Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intern wants to immigrate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intern wants to immigrate
    Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:09pm
Dear forum members,
I will explain my situation shortly:

I'm graduated in 2007 in Ukraine, Bachelor of Computer Science. Currently I'm doing my internship as a network administrator, here in Ontario. I came here in December 2009 and now have 5 month left before April 30, when my work permit expires. My employer is offering me a permanent job. Currently we are promoting the job position that I supposed to take, in order to get HRSDC opinion, which is the requirement to apply for work in Canada.

From what I know, I can apply for immigration as a skilled worker with permanent job offer, but - my current job offer "must be valid both when you apply for a permanent resident visa and when the visa is issued". So I'm not sure how long it take to process my application.
Second option is to apply for the temporary work permit within Canada, but I'm not sure which is my case:
  • you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
  • you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job

because I'm on the work permit, but I'm on internship, which is can't be extended, because the max term is 18 month.

Question: What are the options I have and what's the best way to immigrate for me?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by artem - 29 Nov 2010 at 11:06pm
Rayhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 3:15am
You can still apply for skilled worker category if you have the minimum experience. Also you can apply to graduate school as an option so if your visa is not renewed and you don't have a job you can be in school while your application is being processed. Fastest way is meet a cute Canadian girl with Ukranian parents and get married.

artem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 2:33pm
haha lol. you're not the first one telling me about marrying  a Canadian girl))
I haven't thought about the graduate school yet (I think I couldn't afford it, do you have an idea how much it cost?), but things a lined up for now. I'm going to apply for work permit and then for a permanent residence.

however, I have another question: can I apply for the work permit and at the same time for the permanent residence?

thanks for the answer!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic