Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how long does cic detroit take to resend copr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how long does cic detroit take to resend copr
    Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 7:46pm
i applied for my immigration under family class (spouse) from toronto. my file was transferred from Buffalo to Detroit. In about a months time my case was approved and i got my PPR from Detroit. i sent my Indian passport with the other required documents.

After one month i received a tampered envelope from CIC, which had my wedding invitation card, pictures and medical results. I wrote back to CIC and informed them about the same.

i was shocked when they told me, that the same envelope contained my Passport and COPR also. i realised that i had lost my stamped passport. immeditely i went to the police station and reported my passport as lost and simultaneously notified CIC detroit

next day, i went to the Indian consulate to file for my duplicate passport. being a special case, i was called for an interview. i explained my situation to the officer and he asked me to wait. after a couple of minutes he handed over my original passport to me(stamped) and told me someone submitted it at the consulate as an unclaimed item! i was plain lucky!

now the problem is, i got my passport back, but i m still missing out on COPR. CIC Detroit has asked me to mail the passport back with the document reissue fee(cad 30)

i have to travel to india on very urgent basis, but cant come back to canada without COPR nor travel to USA since i dont have visa.

what other options do i have?

can i send my passport from india to cic detroit with a canadian return address! will they process my application?
if they do process, would the processing time be longer than the usual?

if i delay my trip to india a little more, how long would it take apprroximately, to reissue my copr

please help, as i am really blank about what to do!
thank you

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 6:44pm
You can't mail the passport from India - it's illegal.  You really have no choice but to postpone your trip and wait until the COPR is re-issued.  Buffalo reports a 15-business-day turn around for COPRs to be initially issued.  Detroit should be held to the same timeline . . . and a re-issue under the circumstances might be even faster.
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
mithdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 8:26pm
@robsluv -- thank you for the reply, 
i also wanted to know if i send them a prepaid envelope (canada post priority envelope), would they send me the passport and the copr in the prepaid envelope. 
if so, what would i need to fill in the TO section. From will me be address. 

i also saw online about the windsor address, so would CIC- detroit send tha package to windsor and that would be routed to me through the priority canada post. 

would you have any information on this. 

please and thank you .. 
and wishing you and your family a merry christmas
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 5:51pm
The only information I have is from our own passport request from Buffalo.  I am residing in Canada and was instructed to mail the passports, along with a self-addressed, pre-paid Canada Post Priority Express envelope, to Fort Erie, ON.  (Canada Post will know which is the proper Priority Express envelope depending on which Province you're in.  CIC says "International", but that's not the right choice if you're residing in Ontario.)  Anyway, Ft Erie receives the package and sends it on to Buffalo.  My understanding is that once the COPR is attached to the passport, Buffalo sends it back to Ft Erie, and Ft Erie uses the pre-paid envelope you supply to mail the passport back to you via Canada Post.  The reason for this, of course, is that you cannot purchase US postage (for mailing the COPR and passports back from the States) within Canada, and you have to provide the return postage for the passports. 

I think, in your case, you should first determine where your passports need to go . . . whether to Detroit again, or to Buffalo - and if the Windsor address works the same for Detroit as the Ft Erie address does for Buffalo.  I honestly don't know.  Your sponsor should contact their MP's office and they should be able to get that information for you through the Minister's office.

Edited by RobsLuv - 27 Dec 2010 at 5:59pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic