Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work permit extension. Live-in caregivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madeira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 2:02am
Hi Carmenuta,
thanks.

I will call CIC at some point. I did call them while getting ready for WP extension. Other people's experience is important too. It can help you avoid some mistakes.

Well... I've got a month and I can apply for PR in Macrh. It'll probably be the end of March. Getting those Police Cerificates is a pain! I need one from Russia and one from UK.

A lot of people complain about it. You get all those things before you come to Canada and now you've got to do it again.

I am Russian and now I'm in BC. What about you?
Carmenuta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmenuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 12:08pm
You're right... other people's experiences are very important, but not their "opinions". I remember not sending a piece of paper where I was supposed to just mention that I didn't have any dependents (thinking I didn't need to) and CIC called for that paper even if it wasn't necessary. CIC wanted that from me. How much more important are your pay stubs than that blank piece of paper, basically. What i'm saying is you should INFORM yourself before you can rely on what us, people, here will tell you.

I asked where you were from, because you will need a police record from your country and you will have to start that as soon as possible, like now :-), and that police record will also have to be translated along with your other papers which are in Russian. If you need a place for cheap authorized translations, go to MOSAIC, on Commercial in Vancouver. It's maybe 15 minutes away from Commercial Skytrain Station.

I'm from Romania, and live in BC, right now.
Application sent: September 17th, 2009
Application received: September 18th, 2009
Started processing application: October 26th, 2009
Decision made: March 17th, 2010

Carmenuta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmenuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 12:14pm
Oh, I'm not sure how it all works in your country, in Russia, but what you can do is get your parents, mom or dad, to get the police record for you. You can send your mom the right of attorney (which is what i did). She should send you some identification card so you can get the right of attorney done here, in BC and then you send that to your mom or dad or whomever you want to give your right of attorney to, and it will take you less than a month. It took me about 2 weeks. If you go through the Embassy or Consulate here in Canada, it will take you at least 3 months. It's your call. All this info is available on CIC website as well.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/russia.asp

Madeira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madeira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 12:46pm
Thanks Carmenuta.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, getting the paperwork ready for Police Certificates. Just debating about Russian one. When I applied back in the UK, I got my parents to ge me one back home.  CIC tells you to get it from the ebmassy if you are abroad, but you are right, it might take up to 2-3 months. From what I know, lots of people used certificates issued back home and got them translated. It worked just fine.

Have a good weekend.

Edited by Madeira - 29 Jan 2010 at 12:47pm
Carmenuta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmenuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 1:54pm
You have a great weekend yourself, Madeira. Good for you! Yeah, they accepted my police certificate just fine. It was as normal as it could be and it took less time. I remember getting anxious over that one matter 8 months ago. I freaked out because i had no clue they would take so long to give me one, so then I went on a shorter route, more expensive -true- but it got me what I needed :-). You take good care! You've got good supporters here, so don't worry!

amzm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 9:34pm
hi madeira.... they won't send you anything... if you apply for an extension of your work permit with the same employer..processing will take 60-75 days upon the receipt of your application... and you should send your papers at unit 202

they give priority with those applying a new work permit under new employer which is 30-45 days processing....documents should be mailed to unit 555

both units are with the same address and building... you said you are applying for an extension of your work permit with the same employer...you should sent them at unit 202...but if you mistakenly sent them to unit 555... they will still process it but will take a longer time... just like what happened to me...

God bless...

amzm
birthplace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birthplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:23pm
my girlfriend applied for her live in caregiver visa about a month ago.  
she will be in canada for 6 months come May.
can she stay in canada while waiting for her visa even though her visitor visa is only 6 months?
If not is there any way for her to stay in Canada longer than the 6 months?
i read today that she has to go back to the States after the six months and can not come back for another 6 months.  if this is true is it valid if she receives the visa while in the states?
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 3:16pm
She can apply for a visitor extension once inside Canada, apps to CPC-Vegreville. No guarantees getting approved but worth the try.

Originally posted by birthplace birthplace wrote:

my girlfriend applied for her live in caregiver visa about a month ago.  
she will be in canada for 6 months come May.
can she stay in canada while waiting for her visa even though her visitor visa is only 6 months?
If not is there any way for her to stay in Canada longer than the 6 months?
i read today that she has to go back to the States after the six months and can not come back for another 6 months.  if this is true is it valid if she receives the visa while in the states?
"I shall pass this way but once. Therefore, any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic