Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing jobs while in WP inside Canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing jobs while in WP inside Canada
    Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 2:47am
I'm currently in Toronto working with employer A  in a Work Permit.  I recently applied for PR.

Now I am planning to accept offer from employer B.

1. Do I need to apply for a new Work Permit?  If so, how will I do it as I am already inside Canada.

2.  What will happen to my PR processing? Do I need to reapply?

Thanks.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 3:38pm
Hi

Originally posted by immion immion wrote:

I'm currently in Toronto working with employer A  in a Work Permit.  I recently applied for PR.Now I am planning to accept offer from employer B.1. Do I need to apply for a new Work Permit?  If so, how will I do it as I am already inside Canada.2.  What will happen to my PR processing? Do I need to reapply?Thanks.

1. You need a new LMO from the employer and a new work permit before you start work. You apply to Vegreville when you have the new LMO. No effect on your PR.
PMM
immion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 10:25pm
Thanks PMM. That clarifies.

1. What is the processing time in vegreville for a work permit?
2. Is there any limit on how many work permits you can apply?

Thanks.

Edited by immion - 30 Dec 2010 at 10:29pm
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 12:01am
Hi

Thanks PMM. That clarifies.1. What is the processing time in vegreville for a work permit?2. Is there any limit on how many work permits you can apply?Thanks.

As many times as the no. of LMOs you have, but you can only have one job and one work permit at a time.
PMM
JGK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 8:16pm

Thanks PMM. That clarifies.

1. What is the processing time in vegreville for a work permit?
Thanks.

The CIC website has a list of current processing times here
Set out to leave the first vapour trail in the blue-sky scenario.
fedone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fedone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:06am
hello immion,
i have some question for you and i hope you can help.
Fro your experience, can you tell me:
How long does it take to have an LMO? Is it difficult to get?

thanks
JGK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by fedone fedone wrote:

hello immion,
i have some question for you and i hope you can help.
Fro your experience, can you tell me:
How long does it take to have an LMO? Is it difficult to get?

thanks

It depends on what province you are in and the type of job you have applied for.

The employer does the application, the prospective employee has little or no input.

The employer has to show:

1. That they have thoroughly advertised the job correctly
2. that they cannot employ a canadian citizen or permanent resident with equivalent or better experience than you.
3. That they are paying the expected rate for the job.

Point 2 is probably the one that causes most LMO refusals.

in the current economic climate, LMO's are becoming harder to get unless there is a shortage of your skills.
fedone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fedone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 3:07am
tks for the info JGK.
I will move to Toronto, the idea is to get ANY job, it doesn't matter which, as long as I could extend my WP. Do you think there are any chances to get a job and LMO within six months?
Or do you suggest to wait? My permit to come to canada with an open WP will last for one year.
I have a diploma in tourism with more than 10 years experience in the Tourism industry but I don't care to work in any other fields.

Many thanks for the consideration.
JGK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by fedone fedone wrote:

tks for the info JGK.
I will move to Toronto, the idea is to get ANY job, it doesn't matter which, as long as I could extend my WP. Do you think there are any chances to get a job and LMO within six months?
Or do you suggest to wait? My permit to come to canada with an open WP will last for one year.
I have a diploma in tourism with more than 10 years experience in the Tourism industry but I don't care to work in any other fields.

Many thanks for the consideration.

The trouble is getting any job won't work. You will never get an LMO for most general job types. Most employers will employ a canadian or permanent resident rather than go throught the hassle of attempting to get an LMO for general job type.

Tourism related occupations are not on the current list of in demand occupations for skilled workers and should an employer try to get you a LMO for this type of job it would fail at step 2 as there are Canadian applicants available.

As a personal example, I worked in the GTA in a NOC level 0 job as a scientific manager (an in-demand occupation). My uS owned employer closed at the start of the recession. Finding another job, getting the LMO and TWP took about 11 months.
fedone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fedone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 5:22am
tks again jgk. And thanks for finding the time to answer.
I have worked in the airline industry for many years, my noc profession is listed in the federal skilled worker program. I sent the application as a permanent immigrant but cap was unfortunately already reached.
From most of the job seeker internet sites, it seems that in GTA a lot of companies are looking for skilled employees with same NOC of mine. I could enter and work in Canada for six months but If i want to stay i have to find an employer able to ask for a LMO.
My work experiences can be proven with reference letters and company performances evaluation sheets, but i am still not sure to find a job.
What do you think from your experience? I have 0% chances to succeed?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Edited by fedone - 12 Mar 2011 at 5:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic