Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Citizenship application Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrebc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citizenship application Question
    Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 12:04am
Hi All,

I have the following question: I qualify to apply for Citizenship next month; but next summer I have to be away for 4 months work overseas. Will this travel affect my application in any way?  and do I have to notify CIC about my new address overseas. I hope you guys can answer this question for me, and thank you so much in advance.

andrebc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrebc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 11:31pm
Can anyone answer the above question, please!
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:24am
Originally posted by andrebc andrebc wrote:

Hi All,

I have the following question: I qualify to apply for Citizenship next month; but next summer I have to be away for 4 months work overseas. Will this travel affect my application in any way?  and do I have to notify CIC about my new address overseas. I hope you guys can answer this question for me, and thank you so much in advance.

Many applicants, including me reported that at the interview, the officer said "CIC has nothing to do with the absence after the application date". In other word, They don't care about your trips AFTER your application. 
Citizenship Act is clear, If you have completed 1095 days of physical presence in Canada in the last 4 years preceeding your application,  you have basically no problems to leave  (temporary) Canada for any personal matter, I say (temporary) due to the fact that the Citizenship Judge may consider your ties and commitments to Canada when taking a decision on your case, this means that even you leave for a specific period of time for a temporary work contract, it's better to leave some sort of ties in canada (family, house/appartment etc...).

This is my own opinion, i say no problem to leave after your application, but bear in mind that the trips or leaves are temporary and make sure to maintain ties and commitments here.

Some officers don't even look at the stamps AFTER your application date, so also consider that it's up to the interviewer/officer handling your file's way to deal with such cases, some are strict and firm, some are easy going.

Edited by edmotonresident - 26 Dec 2010 at 12:26am
"Canada, where good people live"
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:30am
I would also add that you are better off having an address in Canada for CIC correspondence, such as family or relatives address.
Not sure if they send mail outside Canada for Grant applications.
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:37am
 I think (not sure) they don't mail/communicate with applicants outside Canada for citizenship grant applications, they only delay test/oath events in case the applicant informs/declares his/her absence.
andrebc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrebc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:41am
Thank you guys all, for the response, I will be away just for 4 months, then I come back, I dont know if I have to change my mailing address while I am away?
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:57am

Thank you guys all, for the response, I will be away just for 4 months, then I come back, I dont know if I have to change my mailing address while I am away?

As Canvis said, better to keep your address in Canada active or if you have a family, you should keep receiving correspondance via the same address, but i strongly recommend that you inform CIC of your absence, knowing that it would take at least 5-6 months to receive the first communication with CIC (acknowledgement) after your application submission.

HOUSIN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOUSIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:58am
Just forward your mail to a friend till you come back. you can do it at Canada post
andrebc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrebc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 1:19am
Thank you all for your reply, one more question: As I said before I qualify to apply till the mid of March, is it possible to apply now with a lost dated signed application?
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 3:00am

Thank you all for your reply, one more question: As I said before I qualify to apply till the mid of March, is it possible to apply now with a lost dated signed application?

your application will be returned to you if you do so
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic