Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Koseki Tohon?  Civil status documents for Japan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koseki Tohon? Civil status documents for Japan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipanemasand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koseki Tohon? Civil status documents for Japan
    Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 8:09pm
Help!

This question is intended for someone who is versed with the immigrations process for Japanese nationals.  It's regarding the Koseki Tohon and other documents needed to prove identity and civil status document.  Can you clarify what this means?

The checklist for sponsoring a spouse lists the following:

7. IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENT
A marriage certificate, birth certificate, Family Register or certified official copy and a translation of your unaltered "Koseki Tohon" and "Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon" (all names in the register, even the ones that have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence, etc) including details of your birth, marriage and divorce (if any) must be submitted. All names of your family members, even the ones that have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence, etc., must be included. The translation should be in English or French and done by a certified translator.

The first sentence, because of the way "or" is used, is worded ambiguously such that it can mean many different things, including:

1.  If you provide any one of those documents, such as the marriage certificate alone, it is sufficient and do not need to provide the other listed documents.
2.  You must provide a marriage certificate and a birth certificate.  In addition to those two documents you must provide either A. the family registry OR B. The Koseki Tohon AND the Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon.
3.  You must provide either A. Marriage certificate, birth certificate and family registry OR B.  The Koseki Tohon AND the Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon.

So, my question is 
1.  WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO SUBMIT?
2.  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A Koseki Tohon AND A Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon?
3.  ISN'T THE FAMILY REGISTRY JUST CALLED KOSEKI TOHON IN JAPANESE?

If there's anyone out there with more experience and knowledge about this, I would infinitely be grateful if you shed some light on this matter.

Thank you.
i
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 11:27pm
Hi there, i!

I am no expert but my common-law partner and I have recently submitted our applications and can simply tell you how we interpreted that info. We interpreted it as a list of items any one of which would be sufficient.

Part of my logic behind that is, not all who are applying are married, therefore it would be impossible for many to provide both a marriage certificate and another item on the list. In our case, we were applying under common-law status so obviously, we wouldn't have a marriage certificate.

The Koseki Tohon, is indeed the Family Register in Japan and we did submit that.

In very basic terms, as it was explained to me, the difference between Koseki Tohon and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon, the Koseki Tohon is the older, paper system and the Kaiseigen is the more updated, computerized version (I might have the two mixed up but you get the picture). Not all municipalities have the newer version, so if all they can provide is the older style version, that is what you send. Best to provide a letter explaining that as well so that immigration is clear that you have not actually failed to provide the second document. And of course, don't forget to have a certified translation of it done in English or French.

And of course, if you want to supply more proof than the minimum, it can only help to strengthen your case!

I hope that helps, i!

Also, if you like there is another thread on here you might like to check from time to time with regard to Japan application stuff:
http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96&title=tokyo-timeline-discussion

Peachy
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 11:36pm
Oh yeah...here is one more link for you. You might find more info on some posts in this thread. It is the Tokyo Timeline/Discussion from the forum website that has been grandfathered:

http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44961
Peachy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic