Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discover Canada - post sample Q's here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 133>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 5:16am
Also, last question...do they give a person a hard time if they are currently not employed full time at the time of test? (not working abroad..just not working at all...in the hope of starting a course in the new year at a college in Canada)..does this matter...when they are asked by the officer?
Currently a PR- applied for Citizenship
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 3:56pm
Below is copy of my report on test/interview from Montreal timeline thread, might be useful here as well.
- - -

Ok, did my test/interview at 1025 Rue Saint-Jacques today. Took little more than 1 hour for the whole process. At the entrance you show invitation paper and attendant let you in. Everybody were gathering in a waiting room with the seats until it was the time printed on invitation. There were 70-80 people in total. Then agent came and folks over 55 were invited to a "ceremony room" to do interviews with the agents, they were called by their names. Everybody else proceeded to a test room.

Test was very easy-- I didn't have any dates at all and one question with the names I had was something about Sir John A. Macdonald, what can be simpler? The level of difficulty of question is on the same level as on training websites, i.e. nothing tricky and sophisticated. The study booklet can obviously be used to produce much more difficult questions that are in the current versions of a test.

When you complete the test, you put booklet with questions with answer sheet in a basket and proceed directly to the "ceremony room". By the time people were starting to finish their tests, agents in the "ceremony room" were finishing interviewing people over 55. There was no delay, i.e. we didn't have to wait for everybody to complete their tests to queue up for an interview.

Somebody was bringing up applicants' cases in folders with checked answer sheets to the "ceremony room" and putting them into baskets of interviewing agents. There were total of 4 agents in this room doing interviews, plus another one who was interviewing in another room, because there were not enough tables in front for 5 people in that room. Agents were taking cases from baskets and calling up the applicants. Organizers tried to sit applicants as far as possible from the interviewers, so it'd be not so easy to hear the interview dialogs.

I'm under impression that interviewing people had nothing to do with your case directly before an interview, i.e. they were not specifically designated to do your interview. One interviewer just took several cases from another one when he ran out of cases from his own basket.

I wouldn't say all interviews were especially short, at least not for everyone, some people were questioned for 10, maybe even 15 minutes. One interviewer was asking someone about different periods of time in Canada and was pretty thorough.

My interview was rather short and lasted for about 5 minutes. Agent asked for ID's (PR, health card and drivers license), copies of bio-pages of current passport and passport related to a 4-year period, also asked to show a COPR original. Agent had a checklist form with lots of items on that list, maybe about 15-20, each of them had a checkbox and a comment field related to a specific question. So, when doing interview an agent would tick a checkbox and/or write something in a comment field.

The interviewer went through the passport stamps and compared them with a residence calculator printout while ticking the in and out dates that were matching stamps in passport. I had all the stamps matching trips, so there was no problem. Also, the agent refused to use my reference table with trips/stamps I had prepared for interview.

Other questions that were asked:
  1. How long have you been living in Canada?
  2. When was the last time you traveled out of Canada and for how long? Checked the stamps in a new passport.
  3. When you got your PR? (I've got PR after living in Canada for several years).
  4. What do you do and where do you work?
  5. What company is doing and where it's located?
  6. How long have you been working there? (a comment like "same employer" was made in a checklist and some box ticked).
  7. Then I was asked about unemployment period (I also noticed that there were big questions and some handwriting in my original application form in a red ink, seemed like around a section related to employment, but I'm not sure 100%). I explained that I moved from one province to another without having a job and then found a job there.
  8. What's your current address?
  9. Do you rent or do you own?
  10. Have you ever had problems with the police anywhere?
  11. Have you marital and family status changed since application?
That's it, as far as I can remember. I didn't get and RQ or anything and was informed that if judge approves the case, oath will be in around 2-4 months after test date. While on my way out I noticed another group of people gathering in a waiting room, so probably they do tests for 2-3 groups a day.

One other thing I noticed I'd mention that may be related to interview or maybe not. Somebody was checking my LinkedIn account as anonymous user 2 hours before test and between 2-3 weeks ago, right around time when I received test notification or notification could be issued. I thought that was unusual-- 1st, I don't remember anonymous users checking my profile before, second, timing seems suspicious to me. So, maybe it's CIC "googling". Here's how it looked when I got back from the test:

LinkedIn member
This member chose to be shown as anonymous
2 hours ago

LinkedIn member
This member chose to be shown as anonymous
2 weeks ago

I didn't know that somebody could peek on your profile in LinkedIn while remaining completely anonymous (and that's actually feature of this service, as it turns out) and I don't like it. I found there's lots of discontent about this feature among users of this site-- it was supposed to be a professional network site based on openness, instead they allow groups who want to remain secretive peek on you without going for any lengths whatsoever. Seems there's no way to disable this feature for own profile either. I'm disappointed in this service.
pree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 2:09am
 anyone in Toronto, ON doing the test?

Having a tough time with questions like this..

Which party is the official opposition party of Ontario? 

(isn't it NDP? I select this on the practice test and it is wrong- it says Progressive Conservative Party is right anwer-

could someone please clarify? Thank you so much
Torontoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torontoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 8:58am
pree --

Remember, they are asking for the official opposition party in Ontario (provincial government) and NOT at the Federal government level.

The opposition party in Ontario (province) is the Progressive Conservative Party, and its leader is Tim Hudak. 
The opposition party at the Federal level (house of commons) is the NDP. Its leader is Thomas Mulcair.

Similarly, the party of power in Ontario's provincial government is Liberal and the head of the government (Premier of Ontario) is Kathleen Wayne.
The party in power at the federal government level is the Conservative party and the head of government (prime minister) is Stephen Harper.

Hope that's helpful 
(Information as of Dec/2013).

Edited by Torontoz - 02 Dec 2013 at 8:59am
Toronto (St. Clair) Received: Sep.6'11 | In Process: Apr.25'12 | Transferred: Jun.5'12| Test: Nov.20'13 | Oath: Feb.10'14
pree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 3:00pm
Thanks so much Torontoz for your reply!

Quick question: at the test, where can you keep your belongings? I'm planning to bring a big bag (like a laptop bag) with various documents etc just in case I am asked to provide any proof etc., and winter jacket.

can we keep these with us at the desk where we write the test?

Did they tell you did on the test the same day that you wrote it? Thank you
Torontoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torontoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 6:36pm
pree -- I think belongings stay on the floor next to you. 

With regards to the results; they told me the result of the test during the document verification & interview. It's really an easy test if you read the book few times and do plenty of online practice tests. 
Toronto (St. Clair) Received: Sep.6'11 | In Process: Apr.25'12 | Transferred: Jun.5'12| Test: Nov.20'13 | Oath: Feb.10'14
pree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 11:34am
Hi Torontoz, thanks for your reply!

Q: Do they take the PR from you at the day of the test? It happened to a friend of mine, what if one needs to travel during the time between the test and oath? 

Thanks
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 2:00pm
Clarification: Ontario Premier is Liberal leader Kathleen Wynne (not Wayne).

BTW, I am not sure, and of course test participants are ordinarily instructed to not divulge actual test questions (some have reported they did not get this instruction), but generally the reports suggest that these sorts of questions about current government leaders are not usually or often asked. My sense is that these sorts of questions are only likely to be questions if there is an oral examination (usually attendant an in-person hearing with the CJ if the written test is failed, now twice failed before there is a knowlege of Canada hearing with the CJ).

If those who have attended the written test experienced differently, that is, if there were questions about current government leaders (federal or provincial), I think you can say so without divulging the actual question asked, and your further clarification of this would be appreciated.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 2:17pm

Originally posted by pree pree wrote:

Do they take the PR from you at the day of the test? It happened to a friend of mine, what if one needs to travel during the time between the test and oath?

I have seen no report of this and it is procedurally not at all likely, at least not part of the regular processing.

That said, the PR card belongs to the Canadian government and if it is expired or if CIC has some other grounds for concluding that the PR card is invalid, it could be taken, in effect seized. Of course this can happen at a POE as well, or during any contact with CBSA or CIC in which it is determined that a person is in possession of an invalid government document. This would have no impact on a person's capacity to travel, since an invalid PR card is of no legal use.

Reminder: status as a PR is not dependent on possession of a PR card. Thus, for example, a PR can still travel abroad without a PR card in possession, and upon arriving at a Canadian POE is entitled (statutorily) to entry into Canada (subject to criminal/security matters, if applicable) even though the PR does not have a PR card in possession. The only handicap imposed is that PRs must ordinarily display a currently valid PR card in order to board commercial transportation (mostly airlines) destined for Canada; the PR abroad without a PR card can obtain a PR Travel Document (from applicable embassy abroad) if necessary for this purpose.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
pree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 3:13pm
Thanks so much!

I called CIC and they also said that PR card is not taken at test, just looked at as ID.

Also, those were practice questions wanted the clarification on that and thanks to Torontoz for replying.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 133>
  Share Topic