Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Processing time Update at cic.gc.ca

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by audball audball wrote:

11 months for Buffalo seems off if you're an American going through that office

And if you are not? (because I am not....I am having legal status in Canada, and decided to send my application there instead of Vienna because the timelines were the exact same ones on the "old" timeline info, and I would rather fly to Buffalo for an interview as fly back to Europe, if that happens to come up)
Well, I hope I did not make the wrong decision...but I guess only time will tell.
Joe_Gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe_Gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:21am
This discussion all seems very interesting to me as I submitted through Buffalo as well. Our package -- Spousal Sponsorship -- was submitted around the first of June. My wife was approved as a Sponsor rather quickly (approx. 1 month) and the package was sent from Mississauga to Buffalo. We received notification that it was approved and we were requested to pay the Landing Fee approximately 1 month ago. Since then we have heard nothing. Does anyone know what happens next? Will I be asked to go to the Buffalo Consulate to show my passport? In other threads I have seen statements that some people are being asked to "mail their passport"? Is this true? If this is the "next step" when does it normally happen once the Landing Fee is paid? Many thanks for any help you can provide.
Saya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 10:34am
I'm not sure I like how they are presenting the stats. It's nice that it seems to be based Qrtly, however looking at the London figure of nine months seems very misleading. Folowing cases as I went through the process my best guess would be more on the four month side. I assume the nine months is probably more the max side of things, but still the range of 4 to 9 is a little more hopefull for new applicants. Just my $0.02.
Meds - Apr 13/10
App rec'd CPC-M - Apr 21/10
Sponsor Aprvd - May 27/10
App In Process/Meds Rec'd - Jun 16/10
DM - July 27/10
PPR via Email - Aug 4/10
PP w/ VISA - Aug 24/10
CommonLaw - London
silentoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silentoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 2:48pm
They're updating "Step 1" on a weekly basis. And I religiously check at least every week now, got pretty pumped to see CPC-M go down from 41 to 37 days again.

(also, I basically check every day anyway Smile)
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 5:42am
I am fairly confident that most applicants going through Buffalo should see a processing timeline of significantly less than 11 months.

The timeline may be getting longer. The change in format for CIC's presentation of "how long it takes to process" an application may have been implemented to mask how much longer it is or will be taking. Hard to say. Hard to imagine, though, that what has persistently been the case for the last few years, as in that most spousal sponsored PR apps going through Buffalo reached the decision made stage in less than six months (CPC-M sponsor processing time included), has suddenly and dramatically increased beyond that.

It is disappointing, if not disconcerting, that CIC has gone to a less informative application timeline format.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
silentoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silentoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

It is disappointing, if not disconcerting, that CIC has gone to a less informative application timeline format.

True, it seems if anything the change should've gone in the progressive direction with more information.
EnglishMuffin View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishMuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 11:30am
I would imagine its an approach taken by CIC to limit the number of people contacting them unnecessarily early in the process. Having just the one figure for 80% of applications in the last twelve months is a clearer line to draw as to when you should contact them about the status of your case or involve your MP.

Just my 2 cents.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 7:45pm
I thought that myself, that the change in format may indeed be in large part a reaction to how much CIC resources are diverted to respond to, well, impatient inquiries, an attempt to stem some of demands on CIC staff. I have not seen any formal explanation by CIC, and if anyone else has please share, so while this seems a fairly probable explanation we do not really know. And, in particular, the public is no longer informed as to how long it takes to process most applications (as in fifty percent); the gap between six months and eleven months is a long time for those waiting to be reunited with their partner -- if most qualified applicants who submit well-done and thoroughly supported applications still see (statistically) a final decision in approximately six months, that is information CIC should share. Families seeking unification should be entitled to realistic information as to how long qualified applications take to be processed, not some average incorporating the processing times for incomplete, unqualified, or otherwise problematic applications. Sure, in contrast, people should be more patient before demanding the expenditure of government resources to address their particular case -- although the anxiety and worry involved can be expected and government services should be responsive to such needs.

In other words, just because some people make premature demands on CIC for information does not mean CIC should cease offering realistic, particular information about the process; punishing most to address the problems posed by a few is simply wrongheaded.

And, in the meantime, there is no way for the public to know whether or not CIC will indeed now be taking several months longer to process most applications . . . the public will only be informed if the processing of a number larger than one in five applications takes longer (that is, so long as CIC processes 80 percent in 11 months, there will be no notice to the public if the fifty percent which was being processed in six months or less is now taking eight or ten months to process).   
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:55pm
It's frustrating. It does simplify the information they're publishing, and make it marginally easier to understand, but at the cost of the really important 50% mark, like dpenabill said. It would have been much better for them to use the 50% number, if picking just one to publish.

The real problem (which could actually cause logistical issues for CIC) is that many people will now look at the published numbers, and decide to apply inland, when in fact they would have gotten a decision really significantly faster applying overseas, because they don't understand that the published timeline is actually only for 1 in 5 cases... it's an overestimate for 4 out of 5, to the extend of being down-right misleading for those straight forward, no-complications applications typically processed in only a few months.
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
abstractioness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:20pm
This is really disappointing. 9 months for the second stage of inland processing?! So after I get a work permit I can't leave the country for a further NINE MONTHS? I hope that what you're saying is the case for the Buffalo, that on average everything will be processed faster than stated.
INLAND
Application received: 24 Sept 2010
Processing started: 15 Nov 2010
AIP: 27 June 2011
Landed: 4 Aug 2011
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic