Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can we fight Immigration scammers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffreyto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can we fight Immigration scammers?
    Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 12:37pm
Guys,

I am Canadian and I have a friend who is immigrant from south Asia, he was landed immigrant
in 2004 and he was scammed by a bunch of people to fake his residency by asking him to put
his residency address as their home address, and he was paying them monthly for this
service while he was outside Canada.

To add to that, they told him they can fake an employment by asking him to pay them monthly and they can show that many as payroll after subtracting tax from his money and they will deposit the money in his account minus the salary tax, and they used their friends to accommodate that by showing fake employees with fake payrolls, so they can reduce their businesses tax, by using my friend's money and others too.

They kept asking him for money and sometimes blackmailing him if he hesitated, that if he didn't send the money they will throw his mail in the garbage. He spent almost $10000 in two years, till he was fed up.

He came back to Canada in 2006 to stay and found a job and he cut his relationship with those scammers and became a Canadian citizen this year.

When he told me the story, I felt sorry for the new immigrants who fall for such traps and
I asked him to go and sue those guys and inform the authorities, but he doesn't know where
to start and also if he started the process, it may burn him too as he was part of the scam
but a victim and I think there are many new immigrants in the same situation and they are
afraid to talk, but we need to stop those scammers for ambushing those victims for
residency and Tax fraud.

Can any one help in this? What do you recommend? What could happen if he sued those guys or
reported them Canada revenue agency or police?

ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 6:16pm
Hi Jeffrey,

It's a shame that these kinds of things happen, but unfortunately we live in a world that is corrupt. In some places it's worse than others.

I think there would be negative implications for the new immigrants as well if they try to take legal action against the scammers because they very well knew it was wrong to forge a partnership with this sort of illegal activity.

I think it's best to consult a lawyer in cases like these before personally proceeding any further.

Edited by ajgodinho - 15 Nov 2010 at 6:17pm
optimus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 12:26am
I wont call your friend a victim... he was pretty much partner in crime. He fooled Govt. of Canada by showing his 2 year residency here where in reality he was out side Canada. In the future, if he ever runs into any sort of trouble and Govt of Canada decides to investigate his case.. he will be in trouble and your Citizenship oath becomes void if you used misleading information regarding residency.
I, myself, am South Asian so please don't think that I am making racist comments here but South Asian community living GTA is pretty well known for practicing some standard and well tested methods to show fake residency in Canada. Then finally when CIC starts screening everybody , then we start complaining about racial profiling.

Finally Canadian Citizen , yahoooooooo
Ben2009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 9:37am
Its because of such individuals that CIC starts getting tougher and those who are innocent get stuck in the queu, One day day you will cought up never mind.

Originally posted by optimus optimus wrote:

I wont call your friend a victim... he was pretty much partner in crime. He fooled Govt. of Canada by showing his 2 year residency here where in reality he was out side Canada. In the future, if he ever runs into any sort of trouble and Govt of Canada decides to investigate his case.. he will be in trouble and your Citizenship oath becomes void if you used misleading information regarding residency.
I, myself, am South Asian so please don't think that I am making racist comments here but South Asian community living GTA is pretty well known for practicing some standard and well tested methods to show fake residency in Canada. Then finally when CIC starts screening everybody , then we start complaining about racial profiling.

Appl Sent 09 Spt 2011, Received at CPC ......., Tranfered to Nairobi.........., In Process.........., Only God knows when
Vaga View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:02am
Huge mess in goverment structures, that's the main reason.
Of course, described individual (friend of topic-starter) - scammer. He initiated scamm, he paid for this and meanwhile he was also scammed, but this is secondary.

If CIC, Canada revenue, Police and CBSA would organize periodic data exchange, which is really not very difficult (every immigrant is obligated to hav SIN, so they can link everything to your SIN), they would prevent many problems and simplify entire process of immigration control and analysis.

Of course, such procedures, as PR Card renewal and citizenship files would benefit from this.

Now right after Citizenship test instead of Language knowledge test they ask you about your emloyment, criminal and travel history, while they could already get this information more accurartely.
This process looks like an interview for visa in the embassy. I can not say, that I liked my conversation with Immigration agent after I passed the test.

If they suspect anybody with or without reason, they start this RQ process, which makes huge delays and give applicants many stress.

So, main reason of immigration scamm, humiliating questioning after the citizenship tests and RQs (Residency Questionary) is Governmental own MESS and disorganisation.
dacobru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dacobru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:50am

What I see here is an individual who did some unlawful things to keep his residency. When he completed the citizenship process, he decided he was a victim of scam and decided to report it. (Why he didn’t do anything before getting his citizenship?)

I am not sure which thing is more unethical; if lying to get a citizenship, or trying to report the person that helped him after getting what he was promised (Maybe he wants his money back?).

In my opinion and as everybody said here, he is as responsible for the scam as the person who provided it, and both should be reported and punished as the law permits. That is what is happening now in Arizona, where not only the smuggler gets punishment but also the person who hired him.

Finally, and as Ben Said, that is in part the reason why the citizenship process is getting longer and complicated, because few people tries to take shortcuts that affects the rest of the applicants.

Edited by dacobru - 17 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
kal_ottawa View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kal_ottawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 11:47am
your friend is the first criminal.
|sent:dec14,2009|received:dec16|ecas:may21|letter:jun10|process:nov11|transfer:jan05|FP:feb01|test:mar15|oath:apr20,2011|
Ben2009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 4:12pm
They are all criminal Kal you are right, but one day they truth will catch up with them, they are just pretending as if they are not the one who did fraud to come.

Originally posted by kal_ottawa kal_ottawa wrote:

your friend is the first criminal.
Appl Sent 09 Spt 2011, Received at CPC ......., Tranfered to Nairobi.........., In Process.........., Only God knows when
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic