Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 8:55pm
Hi

Originally posted by Siouxie Siouxie wrote:

Other ideas..

1) go to a photo booth in a mall (I sent my visitors renewal in using one of these)

2) get one professionally done, take it home, scan it into your computer and then use photo software to size it correctly, print and cut into as many as you need.  (I did this for my next ones I sent in for my PR card, medical etc).

3)  See if there is a 1 hour photo store nearby = they were the cheapest for getting a professional one done. 

4)  Phone your local Sears - they have portrait studio's and do immigration photo's

Smile

Don't use the photo booth photos, they are usually refused for the PR card as the background is usually wrong, and they have a tendency to fade.
PMM
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 12:26am
Ditto

I am surprised that you cannot find, as ArityMonk suggests, an independent photographer nearby who does "passport" photos for a very reasonable price, with far more assurance as to compliance with the specs (for somewhat like passport photos but different), and, at least for me I was able to go back to the same photographer and get additional photographs printed for a lot less . . . well, could not be all that much less because, frankly, the originals were not that much. I got my passport request which required photos with specs for the PR card in time to simply go back down to the "studio" and they printed additional copies of my earlier photos, print modified to meet the specs, for just five bucks apiece as I recall. Not the arty types, but the usual studio portrait photographer types, just not one of the big chains which "trains" employees to be their "photographers" rather than hiring real photographers.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 3:01pm
Patience - where in Ontario are you? 
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
Patience Tuesday View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 11:01pm
Hello! 
I'm in London.  Have actually found someone, too!

Victor Aziz, Photographer.  As ArityMonk and dpenabill have said, independant AND affordable.  A little under thirty dollars for the ten.  Time stamped, too. 

REALLY good fees for other stuff, too.  I'm a believer!  =D

We're getting married in mid-March. 
When should the pics be done?  I know that they have to be under 6 mos when the DMP and CIC get them.  We're going to be sending in the fingerprints end of December, start of January for their sixteen to eighteen week timeframe.  I'm aiming for end of March for the medical, and dropping in the marriage certificate mid to end of April Should send two sets of prints, just to be sure?

Do you suppose our timing is a little "off"?  Start of April for medical, keep prints as is, and expect certificate start of May?  Just asking, and thank you all again!

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 2:54am
Timing of photos: I waited until just a few days prior to my appointment with the DMP. That is the soonest you need them, and unlike other documents for which the timeline can be slow and somewhat unpredictable (marriage certificate for example, sometimes the police certificate), these sorts of photos are usually printed within the hour (or so), or at least within a day.

My medical got scheduled sooner than I wanted (anticipating timeline for obtaining other documents and especially the marriage certificate), but this is not a big city and the DMP available was headed out of the country for an extended stay in England, so it was do it sooner or travel to see someone else.

I got the FBI cert way early. FBI website said . . . cannot recall specifically, but it was at least several months, yet I got the cert back in four weeks or a little less (others reporting longer timelines during the last year) and thus they were nearly five months old by the time I applied, and of course the conventional wisdom is that they must be dated less than three months old at the time of applying. Did not cause a problem. But yeah, timing obtaining the police certificate can be a bit tricky.

Marriage certificate was our main wait. Ontario's "expedited" service turns out to be, probably, the slower way to obtain the certificate, since you have to wait for a certain number of weeks to pass before they even allow you to make the expedited request. Whereas if you submit a routine certificate request (at least three weeks after the marriage, allowing time for the paperwork to be submitted and received), most report getting the Ontario marriage certificate back much sooner than one can even submit a request for an expediated one.

You should be in good order. We did not even decide to marry and have me apply for PR until early November, and we had the application submitted by late April (and PR visa was issued early August).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 10:18am
RE: expidited marraige cert. in Ontario.

What we did was handle everything ourselves.  The priest gave us the documentation that he's normally supposed to send in...  but we sent it in ourselves, with a cover letter requesting expedited processing due to immigration sponsoship - we also mentioned in the letter that we were going to order the certificate online in advance.  The day it was received at the Registrar General, I went online and ordered the marriage certificate via the 'regular channel' (i.e. not expidited).  We got the marriage cert in the mail 3 weeks after they received it (which is about a month and a half faster than normal. 

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 1:46pm
Our marriage certificate was sent to us in Vancouver about 4 weeks after our wedding. Our marriage commissioner sent everything in for us. I expected it to take longer. 

The FBI clearance on the other hand took 3 months to get back. Thats what I was waiting on before I could send in my application. The day I got that in the mail I was so happy! I went straight to the post office and sent in my application. 
Spousal Outland (Buffalo)
App Rcvd: 7/19/10
Sponsor Approved: 8/20/10
Buffalo Processing: 9/7/10
Decision Made: 9/28/10
PPR: 9/30/10
COPR and PP in hand 10/12/10
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 12:55am
Thank you, dpenabill, Harmonia and Megen.  I'm so thankful for the added info.

We paid the 1040 fee today, and I put the sponsor's name as the payer.  I also included Tim's name as well, but over the other.  We'll see if it gets rejected or if we have to pay again or whatever.

I guess that means fingerprints are next and I'm leaning to send two sets instead of just one, as a just-in-case scenario.  I think we can have them scanned but then printed on a sheet to send in, but I'll look again at the specs. 

Thanks again, all!
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 11:58am
Dear heavens. 

I went to Western Union yesterday to acquire an $18 Money Order in US funds for the US Treasury.  That was explained twice, clearly.  I was charged the small fee, and after the calculations paid what I owe. 
Signing the back of it, I then flipped it over and wrote "US TREASURY" on the 'pay-to' part, and went home.  Never before have I gotten a money order, and yes, I was in a bit of a rush to get me and my groceries home.  I did not look at it more than a cursory glance. 

Upon arriving home, I look at this thing more closely.  Claims it's in Canadian funds at the top of the slip.  The amount is for $18.80.  They want exact change, in US funds. 

Alright then, what do I do, please?  Also, when I *do* get the man to the fingerprinter, they scan his fingers and then print on the sheet provided?  I'm still confused on that one. 
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 12:09pm
Not sure what your fingerprinter will do. Mine were done in ink, but at a US police station.

As far as the money order goes, western union may not be the best place.

If you go to the post office, they will easily give you a money order in US funds. I've never had a problem at all going through the PO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic