Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Application complication

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnasboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Application complication
    Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 6:31am
Hi, I am a qualified Canadian Resident that came from the USA to Canada. I am ready to fill out the application for Citizenship. Problem is....right now I am currently living common-law and have done so all along. But in August 2011, we plan to get Married in Florida and I will take on his last name.
So before my application even gets fully processsed my last name, and marital status will have changed. What should we do? because I have already been a resident for 4 years so I wanted to get my application going...so Im gonna end up putting down common-law as my status, and my maiden name as it is now....then 8 months from now my status will change to married, with his last name.
albela View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 2:53am
I think in such cases you will have to inform them and they will ask for a marriage certificate and other documents, but if I were you I would keep the maiden name till I get the citizenship and then once i am a citizen I would get it changed before I apply for the passport. Please wait for other members to respond, I could be wrong. 
Donnasboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnasboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:52pm
No that for sure I know is wrong. It says you must inform them of any name changes prior to swearing an oath. That part I know for sure. Im just wondering if in the middle of the process or before the oath will this cause alot of delays and complications
vbpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:05pm

when did you apply for citizenship?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic