Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old age benefit questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEL_YEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old age benefit questions
    Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:46pm
Hi,

Can someone guide me to an appropriate forum where I can ask old age benefit questions?

I want to know what kind of benefits can a 65 year old expect who has lived and worked in Canada for 7 years? Basically looking for details on OAS and CPP or any other benefit.

Not sure if this is the correct forum so if someone can point me in right direction that would be great.
Maple_Leaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple_Leaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:29am
i dunno forum but i thought u need to be living ehre for 10 years not 7... i heard so don't know for sure... good luck
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 1:19pm
Not certain but I think CPP is contribution driven. At least that's what they told me. But I thought I had read elsewhere that one had to contribute ten years minimum. Makes a difference to me but it in a way it doesn't make a difference: I have to make the CPP contribution regardless even though I cannot contribute for ten years prior to "retiring" (recent CBC story reported that well over half of Canadians plan to continue working . . . and more than a third are, for financial reasons, on the same retirement plan as I am: work until I die).

In any event, less than ten years worth of CPP contributions means the benefit payable will be minimal at best, so nothing to count on much toward supporting oneself even if one does collect it after, say, contributing for seven years.

No eligibility for old age benefits for ten years; that is, last I looked, definitely not available unless one has resided (as in paid taxes AND lived) in Canada for ten year minimum -- question I do not know answer to in regard to this is whether one can delay "retiring" to an older age in order to get the ten years, or whether it has to be ten years prior to reaching that age.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
DEL_YEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEL_YEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 2:09pm
Thanks for your answers guys.

I called Service Canada and they did answer all questions I had.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 6:35pm
And those answers are?

As in, do you know for sure if you come to Canada at age 58, say, can you wait to "retire" at age 68 and still be eligible for the old age benefits? (That is, if you have not lived in Canada for ten years at retirement age, can you wait to retire until you have been in Canada ten years and thus become eligible for the benefit?)

And for CPP: is it true (like they told me) that if I retired after seven years of contributing I would get a benefit based on what I contributed . . . no ten year minimum contribution period for this?
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Horsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 10:08pm

CPP is not the only retirement plan available in Canada. Provinces also have their own retirements funds. In Quebec  employees pay roughly 3% of their salary , employers are legally obliged to match this contribution . That gives 6% of the salary (up to 44000 CAD / Year) to finance  Quebec retirees. This program called RRQ covers physical disability insurance and guarantee a minimum income for the retiree regardless of his contribution under the condition of having contributed for a period of 2 years. Maximum pansion however cannot exceed 1000 CAD / month and it is of course subjected to income tax.

http://www.rrq.gouv.qc.ca/en/programmes/regime_rentes/Pages/regime_rentes.aspx (Quebec)

Edited by Horsy - 07 Jan 2011 at 10:18pm
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:47pm
LAPP (Local Authority Pension Plan) is also one of the Pension contribution authorities, once you reached the ( factor 85 ) you get your full salary at the retirement.

"Canada, where good people live"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic