Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driving license

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waseemf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving license
    Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 5:25am
Maja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 8:29am
You have to translate your drivers licence in either English or French. And get a paper from the embassy that is called Authentication of drivers licence experience. With that paper you will still need to pass G1 drivers written exam and later on G2 road test, but you are waived of all waiting times and you don't need to do everything from scratch. If you don't have that paper it will take you approx. 2 years to become independant driver.

If you are moving to Ontario let me tell you that DriveTests are still on strike.
Vienna:
Apr 14/09 - Application received at CIC-M
April 28/09 - Decision made, letter sent
May 20/09 - AOR received
Aug 31/09 - PPR request by email
Sep 3/09 - Got visa
Oct 27/09 - Landed in Canada
waseemf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waseemf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 8:46am
Thank you Maja,

When you say the embassy , you mean the Canadian embassy in Dubai/Cairo or the Egyptian embassy in Canada?

As for the strick , I though they have opend limited service no?

Regards
dealic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 9:56am
They have some services. My husband (an American) was able to go in and get his G as all he required was an eye test and to fill our the paperwork. I think you can write the G1 written exam. However you cannot take the Road Test, so you wouldn't be allowed to drive independently if that is required for you. I don't know the rules for people for other countries. I only researched it in our case, and as he has been driving more than 2 years in America, he could go straight to a G and skip the tests.
Maja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 12:14pm
Yes he can get direct licence exchange since he is American (some countries have that privilege, you can find more on the internet). But in Waseemf case is different. He is in same boat as I am. You need that paper from Egyptian embassy in Canada (I had to send cheque to Slovene embassy and it cost me 47$), I don't know how much they charge for it. There will be written how long you are G licence holder in your own country and licence number etc.

You can get G1 written test done, but I think there are only 5 offices in whole Ontario that are opened! I was in Brampton one, since I didn't want to drive to Toronto. I was there at 8.30 in the morning as they open and line was so long, that I was waiting 6 hours outside in cold weather to get my G1 written test done. As soon as they stop their strike I can go directly on road test for G licence (as I mentioned before - because I provided that paper from the embassy). G1 test cost me 85$ (includes eye exam and 5 year G1 driver's licence), I think that I have to pay another 75$ for G licence road test once that will be possible.

Vienna:
May 20/09 - AOR received
Sep 3/09 - Got visa
Maja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 12:16pm
All services they provide is out-of-country and out-of-province exchange licence. They don't answer the phone calls, so don't even bother calling them.
You need:
- your drivers licence
- COPR letter or PR card
- Passport
- Authentication of drivers licence experience
- Contact lenses or glasses
Vienna:
May 20/09 - AOR received
Sep 3/09 - Got visa
waseemf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waseemf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 12:38pm
Thanks for all the information ,

Do you have any idea how long does the Authentication of drivers licence experience takes normally and can I bring it over from the authorities in Egypt or is it better to do it in Canada?

Regards
jstmarried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstmarried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 12:46pm
You are able to drive with an out of country liscence up until 60 days if valid and they have extended this till the strike is over this is how my husband is driving for the past three months. He had an ontario driver's liscence before but it has been more than 3 years so he still has to go through that process of testing and eye exam. We manage to get him on insurance too, had to get approval from their hq we used the same company he had before.
Allison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 2:01pm
I heard on the Ontario news last night that DriveTest and the union representatives have come to an agreement that will "likely" be approved by the striking workers. The report suggested that all licensing centers could be open by Jan 6, 2010. A handful of offices re-opened with limited services in November and I was able to exchange my license after a 4.5 hour wait in the cold. I would suggest you use your 60 days and let the backlog clear before trying to access any DriveTest services.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic