck!
/CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION SUBMITTED May 10 '10 / RECEIVED May 14 '10 / ACK. LETTER Nov. 15 '10 / IN PROCESS Jan. 26 '11 / TRANSFERRED Feb. 23 '11 /TEST June 23 '11 /OATH Sept 16 '11/ SCARBOROUGH OFFICE
ALFREDO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALFREDO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:22am
he Trolley Song, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. The last of these has become a Christmas season standard in the United States and around the English-speaking world and is widely considered one of the greatest Christmas songs of all-time.

recent celebrity deaths

Job Coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Job Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 1:19pm

While not impossible, it's can be VERY challenging to secure employment prior to landing in Canada.  This shouldn't stop you from trying, but I want you to realize the practicality of it.  Even for those that come over for an extended vacation (2-3 months) 'may' not find employment during that time.

I work in the job search industry in Canada and the 'average' time it takes anyone to find re-employment is 2-3 months.  And this is if they are doing everything right.  eg) have a Canadianized resume, understand how networking works in Canada, how to approach a Canadian interview (as there are differences from other countries) and so on. 

Finding a job can be a full-time job -- it takes determination, a little luck and of course you have to have current and 'relevant' skills, education, training etc to the current market.

This link may provide some more insight:

Hope this helps!

David View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Beevers67 Beevers67 wrote:

A little help please,
I'd like to be able to secure employment before I move but am unsure of the best way to go about this. Working as an architect in the uk it would be extremely difficult to interview for jobs in Toronto, my intended place of residence.
Any advise would be greatfully receved.

It is best to setup contacts first.  Get in touch with architecture associations and forums in Canada.

Top Job hunting  sites in Canada:

http://www.monster.ca/
http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx
http://www.indeed.ca/
http://www.eluta.ca/

I  have also produced a series of videos featuring highly skilled immigrants discussing the challenges and frustrations of starting a new life in Canada. You may find the videos of interest, especially the one on Finding Work

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 11">

Web Video : Voices of New Canadians

http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14150&blog_id=323

All videos are produced by TVOntario, Ontario's educational broadcaster.  All content is produced as a public service and  is commercial free.
The Agenda with Steve Paikin is TVO's flagship current affairs program - devoted to exploring the social, political, cultural and economic issues that are changing our world, at home and abroad.
Tawandasemilo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tawandasemilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 3:40pm
Wish I could help my dear, i would also like to get some info as to how my daughter who has a BA in english could get in the work force here. She is living in Jamaica at this time. Hopefully someone could give us some idea as to how to go about this.
live like u r going die tomorrow, and learn like u r going to live forever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic